The new cabin is up 32' X 32' 1 1/2 story.

Started by ruger1, July 06, 2010, 10:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruger1

*I was told you guys on this site would enjoy these pics of the new cabin.

Well, it was a long weekend, but it was worth it. This cabin (deer shack) has been talked about and dreamt about for some time. It took about about 280 man hours over the last 3 days, but the cabin is up and shelled in.

A little shingling, soffit work, and trim work. However it's basically ready for this deer season.

Hopefully the land up there will get used more now compared to when we were using junky old mouse infested campers. The land is up past Buyck near Crane Lake.

Not too many injuries either. Dad had a little mishap with a gusset plate that cut him pretty good. I managed to ride a ladder from the roof to the ground. I'm pretty sore and bruised up, but alive and walking. Guess that's good enough some days. Not sure how I didn't break my leg as it was twisted and torqued pretty bad between the ladder rungs. Scared the hell out of dad. I was talking to him face to face on the roof and then I suddenly fell out of site.

SPECS:  32' X 32' total size.  The room in attic trusses gave us a 14' X 32' room upstairs.  Main living space below is 24' X 24'.  The deck is 8' x 32'.  There is a storage/butchering/deer hanging room on the back that is 8' X 24'.  

Oh well, more stories I guess.

Yes, it will be used for sledding as well.  

ruger1

The trusses are 2" X 10".  They weighed 340# a piece.  They weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be.  Of course all that man power helped.

ruger1

"What are your plans for the inside? Plumbing, heating, electric, or just leave it as is for now and add to it as you go along?"

It is wired for electrical.  We'll be getting power from the generator.  No plumbing.  We'll put a stock tank in as a cistern for water (dishes and cooking).  Heating will be propane.  

No footings.  It is sitting on 4' of fill and class 5. Then 24" X 24" X 1/4" steel plates.  Then on 16" X 12" concrete blocks.  Then the floor is built with cross members.