Cason Two-Story 20x40 Texas update 10/10/07

Started by Jimmy_Cason, January 07, 2006, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

(From John R. 11/26/07)

There are many pages of information about this fine owner builder house. (Click blue page numbers at top left to go directly to a page.)
• Here is a link to COSTS - scroll down 2/3's of page where Jimmy explains the $28,000 he has spent getting to this point.
• To see the customized Floor Plan Layout and early construction photos scroll down this page.
• Link to the construction PLANS.

Here is a link to Jimmy's Photo Update (outside the forum on Flickr)

glenn-k

Nice collection of pictures, Jimmy.  It really adds to your story.  The keywords you used in your title should allow us to find this several ways.

glenn-k

That sounds like a good idea, Daddymem.  I'm going to leave it to John to do if he sees fit, --too many choices on board settings for me.

Daddymem

I think it would be a huge help, thanks.  I just remember that fateful day I typed "Country Plans" into Google and was directed here.  It was very intimidating, this didn't have the face of a DIY site, all the posters had the appearance of being experts and here I was barely knowing how to hold a hammer.  I saw the gallery and thought those were beautiful houses but I can't do that.  I eventually saw some posts with owner builders and saw they weren't very different from me...but that took a while, there are sooooo many posts on here.  You might not think to search for posts showing construction of the plans on this site.  I think if I found the forum for the first time and saw a section "Projects by CP Members" and there were all these people of different backgrounds building their own beautiful homes it would have convinced me sooner to take up a hammer (yeah, yeah, hammer is getting in this hand soon enough).  I have a feeling there are a ton of lurkers on this board who may be convinced to start their own project up and we may never hear that they exist, but they would be thrilled to have a single place to get ideas on building their own dreams and maybe they will share a blog, photo page, or their own website.  I know Mommymem and I plan on documenting how far we have gone and documenting our progress, probably like Dustin.  I can also think of many times I tried to find the picture I saw on CP, but for the life of me I couldn't...I knew it was a 20x30 1.5 story...but who???

Sorry, the IT Manager side of me coming out I guess...my mantra "make it easy and they will use it"  :D

jraabe

Good suggestion Daddymem - and thanks Jimmy for the updated photos.

I will try to get this new forum set up this weekend and then both Glenn and I can move threads around once we have the structure in place.

Daddymem

Wow! Quick action, looks great!

glenn-k

It really works out nice - it comes out right in the middle of the forum front page.  No more looking all over the place for examples. :)

Daddymem

Jimmy's post is the perfect prototype!

phalynx

Jimmy,  Do you have a drawing or plan you can post on the extra 6 feet on the 20x40?  I am interested to see where you used them.

thanks,
Scott

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteJimmy,  Do you have a drawing or plan you can post on the extra 6 feet on the 20x40?  I am interested to see where you used them.

thanks,
Scott

This is a rough drawing of what I have in mind. The  only thing that is for sure right now is the 20x40 perimeter and the location of the stairs. As I build it I am able to better visualize what will work better or look better.Things like move this door here, make this door a sliding door, move this closet here, ect.

jraabe

Nice layout Jimmy. Feels spacious.

Jimmy_Cason

Just delivered Feb 16th, Second story 3/4"sub-floor, Windows and doors for the first floor,
Tyvek wrap for the first floor ( I Know, I Know....)
Because of the weight, I was afraid to let the delivery guy put the pallet of sub flooring up on the joists. So I had to lift and partially install 25 sheets of 3/4" by myself. At least I didnt put in 1-1/8" like I did on the first floor! I ran out of daylight before I could finish and had to go back to work Friday. I will head back out there Saturday if the road conditions will allow. We are finally getting some winter weather here in Texas. I seem to schedule my deliveries according to bad weather!

