We are thinking about building ourselves

Started by FarmerBill, December 09, 2010, 10:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmerBill

We are sorta in a jam, we bought land and went round and round about whether to move a "free" house in, buy a mobile home, or a travel trailer. A friend had a polebarn shop built a few months back and we were admiring it. I told him I could live in this. So I went home and staked out a 24 by 30 in the back yard. Took my wife out there and said could you live in this? She agreed so we drew up a floor plan for a 2 bedroom/1 bath house based inside a 24by30 shop. Called around to some places and found a guy who told us that instead of the polebarn route that we should frame it. He said it would cost about the same and if we did a pole barn we would still have to frame it anyway. So  we agreed that he would frame and roof it with metal. And we would do the siding and finish the inside. So we built a form, installed the plumbing and poured a concrete slab, bought the doors and windows and are ready for him. Well I talked to him a day or 2 ago and he is stuck on a big job and will not be ready to start on us for a few weeks. By that time it will be Christmas and who knows about the weather. So a little advice, is framing, hanging trusses and installing a metal roof too much for a husband and wife to accomplish without any knowlege of building a house? We are not trying to build a mansion here just a square 24/30 box with 4 interior walls. This will not be a permanent residence we just want a place thats comfortable till we get the land paid off. Then after that we want to use it for dry storage and an office. I am more scared of my wife leaving me if this becomes a disaster ;) she might not leave me but it would make for a rough winter in a drafty crooked house with a leaky roof. 

astidham

If your are handy and can use a tapemeasure and tools you can build a place!
with the help of this website and John D Wagners house framing book.
at least attempt It
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Do you have actual plans; paper plans drawn out?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

FarmerBill

We have no plans, unless you are talking about a scale floor plan. I think I could draw some plans pretty easily. I was driving by the Vo tech the other day and I noticed thier students building a house out there. I was thinking about asking the carpentry instructor if he knew a good student who might want a job over the Christmas Break. I think I can do anything if I just had a little guidance. It would be nice If I could find some one with a little knowlege who would work along side me. It's all just a little itimidating. The old man behind me built a nice comfortable home in the early 50's in which he raised a family in. Once while I was over there visiting I complemented him on his house. He told me he built it himself, it has model T frames in the front porch, each rock in the rock walls he dug outta my creek and laid by hand. He dug the basement with a shovel and a pick axe. He inspired me, too bad hepassed away last year. Now, I go into lowes and I ask for advice and they mention OSB, housewrap, and smartsiding. When I formed up my slab, one guy told me I needed 3 peices of rebar in the footing, and a peice of rebar every 2 feet in a grid. Another said not to put rebar in there just to have the concrete Co. put fibre in the mix. I told one guy I was using sand to level my form and he told me that I had to use screenings or it would washout and I would have a hollow pad. Yet everyone else I talked to used sand. I was told to dig a footing 18 x18 inches then later told I was wasting hundreds of dolllars in concrete so split the difference on everyones advice and I put 2 sticks of rebar in the footing and rebar every 3 feet. I dug my footing 12x12 inches and used sand. Well see in a few years, its funny my uncles 100 year old farmhouse is sitting on rocks stacked on top of one another, yet my current 20 year old house with a concrete slab and cinderblock stemwall has a crack right down the center and the sheetrock has cracked in the ceiling all the way across. Go figure d* Some days I am confident that I can do it,then others Ijust dont know,its just according to who I am talking to I suppose.

Bill Houghton

Quote from: FarmerBill on December 10, 2010, 12:14:08 AM
Some days I am confident that I can do it,then others Ijust dont know,its just according to who I am talking to I suppose.

FarmerBill, IMHO the perspective you state will continue until you are done.  I have worked on a lot of building projects over the years and it depends on the day.  Some days the confidence wanes "I am never going to get this done" to other days "It won't be long now."  I was lucky to have a great neighbor with a lot of building experience live next to my first house remodel.  He would say in his big boomy voice "it will come"  "just keep going, it will come."  With a forum like this, when you hit a wall and don't know what to do next, you come here for answers and answers bring confidence.  It will come.

