Mortgage free house

Started by Jack Bamba, July 27, 2010, 03:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Bamba

Hello everyone,

I just registered to post my project.  I have been surfing this site for a very long time.  I am sure since 2004-2005.  I purchased the Vicotrian cottage plan back in August 2005.  I was going to build the house my self but friends and family members discouraged me.  The bank would not give me a loan because it did not meet the 3 bedrooms 2 baths BS.  The house would have been for just my Girl and I.  I took the loan and builder ( house is Modular) installed a nice house 3 bedrooms 2 baths on my 1/2 ac lot in Colonial beach VA.  After building a shed (12x16 plan from "justsheds.com"  the VERMONT) , a gazebo (16x16) and a tool shed (8x4),  we purchased 3 lots in Lancaster county VA a year and half ago, and I finally decided to build the my mortgage free house.  I built a small cottage (my office 12x12 with a 16/12 roof) on one of the land.  The main cottage on the same land is 16 by 28 two story house.  Last week, I just finished the metal roof.  I rented a 34ft towable man lift and did the roof just by my self.  I have a person I hire to help me since you need at least 2 persons for the framing. The electrical will be me 100%  That is next since I just installed the meter base and the electric Co-op installed the power.  I will be loging in to update and read posting from the smart guys you are.  I LOVE THIS SITE.
I will be sending some pictures shortly

Jack

astidham

Cant wait to see your pictures Jack!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Jack Bamba

Tom

Wow, you've been busy.
Me and my girl... daughter or girlfriend?
This site has made it possible for me to begin a project myself. Great folks here.
Looking forward to seeing your progress

Jack Bamba

Hi Tom,

Yes I have been very busy.  I started the project in late October.  I only work on it on Fridays since I work 4 days 10 hours schedule.  No work on Saturday and Sunday.  I took mid January to end of March off since we in the NE got a bad winter this year and I spent the last week of March in Peru.
About me and my girl, it is my Girl friend.  Talking about her, she did not want a small house.  I been talking to her about small house since 2000, two years after I met her.  The part that she likes is the mortgage free part.

I will post some interior pictures later.  Nothing major yet.

Jack