Progress finally

Started by Daddymem, April 28, 2005, 05:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Building Bob

Your gutter problem is not too hard to solve. I have worked in the siding and trim business for many years. First, check around your local area a find a supplier for the siding business's in your area. Many of these shops have a gutter maker on site and will sell you what you need by the foot. If your total length is 24 feet, buy two 13 footers and stack one inside the other and tape them together with some fiber tape, secure them to the roof of your vehicle. When you get home measure the length exactly. Decide where your outlets are going to be. I recommend the fewest seams, so use the preformed outlets and cut the holes from the outside bottom. Make sure they extend past the edge of the shingle by one inch. Flip the gutter upside down and  place the outlet on the gutter in the correct location. With a pencil, mark the opening from the inside of the outlet. Using a Stanley utility knife, cut just inside the line. you won't cut through but cut into the aluminum. Then cut a line from corner to corner to make an X. Use a screwdriver or awl and punch a hole in the center of the X. The aluminum will tear where you have cut into the aluminum and you have a neat hole. From the inside of the gutter insert the outlet and drill holes with an 1/8 inch drill bit and use pop rivets of a matching color from the outside to secure the outlet.

For the seam. I overlap about 11 inches. Cut the top lip off the inside portion of the gutter overlap and roll the one inside the other. Use three or four heavy beads of the silver gutter goop to seal the seam and around all the outlets. Use 6 to 8 rivets from the bottom to hold the seam together and only one or two rivets on the face. Seal all rivets with the silver sealant. Mark the location of hangers I go 30 inches apart, I like the hangers over the spike as you lessen the risk of dinging up the face of the gutter and they give a cleaner look. Good luck!