Chuckca

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jimmycason40/detail?.dir=ac0b&.dnm=5540re2.jpg&.src=ph

Take a look at this image.  Where is the crawl space on the low side (left)?  I thought you needed 18" min for ground clearence all around.  How are going to lay a moisture barrier and install insulation?  Looks close to me on the low side.  I'm a newbie here and haven't built YET.  Set me straight.  Thanks!  

Btw:  Your project is looking sweet!

Jimmy_Cason

Quotehttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jimmycason40/detail?.dir=ac0b&.dnm=5540re2.jpg&.src=ph

Take a look at this image.  Where is the crawl space on the low side (left)?  I thought you needed 18" min for ground clearence all around.  How are going to lay a moisture barrier and install insulation?  Looks close to me on the low side.  I'm a newbie here and haven't built YET.  Set me straight.  Thanks!  

Btw:  Your project is looking sweet!

That picture is a bit deceiving. Look below at this earlier pic of the same side.
My frame is made up of 3 support beams, then I added the 2x8 floor joists.
The double 2x12 board across the front was added as an after thought.

The support beam on the left is about  6- 10" off the ground plus 11-1/4" for the 12" beam That puts my floor joists
around 18 inches above the ground.

I knew it was a little on the short side of what it should be. But I did this to keep the far right side under 5 feet off the ground. I hope I dont have to fight it later on.
all of the lumber on the platform is treated except for the subfloor.

jraabe

You shouldn't have any problem with access there. The framing looks great and the PT joists and all will give you a very long lifetime. What kind of treatment does the wood have, and what was it like to work with? I know many areas have phased out CCA wood and the newer stuff is supposed to be safer to use and work with.

Jimmy_Cason

I am pretty sure it was CCA. But, it might not have been. I bought the Pressure treated wood from McCoys lumber around March 2005 and it was still very wet. So maybe it was one of the newer treatments. As far as working with the wood, It was a little more difficult that the non-treated because of the weight. It was much heavier. It was a little more difficult cut.

I didn[ch8217]t get any work done this weekend. We had freezing rain all across North Texas.   It was hard sitting at home knowing I have material there and waiting to be installed!

glenn-k

Don't feel too bad, Jimmy - we still have six inches of snow.  I plan on shaking off some of it today and doing at least something. :-/

Jimmy_Cason

Because of the weight, I was afraid to let the delivery guy put the pallet of sub flooring up on the joists. So I had to lift  25 sheets of 3/4" by myself. At least I didnt put in 1-1/8" like I did on the first floor! 

Working alone tip#201

This is how I got those 3/4" 4 x 8 subfloor sheets on top by myself.
I nailed a 4 foot long 2x6 across a couple of 8 foot 4x4s. Placed the 4x8 sheets up on the leaning assembly and ran inside, up the ladder and pulled the sheet on up.  

pforden

Jimmy,
Thanks for the terrific pictures.

What part of Texas are you in?

Penny

Jimmy_Cason

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimmycason/sets/

Hi, Penny

The nearest town is called Rhonesboro. Pop.40

phalynx

Jimmy,

If there was a clapping Smiley, I would give it to you... The plywood verticle assistance device, which is the name of the patent I just submitted, is great.   ;)  Such a simple way.  I sometimes forget that neccessity is the mother of all invention...      applause from Scott.....

Boatz

glenn-k

Go Jimmy.

Is there any hidden significance to getting a toilet for a birthday present? :)

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteGo Jimmy.

Is there any hidden significance to getting a toilet for a birthday present? :)

I told her, That is a "CRAPPY" Birthday gift.. But, it is one I will use everyday.
Sometimes several times a day!
She is not real keen about the wall mount urinal I wanted....
Just wait until I build the shop!

The significance is.... HURRY UP AND GET IT DRIED IN!

jwv

Hey Jimmy, you (or someone at your house) have great taste in doors.

Jimmy's house

Front door in our CO cabin

I think the glass is a little different but still very much the same.  I fell in love with it when I saw it.  

Lowe's??

judy

(Judy - I tried to edit, but couldn't get the images to post. Do they show for others?, John)