Roundabout cost for "drying in" the 20x30 1 1/2 story plans in SC?

Started by SardonicSmile, November 16, 2009, 09:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

Hi guys! I have decided to begin on the 20x30 and I'm trying to decide on a loan amount.

I already have water, septic, power, etc. I will be doing about 50% of it myself - the other 50% will be done by a guy that knows code helping me, and I'll be paying him about 15 bucks an hour. Will also have help from family and friends.

I'm going to have a 4" slab foundation and stamp the concrete myself (use the concrete as floors). I will be using prefab "storage" trusses to make things easier.

All I really need done right now is the plumbing under the slab, the slab, the four exterior walls, roofing, and basic electricity/plumbing. No insulation or interior/exterior finish or anything like that yet.

I know this is a pretty difficult question, but I'm just looking for guesses. Thanks!

glenn kangiser

One very conservative professional member - a carpenter, did it for under $12000 a few years ago.  Prices have not changed a lot since then.  No labor costs associated with that as he did all himself or with family help.

Note that he shopped and got contractor discounts also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

davidj

I'm just at the point on our 20x30 that you want to get to - roof on, doors and windows in, no siding, plumbing electrical or insulation.  I've got a spreadsheet with everything in - bottom line so far is $45K.  This doesn't include septic etc. - only stuff within the footings - but it does include $3K for permit, $100 or so for John's plans and $1200 to have the plans modified for the snow load and CA code (including some customizations).

But don't worry - that's doing pretty much everything the most expensive way even though I did almost all of it myself:

- $8K for a metal roof, including installation
- $10K for two doors/hardware and lots of Marvin Integrity windows
- a nice porch with special-order resawn 6x6 posts/6x8 beams
- 12/12 cathedral ceiling with 7x18 main glulam beam craned-in and select structural 2x12s (100psf snow load)
- 9' 2x6 walls (w/10'x4' 1/2" plywood sheathing - $24/sheet!)
- 4' crawl space (mortared block) w/ I-joists@16" and 1 1/8" plywood subfloor
- expensive local lumber yard (maybe 1.4X Home Depot prices)
- built to CA codes - lots of Simpson connectors, including tie-downs, and block walls full of rebar and concrete

I think if I'd taken the cheap option every time there was a decision it would cost maybe 1/2 of that - $20K-$25K - even in CA. Basic materials - 2x6s, OSB - are very cheap.

RainDog

NE OK

SardonicSmile

Quote from: davidj on November 16, 2009, 11:11:18 AM
I'm just at the point on our 20x30 that you want to get to - roof on, doors and windows in, no siding, plumbing electrical or insulation.  I've got a spreadsheet with everything in - bottom line so far is $45K.  This doesn't include septic etc. - only stuff within the footings - but it does include $3K for permit, $100 or so for John's plans and $1200 to have the plans modified for the snow load and CA code (including some customizations).

But don't worry - that's doing pretty much everything the most expensive way even though I did almost all of it myself:

- $8K for a metal roof, including installation
- $10K for two doors/hardware and lots of Marvin Integrity windows
- a nice porch with special-order resawn 6x6 posts/6x8 beams
- 12/12 cathedral ceiling with 7x18 main glulam beam craned-in and select structural 2x12s (100psf snow load)
- 9' 2x6 walls (w/10'x4' 1/2" plywood sheathing - $24/sheet!)
- 4' crawl space (mortared block) w/ I-joists@16" and 1 1/8" plywood subfloor
- expensive local lumber yard (maybe 1.4X Home Depot prices)
- built to CA codes - lots of Simpson connectors, including tie-downs, and block walls full of rebar and concrete

I think if I'd taken the cheap option every time there was a decision it would cost maybe 1/2 of that - $20K-$25K - even in CA. Basic materials - 2x6s, OSB - are very cheap.

I saw that 45k and my heart sank! Then I saw the rest and I feel a lot better. : ) I'm going to shoot for something like 25k.. My original plan was to only borrow enough to make it livable, and then finish the rest slowly off of paychecks.. But I think it would be easier to borrow about 40k and get it pretty much completed. What do you guys think?

SardonicSmile

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 16, 2009, 10:48:02 AM
One very conservative professional member - a carpenter, did it for under $12000 a few years ago.  Prices have not changed a lot since then.  No labor costs associated with that as he did all himself or with family help.

Did this guy have a thread on this forum or anything? I'd like to see that.

John_M

Quote from: SardonicSmile on November 16, 2009, 11:35:30 AM
I saw that 45k and my heart sank! Then I saw the rest and I feel a lot better. : ) I'm going to shoot for something like 25k.. My original plan was to only borrow enough to make it livable, and then finish the rest slowly off of paychecks.. But I think it would be easier to borrow about 40k and get it pretty much completed. What do you guys think?

