Cost of Septic System

Started by cbc58, January 17, 2008, 11:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

wondering if others would share what the cost of their septic system was or what it was quoted to be.  just curious to see what they run around different areas of the country.  My lot is in NH and I was quoted 11k for a 3 bdrm design....

paul s

north carolina here,  3 bedroom 1770 sq ft  2 bath  $ 3,500

cbc58

where in nc?  sandhills?  that's cheap for a septic ... wow.

Daddymem

cbc58

Without much detail as to what kind of septic sytsem, you appear to be within the expected range.  My mass one on the old house was $9k and thats 1,500 gal tank, two flow diffusers in 12x25 gravel in beach sand.  I imagine your soils are worse in New Hampshire.  Have you looked into a Presby system? http://www.presbyenvironmental.com/  If you have mounding they help alot and you get sizing bonuses so they could be cheaper in the end.

Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Redoverfarm

About $3,500 here in the sticks also.

cbc58

yes I've looked in to presby and that is what my design is quoted on....  i was more curious what other areas of the country pay for septic systems...   and I can't imagine that there is a tremendous difference in the cost of components to build a system... other then the difference in the need for fill/area based on soils.

why is it 1/3 the cost in the south vs. the north?

Daddymem

Some is attributed to difference in component sizing and material specifications.  For example, Mass is 1,500 gallon tank minimum, elsewhere a 500 gallon is fine.  There can also be differences in thickness of the concrete, the reinforcement, testing requirements by the manufacturer, etc.   In other words, a 1,500 gallon tank in one state isn't necessarily the same as one bought in another state.  My cousin put a 500 gallon tank and a couple 100' pvc lines in a gravel bed by himself and in upstate NY where he is, that is enough.

Also the local economy, just like in building a house.  Material costs and labor costs differ by region.  The install cost being so low in the south is a shock, but I'd bet what the northern laborer gets for pay would be a shock to the south too.  That's why when you hear "My house only cost..." you have to ask where and then adjust it to your local area to compare apple to apples and then you still aren't totally there if your area has (most likely) different requirements for what is built.  The northeast is a high cost area but we also typically enjoy higher pay. YMMV

Daddymem

http://enr.construction.com/features/conEco/Cost_Facotrs.asp

That explains some of it.  It gives insight into where costs come from for the index (80% labor for example).  On a cost estimate job I would go to my books and come up with a cost then look up a regional adjustment to apply that to the index cost I came up with.

And don't forget economies of scale.  Just like the sf of a house has a big impact on cost per square foot, the small jobs will vary region to region more than really large jobs would.

cbc58

How about the cost of concrete delivered?   I was quoted $98/yd (5 yd minimum) for 3000lb mix.  What's it in your area?

Redoverfarm

As for the cost on concrete I would imagine it is the distance to the drop zone and possibly their location to the components needed in the mix.

As for the cost of the septic. "They know where the big is in the north". ;D

Daddymem

We paid $90 a yard when we did our foundation two summers ago and that was with a small employee discount.  So much concrete demand around here that costs are higher. Think Big Dig, Route 3 improvements, Plymouth shops etc.

cbc58

i just called another place and it's $123/yd.... which is in NC where I live now.  i have an old estimate for a foundation for my lot in NH done in 1991 and they were quoting $41/yd then.  just a little inflation.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Re: cost of things in north vs. south...
MOST everything is more expensive in our area now (Wisconsin) than it was in Oklahoma, BUT the big exception is building and construction materials.  In OK about 5 or so years ago, it cost us $2K to put in laminate floors in the downstairs of our house even though we did it all ourselves.  In a house that is slightly smaller, but still pretty comparable, we just put down new laminate floors here in Wisconsin, and they're pretty close to the same quality, but this time it only cost us around $300 dollars, still less than $400 if you include the kitchen which we did last year.  Part of it may be that the cost has come down as laminate has become more popular, but I don't think that accounts for all of it.  Lumber is cheaper here, too, probably because a lot of it comes from here.  Regardless, the cheaper cost of building supplies doesn't account for the fact that land is far more expensive, taxes are highway robbery, and the pay difference doesn't make up the gap.  I'm ready to move right now... well, as soon as DH has a job back closer to home, but honestly we've even joked about moving building supplies on a flatbed trailer when we do move... or making a trip back up here to buy supplies when we start building.  

Redoverfarm

Yes but with the cost of fuel on a truck the savings would really have to be substantial to justify the trip.  Unless you just got homesick for all the things you like about that place. ;D

davidj

Prices for Plumas County, a reasonably remote corner of California:

Last year our septic cost a bit under $6K for a 1000 gal tank and almost 600sq ft of leech field.  I'm guessing that's about $1500 of gravel  inc. delivery, $1500 of tank and pipe, maybe $1500 of back hoe work, a bit for tank delivery and a bit more on top as profit/contingency coverage/inspection time etc. (i.e. the stuff when the back hoe guy is wearing his contractors hat).

An 11yd truck of 3/4" minus gravel for e.g. driveways is about $350 (although 1/2 or more of that is delivery so it's very location specific) and a back hoe and operator are in the $100/hour range.  The 11 yd truck and operator work out about the same as the back hoe by the hour - $95 iirc. We're almost a 2 hour round trip from the gravel pit, hence there's maybe $200 of delivery costs in a truck of gravel (but that beats 22 trips in my Ford Ranger!).

