900 Sq. ft Earth Bermed Passive Solar Home in Upstate NY

Started by speedfunk, November 22, 2008, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedfunk

Okay now going back again to summer of this year (2015)

Summer 2015

South of House

This is in front of house.  Covering up a rubber membrane.  Trying to make it 5"'s or so.

South Backfill

Here we are back filling over the stone which covers membrane.  This pic gives good idea of the process i used over and over.

speedfunk

Btw if anyone has comments or questions I'd love to talk about this stuff  :D  c* 

I'd like to add that behind the house there used to be rugs covering the rubber...we took them out.  So everywhere around the house if its got rubber its just got stone on it no rugs.  The pieces where we used plastic we put rugs on it to protect it.   The rubber really doesn't need protection its plenty strong.  Putting rug down seemed to just stay damp and smelly (when not covered with earth that is).

One other thing thats cool this year is we payed off the mini excavator.  About a year early.  So.... woot...DEBT FREE again!  Lets see if without the overhead of building a house from scratch we can keep it that way :D  Things are starting to fall into place...little by little.

NathanS

Really inspiring build.

My wife and I are planning to start ours this spring, in Chenango County. The dry stack walls/patio looks awesome. We've got a bunch of old farm walls made from the that same shale-stuff.. hope to put it to good use.

speedfunk

Thats cool Nathan...its nice to have a good collection of rocks to build from.  Dry stack is old stuff, and it doesn't build up hydrostatic pressure which enables a long life span.  Look forward to seeing your build.  Spent lots of time riding the back hills of chenango county....nice country. 

saps starting up again after lots of cold...

GaryT

I've spent my entire morning reading this thread from start to finish.  Simply an incredible job.  You both must (I hope!) be so proud of your accomplishment.
Way to go!
Gary

drainl

Thanks Gary!  I'm looking forward to progressing on the stonework and greenery/landscape this year.

speedfunk