Powered by frit-sticks  ;)

Light and towel bar in the bath.

Light in the loft.

nathan.principe

good to see some progress! Ive always enjoyed following this thread

ScottA

A bit more progress.

Redoverfarm

Scott it looks like your original structure is going to have to adorn some gutters or maybe you intended on an outdoor shower. ;D

ScottA

No shower. The gutters are on the list already. I just didn't get to it yet.  d*

Redoverfarm

Scott the reason I made notice is that it would dump on the deck (walkway) between the two.  I take it that the new addition will have a gable on that end to the old  ;) structure.

ScottA

The roof of the new part will extend over the deck to make a sheltered porch kinda like the one on the main house. There will be a gap of 2' between the old roof and the new. Kinda hard to explain. You'll see in a few a weeks. It will be a hip roof. Both will have gutters to catch the run off.

ScottA

New pics.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Thanks Don.

Before anyone screams that I did it wrong, I know I left out all the king commons. I did it on purpose. This is a small building and what I got is plenty strong enough for this application. Saved some work and some wood.

Redoverfarm

IronPatriotTN

Looks great. One of my favorite projects on the forum.  8)

Texas Tornado

Scott what is the height inside the guest house?

ScottA

Quote from: Texas Tornado on December 18, 2010, 06:37:34 PM
Scott what is the height inside the guest house?

Cieling is the standard 8'.

HoustonDave

Scott,

Is the ceiling height (under the lofts) in the main house 8'?  The pics of you framing it seem to look like the base walls were 9 or 10'  Is that right or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

Tell you what man, I sat down with my wife and went through all 45 pages of your saga with her.  You have done some incredible work here.  I can see the gears in my wife's head spinning..I may be in trouble.

You are an arteest.  You have done an amazing job.
My lakefront cabin project in East Texas
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10025.0

ScottA

In the main house, in the bath and under the loft the cieling height is 7' above finished floor. By code this is legal in bath,kitchen, laundry and storage areas, which all these areas are in. I used 9' precut studs for the exterior walls. Thanks for the kind words.

glenn kangiser

Looking great as always, Scott.

Is the guest house going to have a nice backhoe view window?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Nope. Just regular ol' windows. FYI I did finish the roof. I'll try to get picks in the next couple of days.

glenn kangiser

Good move.  Then it can be a bit more leisurely.  Looking fwd to the pix. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bayview

Thanks for the X-mas pic . . .   Your tree "just" fits under the loft!    :)

Maybe Santa will bring you some new tools!

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

ScottA

That giant tree my wife picked "just" fits in the house.  :)

ScottA

New pic. I got 1 window in and the door. The other 2 windows are on order. They should be in sometime this week. Been busy with other things but it's progressing slowly. We got a little snow this morning. It's been a very dry winter so far.

Redoverfarm

Looking good Scott.  Better you than me for the snow. Although we are expecting 6-8" tonight and in the morning it is a far cry from last year. ;D

rjionline

Hi Scott, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am inspired by your design and craftsmanship. Its a bit overwhelming to me at this point as I have been in the dreaming / design phase for a few months now since we bought a property up on Lake Superior last August. We just have our trailer on it right now and money is a little tight due to the land purchase, so I will be starting with a guest house and then build the main cabin closer to retirement. I like the way you have layed out the two buildings and I think this would work well on our property. Think I might start a thread soon. Thanks for sharing!

ScottA

w* rjionline. I'm happy you like the cabin.

Well we have a blizzard comming in tonight. Expecting -2 tomorrow night so I can finaly get a real test on the heating/insulation system. Coldest we've seen so far this year. For info we've burned 1/3 of a cord of wood so far this winter. That's not much work time in wood cutting so the cabin is proving to be easy to heat. About an easy day of work and less than 20 bucks in gas oil saw blades gloves etc. You can't go wrong heating with wood. It's a little work but its nice and warm and very cheap. I chop all the wood by hand since a wood splitter cost more than a 10 year supply of firewood delivered. Stay warm!