what to use for closing in shower above acrylic walls?

Started by river place, October 18, 2009, 02:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river place

We've installed an acrylic shower kit in out barn and I'm trying to decide how to finish it off.  Should I used cement board and then apply tile or can you use mold resistent sheet rock and paint it.  Because this is in a barn I'm trying to avoid tile work.

The area to finish is the 3' x 4' ceiling and an 8 inch tall area of wall between the ceiling and surround walls.

Redoverfarm

RP that is exactly what I did with the exception of the ceiling.  Greenboard around the top between the fiberglass stall and the ceiling. Just do not run the sheetrock all the way down to the fiberglass.  Leave 1/8" -1/4" gap between and followup with a paintable caulk.  If you run it all the way the water will wick up into the drywall.  They also made a transition strip for this.  I think Don_P might have suggested it to me.  I will go back through my thread and if I can find it I will repost.

Redoverfarm

RP What Don_P was describing was a Zip Bead but it may have been for another application around the beams that the discussion was about.  I am sure they make a vinyle trim probably like a U shaped to fit over the bottom edge to protect the drywall end.  I am planning on going to Lowes today and if I can think of it  d* I will check to see what they have and whether it will work for you. I have talked to so many people both on/off CP I sometimes get confused on where I got the info.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.