I know that in my 18 x 32 project I am currently working on (going on 3 years now).....I have been doing the work as time allows, but a lot has also been dependant on the financial aspect.

If I were to do it over...I would get it built as quickly as possible and maybe....just maybe....get out there and finally sit on my porch and drink that nice cold adult beverage I have envisioned doing at my "finished" cabin!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

davidj

Quote from: davidj on November 16, 2009, 11:11:18 AM
I think if I'd taken the cheap option every time there was a decision it would cost maybe 1/2 of that - $20K-$25K - even in CA.
Of course, the advantage of always taking the expensive option is that my wife wants to spend time there too.  To me, it's a glorified shed in the woods, to her its a slightly shrunken Lake Tahoe ski chalet!  Or at least it will be once there's electricity, plumbing and insulation - I think having to thaw her waterbottle before making the coffee in the morning is spoiling the illusion a little right now...

Squirl

One of the highest variable costs to becoming dried in is the windows and doors. These can cost a few dollars on craigslist to a few thousand dollars from a specialty store. 
There are a lot of upgrades depending upon your preference. 
Tar paper vs. specialty sheathing and insulated panels
Plywood vs. OSB
Metal roof vs. Asphalt

Depending on where you are at in S.C. you should save a significant amount because of the depth of the foundation. 
The basic materials are not that expensive, it is the labor and finish that goes into a house that runs up the bills.

SardonicSmile

Quote from: Squirl on November 16, 2009, 02:45:05 PM
One of the highest variable costs to becoming dried in is the windows and doors. These can cost a few dollars on craigslist to a few thousand dollars from a specialty store. 
There are a lot of upgrades depending upon your preference. 
Tar paper vs. specialty sheathing and insulated panels
Plywood vs. OSB
Metal roof vs. Asphalt

Depending on where you are at in S.C. you should save a significant amount because of the depth of the foundation. 
The basic materials are not that expensive, it is the labor and finish that goes into a house that runs up the bills.

While we're on the subject of my foundation.. do you see any problem with it only being 4" deep?

I will be saving a lot by getting the windows, doors, cabinets, etc.. from a place called "Re-Store". ReStores are run by Habitat for Humanity.. they sell salvaged building supplies.

I will be doing the "finish work" at my own leisure and time, so it's not a big concern at the moment.

MushCreek

A 4" slab is fine, but you'll have to have a footing around the perimeter to support the load. Even here in FL, you have to have a footing. Around here, they do a monolithic slab, which is footing and slab all poured at once.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

handyman

My 20 x 30 is just to the point of dry in and my costs are $13,000 just for materials. Labor was some where around $3,000 paid to friends.  There is no plumbing or electrical  yet, and my windows and doors came from Craigs list. 
Foundation $3600, Framing $5500, Roof $3500, and windows $400.  You can see my cabin on Design/Build form "20 x 30 in the No. Ca. Coastal Mtn. Range.

SardonicSmile

Both of those responses were very helpful, thanks. Yes it will be a monolithic slab.. they require pretty deep footings here with rebar and all that good stuff. If you did it with 13,000 in California, I should be able to do it for 13,000 easily.

Minicup28

I am just starting to estimate the cost for our house also. Do any of you have, or can recommend a project task list with all of the things to consider for a cost estimate? 
You win some
You lose some
Some you don't even get to start...

trish2

Figure out what you think it will cost you, add 30% and that's the loan you should be approved for.  It doesn't mean that you will use all that $$$, but it is better to have a large pad than to have to try to talk the banker into increasing your construction loan.  Just be sure that there is a clause that says when your convert to a permanent loan, that the payments are figured on the amount that is actually used.   

(Input from husband:  Instead of 30% pad, he recommends 50% pad.  But he has a tendency to like to throw in lots of 'fritters' when building; buying a new tool here and there; upgrading cabinetry, etc.)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: SardonicSmile on November 16, 2009, 11:40:00 AM
Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 16, 2009, 10:48:02 AM
One very conservative professional member - a carpenter, did it for under $12000 a few years ago.  Prices have not changed a lot since then.  No labor costs associated with that as he did all himself or with family help.

Did this guy have a thread on this forum or anything? I'd like to see that.

I think some of it was lost in the forum change.

Here is a reference to it.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=1091.0

another

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=428.0
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Beavers

Just got my 12x16 1 1/2 story dried in.  $8000 worth of materials...double that should be close for a 20x30.

I'm about middle of the road on materials, I could of gone cheaper, but I didn't get the top of the line stuff either.

BTW- That price is with using a wood peir foundation, no concrete other than footings.

After almost of year of housebuilding, I've finally figured out how to estimate project costs and timeframes... double the costs and the time that you think it will take, and you might be underbudget and on schedule!  d* :)