Cason and Son visit the Katrina Cottage

Started by Jimmy C., July 21, 2006, 06:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

On a visit to Ocean Springs Mississippi this week I happened upon the Katrina Cottage...
It was very nice. But, I think they could have added a couple extra feet to the bedroom.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jimmycason40/album?.dir=/8fc8re2&.view=t
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

John Raabe

Jimmy: Thanks for that "live from the field" report.  :)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

I realize that the San Francisco earthquake/fire (which did most of the damage) was a different kind of catastrophe, but weren't they building the "earthquake houses" in a central place and moving them out via the teamsters and their horses  to their destination within a month?

And this is still the model house!  And we're back in hurricane season--with a slow start, but still.

Of course this is more ambitious--it's a real house with furniture--I like those porch seats, by the way.  Which means that unlike the earthquake houses it may not get moved four or five times, or be cannibalized for wood, or....

Robert_Flowers

Thats a nice little cottage,but are any down on the gulf coast being lived it?

I may be jaded but to me in todays world where we must beat the JONES not just keep up with them bigger is the more important than being smart you could have a little cottage save money get out of debt then slowly add-on or better yet be contented to live in a small house spend less time worrying about what people thank about your life and more time living it.

/me

PS.
I don't mean you jonsey  ;) although you do have a nice house.

bartholomew

No don't try to keep up with jonsey. Especially when he's on his bike.

jonsey/downunder

No worries Robert, you don't need to move to quick to keep up with me. I'm one of the slow Jones's :)
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Robert_Flowers

bartholomew said
QuoteNo don't try to keep up with jonsey. Especially when he's on his bike.

No worry about last time i was on a bike was about 40 pound ago and too many years ago  ;)

jwv

That is cute! Thanks for the photos.  Your son did a good job also.

I especially like the storage on the porch and the storage under the bed.  Was that hinged or have locking lifters?

I've been looking at a platform bed and this storage would be ever so handy for those out of season things.

Judy
http://strawbaleredux.blogspot.com/

"One must have chaos in one's self to give birth to the dancing star" ~Neitszche

JRR

I like the porch storage also ... and I'm seeing this just in time to make changes on current project.   I think I will have the entire box top surface be hinged at the back edge (will mean the back rest will rotate backwards when box is opened.)  This scheme should improve water seal.  A stop, or chain, will have to be built-in to prevent the thing from getting away during full opening.

Whaduyathink?

glenn kangiser

Seems like it should work - could the back being the porch guard rail cause problems if a person who was not in full control of their faculties stumbled onto it and was flipped off the side of the porch if it tilts with the seat?  Just a thought. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

At Ikea, they have cabinets that have friction hinges.  They are the vertically opening doors.  The friction of the hinge keeps it from slamming.  I was looking for the same thing for making toy boxes, and if I remember correctly, I found some on Rockler or something.  Ferrarri makes a model of hinge like this for cabinets.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Best soft close supports for lids I've ever used,

Link
 http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Lid%20Stays%20and%20Supports/CatID/Sugatsune%20Lid%20Stays/showprod/1

Spendy but easy to install , adjust , work good , last a long time.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Homesick Gypsy

John's floor plan for his Builder's Cottage is better.   :)