10 x 12 retreat cabin with outside 10 foot wall height

Started by Hunterscabin, December 20, 2014, 10:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterscabin

I looked, but did not see and threads on cabin w/ 10 foot outside wall heights. Framing inside w/ 8 foot ceiling. That would give a bit more room for any loft space. Is it only aesthetics? Or is there a fundamental equation I am missing?
Right now, I would say a roof w/ a 12/12 pitch because of snow here in Colorado.
Thanks for any input or suggestions. Truely new to small cabin construction and this forum
Merry Christmas

MountainDon

w* to the forum.

The main reason to avoid that sort of thing is the roof structure lacks proper rafter ties to hold the stud tops in place. Without rafter ties the rafters exert horizontal outward force on the sections of stud that extends above the loft floor.  That, however, can be solved by using a structural ridge beam and column supports instead of the regular ridge board.

Most (all ?) jurisdictions in CO are strictly following the IRC building code, especially on snow country. The IRC requires rafter ties or ceiling/floor joists to connect the wall tops (at the 10 foot height in your proposal). Or the above mentioned ridge beam can be used when sized (engineered) properly. Any lumber dealer that can supply manufactured ridge beams can provide the ridge beam engineering as a part of the beam price. They may not be able to help with the design of the support columns, but there are some here who can provide some assistance with that. If a ridge beam is used the concrete slab would need extra thickness concrete and rebar at the support points.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Building Bob

I am also working on a 12x16, 10 foot stud walls, :12/12 roof. I had a structural.engineer look at the plans. He told me to place rater ties.at the top of each rafter   pair, the floor joists that support the loft floor is.only 20 in. below the top plate and with such a narrow span, there would be no problem with the wall tops spreading. You can see.my build in this forum.

JavaMan

Quote from: Building Bob on March 03, 2015, 02:12:57 PM
I am also working on a 12x16, 10 foot stud walls, :12/12 roof. I had a structural.engineer look at the plans. He told me to place rater ties.at the top of each rafter   pair, the floor joists that support the loft floor is.only 20 in. below the top plate and with such a narrow span, there would be no problem with the wall tops spreading. You can see.my build in this forum.

Good to know since that's what I've done on my 12X12...