Cement fiber cladding

Started by RainDog, October 25, 2009, 09:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainDog

Hi.

I've seen a number of photographs, mostly from Eastern Europe, of houses clad with "untreated cement-bonded particleboard" or "pre-primed cement fiber". It's an interesting look, but wouldn't the board degrade over time without a coating?

Am I missing something here? Surely I am. That's usually the case.  Think they're using some product that differs structurally from Hardiepanel and the like?

Yours,
Parks
NE OK

RainDog

NE OK

MountainDon

Quote from: RainDog on October 25, 2009, 09:23:26 AM

Eastern Europe

That's the key right there.

Eastern Europe had (has?) many things you don't really want.

But then maybe if the material has a higher level of cement in it than our cement fiber boards, it might stand up better?  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

w6jmc

I found one item that might be what your looking for at http://www.architecturalproducts.com/cemclad.html. They mention using a clear sealer somewhere on that website. Also My architect friend from Georgi of the former soviet union tells me that in much of Europe Concrete construction even in single family houses is much much more common than it is here in the United States. It could be at least in some of the pictures your seeing be bare concrete perhaps with cementitious waterproofing applied.

RainDog

Oh yes, that's got to be more along the lines of what they're using than our Hardiepanel type products commonly used stateside.

It says on the website that the product can be "Easily stained, painted or clear-sealed to achieve your desired look", but I've found no indication that it must be. The stuff looks just like concrete. Looks to be high dollar, too.

Thanks. I'll look into this. Great looking product!

Parks
NE OK