Modifying plans for concrete block and slab

Started by UUmom2many, May 18, 2010, 10:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UUmom2many

We purchased the 2 story universal a few months back and are rethinking our building plan. There are two of us that would do the building, we're not hiring out unless we have to. A friend might come help out here and there though. BUT we also have five kids to take care of all of them between 8 and 18 months. We can't leave them for long periods by themselves while we build. We're also doing this out of pocket so we'd do it as we coudl afford to build.

We started thinking that the dry block method using cement blocks would be the fastest way for us to build and have it be weather resistant if we build say 3' high and can't build more for another 3-4 months (though I'm hoping that's not the case!) Plus one person could do it if we took turns building and kid watching. We have no family to help with the kids and it's 3 hrs away from where we live. We were also thinking that the slab could be used for a flooring on it's own possibly stained.

Basically, my question is has anyone taken a Country Plan for stick frame and built it with cement blocks for the first story? Would this just be too difficult or expensive to change?

n74tg

I'm not following your dry block method mentioned in paragraph 2.  Do you mean dry-stacked block, ie no mortar between blocks.

If so, check out the website   drystacked.com

I don't know much about the universal plans, but I did built my foundation walls with dry-stack.  If you want to read details, the blog addess is at bottom.  Look in the archives from Dec 2006 thru July 2007 for dry-stack posts.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

UUmom2many

Yes, sorry dry stacked block was what I meant. Thanks for the links!

John Raabe

Block can make a lot of sense for an unfinished basement. But things are not as simple when you are considering replacing the first floor frame wall with concrete block:
• The wall is now 8" thick and will effect interior dimensions. Make sure there is room at critical areas such as tubs, showers, etc.
• When comparing costs of wall systems don't forget to count the higher cost of insulation for block walls (usually exterior foam board at least 2" thick and a stucco finish coat).
• Some special conditions may be needed for plumbing stacks, wire runs, window treatments and other elements that are usually built for frame walls.

The slab foundation details in your plans can be used with block or frame walls. Check locally as to what the requirements are for block reinforcement.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

I'd price Superior Walls as well. If you can swing it, they have the "blockwork" phase done in a day. They are placed on a gravel trench footing. The walls come in preinsulated panels with a concrete exterior and foam with metal stud interior. there are wiring holes built in.  The slab is then poured inside. If you are doing a radiant floor let them know up front and they'll adjust accordingly. I think it has alot of potential for affordable fast housing.