Side exit vent stack

Started by Bouncer, July 14, 2006, 11:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouncer

Well I installed the side vent stack. I went this way instead of going threw the roof. I have a fear of cutting my metal roof. I think it looks good. We have no codes around here so It's not a problem here.
And for some reason it doesn't work out I can just remove the cap put an elbow and run the stack up.

Kevin

bartholomew

I think going through the wall makes a lot of sense -- why introduce potential leak points into your roof if you can avoid it? I looked into sidewall venting once and the main concerns seemed to be....

- Sewer gases might flow along under the soffits to nearby windows.

- With a horizontal terminus, wind could blow directly in and blow water out of traps.

Okie_Bob

To solve the problem mentioned by Bart...put a 'studer' valve on the top of your vent. It is like a check valve
that allows air in but does not allow sewer gas out! They are used a lot in island kitches where you need a vent but have no way to get to your normal vent stack. They are cheap and come in various sizes for pvc pipe. You may have to go to a plumber supply store to find them.
Okie Bob

Kevin

Bart
Thats why I have a cap at the end to keep anything from going in  like the wind or animals.

glenn kangiser

Careful what you recommend, Bob--- now you have my wife wanting to fit me with one of those studer valves. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bartholomew

QuoteThats why I have a cap at the end to keep anything from going in  like the wind or animals.

Yes, both issues seem to have pretty straightforward solutions, so I wonder why it seems that most codes don't allow sidewall venting.

glenn kangiser

It seems that the studer valve is a last choice preference for the inspectors - I remember years ago talking to one about it and seems he didn't like it if there was any other way.  Maybe because it was mechanical.  I don't know what current code says about it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.