Re: Little Log cabins 16X36

Started by chatycady, April 20, 2006, 09:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatycady

Sat. we tear down the old fishing shack and start a log cottage. We are using 6X10 square pine logs on a basement. This will be a 20X40 1 1/2 story. Wish me luck.

bartholomew

Good luck! (Don't forget to post photos of your progress.)

Amanda_931

No, not luck--have fun, learn lots--all the horrible stuff from the experience of others (especially those who have come to laugh at themselves)!

chatycady

I'm still trying to figure out this site! My son-in-law and I are building a 20x40 log cottage. We will use 6X10 logs for the walls. Regular I-Beams for the floor, on a poured basement. Once we have the walls up we will use regular framing for the gables and roof. Hope to have two covered porches, one on front and one on back. 10/12 pitch roof and four shed dormers.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but love to read and think. I salvaged a lot of good stuff from the old summer fishing cabin, so will reuse a lot of it. I'll keep everyone posted. We layed the first course of logs Saturday. 2000 lbs. of logs by hand.
Why am I doing this. I'm old! But I'm loving every minute of it!

;D

jwv

Keep having fun and eventually you will have a cabin!  :)

Judy

Amanda_931

And just think--people pay good money to join a gym.

Here you are getting a house out of all that effort.

chatycady(Guest)

glenn-k

Here is some information on posting photos.

http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115032671

Yahoo albums will work if you edit the album to make it public then post a link to the page the photos are on.  You can't post addresses from there to show individual photos.  You can copy them from there to Photobucket then post from Photobucket.

The first one worked because the page was open when you posted a link to it.  Hope this helps.

chatycady

Here are some updated pictures. We've got the rafter's up and will begin sheeting soon. It's been rainy here and we are water logged! >:( In more ways than one. Hope bleach TSP and a pressure washer will clean up the logs ;)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chatycady/album?.dir=/9720re2&.src=ph

glenn-k

There are better things to clean the logs with.  Some things will damage the wood a bit.  Seems they said somewhere not to use a chlorine bleach.

I got Timberbrite from The Log Home Store - there are a couple of different products.  They ship.

http://aloghomestore.com/

Cleaning info -- http://aloghomestore.com/clean.shtml#wood-cleaner

Log home supplies, log home plan books, log home building tools

Your project looks great.  :)

chatycady

:-/
I need some help. Everything is going fine on our log cabin, but I think I have a problem with the support posts for the porch.

The top beam on which the roof rafters and roof rest is attached to the support porch posts with nails and carriage bolts instead of sitting right on top of the posts. - it looks like a  t instead of T

THe beam's are (2) 2X8's bolted to 6X6 posts. The 6X6's are 8' apart, so believe we are okay with the span, however, are we in trouble?
Will the roof eventually sag, or worse, fail? We are in snow country.

Thanks for any help.

Amanda_931

Might well not be a problem.

Slope on the porch part would be a consideration--if snow piles up well over the designed load, and can't fall off. (even if we haven't had much snow in years, that is one of the reasons for porch failure around here)

But I think we need pictures to see exactly what's going on.

jraabe

Bolts can be fine as long as the shear on the bolt(s) can take the weight on the joint. You need to determine your design snow load and do a load trace to the joint.

Note from my files: a 1/2" dia. lag screw can support about 470 lbs in shear. From JLC, 12/94 p 66

chatycady

:-?
this is 3/12 pitch porch roof in iowa.  if we put 2 bolts in will that double the load it will bear ? up to 940 lb.? We did use 1/2' carriage bolts. Thanks so much! this website is awesome, to say the least. I'm working on getting pictures together.

jraabe

As long as the bolts are spaced 2"-3" apart and you have large washers to clamp onto the wood you can pretty much add them up. That's what the engineers do!  :D

peg_688

Chatty could you let in the 2x8's so they sat on a ledge of the 6x6?  Sounds like they are already up , if so the bolts should  do the trick.  Are both 2x8 on the same side of the 6x6 or are they on opposite sides ?

If it's possible I'd let them in a 1 1/2" one on each side and maybe mid span slip a block / spacer and thru bolt it between the let in 2x8's . Then all the bolts do is hold it together they wouldn't be subjected to sheer forces . The mid point spacer would just help keep the dbl 2x8 true and would add some "beam like "charateristics.

Sort of like this 4x4 is notched for the 2x8 rim:

G/L PEG  

chatycady

:) :) ;D THank you both very much!
I will post pictures later this weekend. THings are moving along pretty good!

Chaty

chatycady

peg_688

Chaddy Those temp stairs are a hazard IMO . Hope you got them good and secure . I did a little remodel for a guy some years back , tore off a old deck , it had some stairs I moved off to the side framed the deck / floor came back the next AM and the owner had placed the old stairs temporally back up , I took um down and told him I felt they where a hazard he said he wouldn't do it again . Well the next day the stairs where close to back up , but not quite , I asked his wife where's  Mr. so and so?  She said he's in the hospital  :o, afetr she went to bed the night before he took the dogs out one last time , she woke up a 2 AM to pee and looked for her husband , he'd fallin off / on the steps punctured one lung , broke a few ribs , layed on the lawn for about 3 hours cuz he couldn't get up . He didn't sue me , MTL would have won , poor home owner hurt by careless RICH G/C , I'm sure,  even thought I warned him and he moved the steps back himself , he could have won in court .

So either move the steps , or  better yet use a ladder , those scare me :o

Looks good other wise  ;)

PEG

chatycady

:-* :-* THanks for the warning. THey are securly attached, but a little off center! We salvaged the old, as you quickly figured out. Hope to have them down soon with real steps, but need to figure out where to put them. Originally they were going to come off the side toward the firepit/patio, but may center them on front. What's your idea?

chaty

glenn-k

I'm not sure what system you will use to keep water out of the horizontal joints between the logs, but a conversation came up last weekend where I heard that my granddad was worried about water getting into someones horizontal siding when he had a sawmill about a hundred years ago.

Todays solution may be a waterproofer like DEFY sprayed on before some type of real good chinking or caulking - can't do flashing here -eh, PEG?

chatycady

We have added a porch to the front and back which will protect the logs and keep water from reaching them for the most part. The logs have two rows of 3/8" wide log seal put on the edges before being screwed together. with 13" log hogs.

We have also added a 3 foot overhand on the gable ends to protect the logs. I hope to seal them with log caulk next summer. From what I've read and been told, they need to breathe and dry out one year before caulking or chinking.  We will clean them and apply a coat of good stain/sealer this fall before winter.

I took more pictures and hope to update soon.

Love this website and forum! ::)

glenn-k

Check out DEFY, Chaty.  It will allow them to breath and keep them from getting damage unlike some other brands.

Even it recommends below 18% moisture before applying.

http://aloghomestore.com/finish.shtml#defy