20x30 1.5 Story in Flagstaff AZ

Started by Matthewpeace, August 04, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

The driveway is still not finished but I am almost there.  I Can see The Other side now.

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

MountainDon

Nice looking foundation! 

Are you doing the drive yourself or is that a contractor? Just curious... I'd like to have a tractor like that or maybe a skidsteer.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Matthewpeace

I have done all the digging myself.  The driveway, grading and footings.  With all the hours I have put in with my backhoe it was cheaper to buy my own than pay for someone else to do it for me.
About a week before I started this project I came across this backhoe and got it for a great deal.  Best investment yet.

Matthewpeace

This week I managed to spin a rod bearing on the backhoe.  It has served a good purpose and I sold it this morning.  Not quite finished with moving earth but we will find a way.  I got the insulation on the inside of the stem wall per code and got it back filled and compacted ready for plumbing on Monday.  We have decided to go with a stained concrete floor for the finish floor.  The plan is to have the floor pored in 1 week. 

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

Matthewpeace

UK4X4

and there I was thinking thats going to be quite a nice large basement for running pipes etc...........and now you've filled it with earth ?

I have a similar depth basement, 4-5 ft deep, it will house the furnace- in already- water pump and some holding tanks for the house
TV distributing and network distribution etc etc , all in the house but safely away from the usable space.

Tickhill

Me too, would have been a breeze to plumb but also noticed no access opening. Good luck with build!
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

rick91351

Bummer about the hoe.  Been real handy to have around in the winter time. 

BTW you build is lookin' good!!

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Matthewpeace

We decided to have a stained concrete floor for the finish floor.  I have always liked that look. There was a good amount of room in there and I second guessed it once I had the block finished, but I am sticking with the original plan.  The original plan called for a shorter block wall.  But with running into the rock ledge at the front of the footer I had to go a few courses higher to be able to slope the grade away from the house.  The plumbing goes in today for inspection on Wednesday, ready to pour this week.  Framing starts in 7 days.

Matthewpeace

@UK4X4
I like that idea that you have all that under the house.  It took a bit of head scratching for us to figure out where to put those things without taking up usable space but I didn't want to give up the concrete floor.   

UK4X4

probably a dumm question but why the insulation then ? if its all being buried in dirt

I could see insulation under the poured floor being usefull, and I guess at the lower end where the backfill won't cover the walls
is that the reason ?

Matthewpeace

The insulation threw me off too.  It's code up here to insulate the Inside of the stem wall with 2" foam before back filling .  Its supposed to be for new energy efficency. 

Matthewpeace

The foam will also go two feet in around the perimeter under the slab

Matthewpeace

dablack

I'm not trying to be the safety police.  Really I'm not.  I let my kids ride in the bucket of the tractor and all sorts of other stuff, but that picture freaks me out!  It looks like that wall to the left could have come down on her at any point.  If it would have come down when she was leaning over to grab some dirt, it could have been really bad.

Good outside help is hard to find.  Please be careful.

Matthewpeace

I appreciate the concern.  The reality is she wanted to get in and so I put her there snapped a pic and took her out.  She does love the dirt

Matthewpeace

Assuming the plumbing inspection goes as planned this morning the slab should be in by Saturday as planned.

Matthewpeace

The plumbing inspection passed this morning and the afternoon got everything back filled and compacted for the final under slab inspection.  We are hoping to pour tomorrow afternoon.  My family is coming from out of state on Sunday to begin the 7 day framing / dry in with me.

Matthewpeace

The county wanted the interior wall to be a bearing wall for the full loft upstairs and how I modified the loft floor framing plan

MountainDon

Looking good Matthew.

I don't recall seeing it mentioned but are you grid power connected?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.