MountainDon

I believe it helps a lot to draw out the walls, etc showing each stick when one is a novice builder. It helps me a lot at least. Also helps in figuring materials lists. I believe it saved me time as I don't recall having to tear something down because of any issue with fitting something later.

It will also help to read a few books. See Johns suggested book list.

You will also be miles ahead if you think it through and ask questions before you cut a stick or lift a hammer (or air nailer). It's always easier to "fix" something before it is nailed together.

If you can find Huber Advantech subfloor sheathing it might be advantageous if the build gets slowed down. The product has superior water/weather resistance compared to other OSB products. Maybe better than plywood too. But it is not available everywhere.

You mention trusses. That will speed the roof build a lot for a novice builder.

Do you have to build with permits and inspections in your area? If so you will need drawings. Check with your local county if not sure. Or maybe this is under the radar; that's okay with us too.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

You seem apprehensive that you have the ability to follow through on the construction of building your own home.   It is a large investment that I feel shouldn't be taken lightly.   

While most do succeed,  I have seen many projects in our area that are unfinished or are constructed poorly.   One home in particular is completely framed with completed roof.   It had tyvek in place waiting for brick.   The interior just framed in.   Well, the project became to much.   Ended with a divorce with the house unfinished. . .       The house has set empty for about five years.

Maybe you could try a smaller project to see if you have the ability to build your own home.   How about a storage shed on your property?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Yonderosa

A good set of drawings will save you a lot of $$$ and time and will pay for themselves.  It is a communication tool.  Everything from scheduling, material orders and trade bids depend on them.  They are literally the map to success.

Think of your costs as an investment.  Make sure you're dollars are adding value.  Even it if costs more it is worth it.  Shortcuts show...  We looked at a lot of properties before we purchased ours and many had some pretty hokey structures on them.  They're owners were might proud but to us they were worthless and kept us from buying what would otherwise be a nice piece of ground.

In this economy I'm sure there is a feller with the skills and experience to help you out.  The time and jingo he saves you will pay big dividends.  I'd give a lot of weight to the experience part.  A sharp student may have the enthusiasm but an ol'fart that's been there will win the day.

My opinion, your mileage may vary.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

Don_P

I've also ripped scale sized strips and stick framed an entire house with pins and hot glue. Just like the full scale version, it was occupied before it was done. I did this to figure out the build and to play with orientation and light angles throughout the year.

bayview

Quote from: Don_P on December 11, 2010, 09:45:15 PM
I've also ripped scale sized strips and stick framed an entire house with pins and hot glue. Just like the full scale version, it was occupied before it was done. I did this to figure out the build and to play with orientation and light angles throughout the year.

I like your scaled model!   I think it really would help a beginning home builder . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MushCreek

Nice work, Don! I build models out of foamboard to get a quick 'n dirty idea of the house in 3D. I build 24:1, and you can get dollhouse furniture and figures to enhance the simulation. Yes, my wife thinks the cheese has slipped from my cracker for playing with dolls at age 57.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

JRR

I agree with scaled detail drawings and then scaled models.  Never a waste of time, I believe.  Its been a while since I've done one .... but am tempted to do a couple.  There use to be hobby shops where one could buy model materials ... mostly all closed now.

Perhaps there should be a string dedicated to scaled house models .... focusing on modeling materials used, etc.  ??  Miniature furniture and components.  ??

There are probalby resources out there that few know about.

FarmerBill

The scale model idea is awsome I like the cat.

Pine Cone

Quote from: FarmerBill on December 15, 2010, 08:37:17 PM
I agree with scaled detail drawings and then scaled models. ... The scale model idea is awsome I like the cat.

I sure hope that cat is NOT to scale ;D

OkieJohn2

The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

Don_P