3000lb/sq ft concrete came in at something like $130/yd out to 15 miles from the depot, plus something like $1.50/minute for the last bit on the dirt road.  I think we got 15 or 20 mins of unloading time free then the same $1.50/minute.  I.e. a concrete truck and driver costs you about $100/hour too!

This is all using reputable companies with licenses and decent equipment.

ScottA

I was quoted $2800 for a 1000 gal tank and 100' of lateral line. Add to that $75 for a perk test that is a waste of time here since the ground perks so fast you can't get a hole to hold water for more than 5 minutes. Lumber prices very from yard to yard so you've got to shop a bit. I buy different things from different places. My local guy has good prices on 2x6 and larger lumber but he's high on 2x4 and sheet goods.

mvk

Where are you at, I'm in Wilton (south central) and was wondering what it will cost. Did you get an approved design and then get bids? I'm not sure how it will work anymore. I don't know if they licensed contractors and they hire engineers, Or you hire a engineer and he perks and does a plan that's how it used to be. About 15 years ago I got some bids but was planning to do it myself, can't anymore. This just pushes my buttons. I wish we could petition to get stuff on the ballot here, this is something that would get me political. I feel about this like some of you guys feel about guns! Anyway everyone wanted to bundle all the site work in one price. Concrete is what it is. sticker shock huh! Hobbist who is a contractor over by the seacoast gave me some info I think it is posted under Foam insulation. I don't know how to get over there and back with out losing everything but I think he said about $25,000 to $35,000 for foundation and septic. I would definitely get a lot of bids. If you are rural I would call around to more populated areas for quotes its pretty bad for guys in the trades. Are you from around where you are building. Sometimes guys just throw out a quote to see if you will bite. Would be interested in anything you learn. If you are close I will ask around still know a couple of guys in the trades.
Mike 

cbc58

My property is in Hancock... so we're neighbors.   I have the name of a septic design firm down your way (Milford) which is fairly competitive.  They do the design but don't install.

I'd like to find a backhoe to use and do some of the sitework myself.  If you know of anyone that has one idle and will rent it reasonable... let me know. 

I had the best western omlet sandwich at a small diner there in Wilton.... forget the name of it but it was on main street next to the real estate agents office.... 

FrankInWI

Prices sure can vary by installer.  My bid for a At-Grade Mound was over $8000.  This guy was a big operator in my area.  I heard some negatives about him though.  Then I went with a guy my brother in law swore by, and his price was $6,000.  I was VERY happy with the work too.  This is in Wisconsin, rural.
god helps those who help them selves

mvk

Hancock huh. Used to go over there a lot Nubnsit and camp at spoonwood.

Whats the name of the designer thats what I want to do have my on design. Did he contract for the perk hole or did you. A carpenter friend says 11K sounds high 8K he thinks would be more like it. Are there any wrinkles with your lot as far as septic go. Do you know how long the design is good for.

Whatcha building? Cabin, year round house? Have a plan yet? started yet? Just curious. I'm planning for summer of 09 I will have to get a morgatge but would like to do as much as I can before I get them involved. I would like to get a old back hoe but big bucks. Might have a line on a old one cheap but not sure if it still runs looking into that now. I don't know if you would have much luck renting from a owner/ operator seems that they would want to drive but I will ask around. Iv'e been out of construction for 15 years so I don't have that many contacts anymore. Are you in the business?

My lot is about 10 minutes from that resturant, I live in Milford now and lived in Lyndeboro for about 25 years. Whats the building inspector like in Hancock.
LOL Mike

desdawg

We were doing leach line systems here in AZ. 1000 gallon, $4980, 1250 gallon system $5350, 1500 gallon system, $5725. Bigger than that takes a big jump. 2000 gallon system, $7550. Price included soils testing, permit, concrete tank and gravity fed rock and pipe system. Alternative systems get pretty pricey and require an engineer to design.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Redoverfarm

My original house septic was done by yours truely. The year after I put mine in they changed the regulation to where only a licensed septic tank contractor could install one.  It is not brain surgery with only one rule to follow "SRDH". But they found a way to generate more money.  Again the homeowner has to pay the contractor.  I think I had about $700 tank and lines for a 3 bdrm. Now in this area they are installing chamber lines which are easier to install. Mine was standard 4" perforated drain pipe for the fields.  

A little tip to pass on. Install sch 40 from the house to the tank. Especially if it is an area that will ever be driven over.  It is also less prone to collapse when backfilling  without it egg shaping it is less prone to clogs. Oh yes and put a cleanout 45 near the house going to the tank.  Don't have to worry much about the discharge side as usully only water running out there verses the inlet which will run solids.

cbc58

The state (NH) will allow you to design and install your own system as long as it is to be your primary residence... otherwise you have to hire people.  The name of a designer in Milford to check out is Meridian Land Services, 673-1441. They quoted me $700 for a design plus state fees.

mvk

WOW!!!
I know that was how it used to be but I have been told by several people I know no more septic or plumbing. Hope you are right and they were wrong. Is that what they told you at meridian? There used to be a state office in milford I will have to check. Are you going to do your own? It's not that hard I was going to do mine when I was going to build years ago. If you have a plan your set. Was the perck included in the $700?
Thanks Mike
Whats your name by the way

cbc58

perk is not included in that... or backhoe/test pit fee.  my name is Chris.