14x36 in Louisiana

Started by dstncrawford, March 15, 2015, 01:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstncrawford

Ok.  I've been reading on this forum for a few years now, and although I'm not quite ready to break ground, I've been doing some designing.  I ordered the tiny house plans and the Victoria cottage plans about a year back and have been studying them.  I've got some land where I would like to build a small cabin.  It's just me, the wife, and our son (almost 6!) so I figure my boy gets the loft as a bedroom.

I want it to look like a more rustic, version of this (http://tinyhouselistings.com/tiny-house-cottage-for-sale-500-sq-ft-38500/), but with 10' tall 6" exterior walls, a 12/12 roof, and a loft over the bathroom and bedroom.  Below is the design I've come up with.  The gray area in the loft is below 5' headroom.  The red rectangle is where I want to put a masonry fireplace - the red part represents the hearth.  No windows noted yet.  I welcome any/all ideas and suggestions.

Here are a few pics of the site...

It looks like there used to be a well here.  I wonder what it would take to get this going again.

dstncrawford

Well, I goofed with this old well today.

Since this thing probably hasn't been used in 50+ years I figured I'd pull up the pump and inner pipe to check the point.  A buddy at work told me that if it was corroded then replacing a pump would be a waste since the corroded point would send stuff up and damage the impeller.  I figure replacing a point, inner pipe, pump (and storage tank?) might not be so bad - especially if I instead just put a hand pump.

The outer pipe is 3" pvc.  I cut a few inches below the old pump, pulled it up to see the inner pipe is 1" pvc.  I made the mistake of cutting the 1" pipe without securing the lower part - it sounded like a whistle as it dropped down the well...

Oh well.  I got some string and an old medicine bottle and lowered it until I reached something solid at 13 feet.  I'm gonna try to get a 20 foot section of pvc with the wide couple at one end tomorrow.  Maybe I can lower it down the well and attach it to the part that fell.  Otherwise I'm not sure how to get it. 

Such a stupid mistake!  An extra set of hands or even a set of channel locks could have avoided this altogether.

UK4X4

Overshot- or friction grapple
1' taper tap

EMT 1" cut slots in one end and bend out the resulting fins, making a funnel shape- with a chisel screw driver beat on the inside of the tubing to create damage and gauges / points

run inside well till top of "fish" and beat down severlely and try and pick up through friction grip of the overshot..

1" taper tap- weld end to allthread or similar or emt, run inside well to top of fish and screw into the the top of the pipe.

For further work make a plywood or steel hole cover with a slot for the pipe, channel locks or even a clove hitch in decent 6mm parachute cord- (accesory cord)

dstncrawford

Thanks, UK4x4!

I was able to get it by tapering the wide end of a 20 foot stick of 1" PVC and coated the inside with superglue.  After about 30 minutes, I used the front end loader of a tractor to pull pipe up about 5 feet.  I drilled a hole at the low end, put in a spike, cut off the top 5 feet, pulled another 5 feet or so...  I think I did this about 7 times, so the inside 1" pipe must have been about 35' down to begin with.  The part on the bottom looks like a sprinkler head to my untrained eye.  I was expecting a sand point, but maybe that is what it is.  I need to do some more research...