Rusk TX Build

Started by dablack, January 08, 2012, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Austin I am so sorry to hear of your misfortune.  Did you have any insurance on the structure, camper or tractor to help cover your loss? 

dablack

I think the tractor is covered but I still need to talk to them.  The camper and house are a total loss.  We were told since I wasn't a builder and there was no construction loan through a bank, then we couldn't get insurance.  So, I'm out of luck there. 

We are currently looking at manufactured homes.....

germanbird

Sorry for the loss.  I can't imagine how hard it must be to have this happen after putting so much time and energy into the place.  Here's hoping things work out with the tractor and your future housing plans.

jsahara24

Wow, that is terrible.  I am very sorry.

handyman

Fire is my biggest fear, its not a matter of if it will burn but when for my place.

The foundation and utilitys are good you can clean up and start again.

UK4X4

dam that must be heart breaking, awfull after so much work

reminder to self- check insurance

Don_P

Those are heart wrenching pictures, I'm so sorry for you all.  All there is to say is I'm thankful no one was hurt. I hope things turn around for you.

drbuilder

Austin, I am saddened for the loss of your building, as well as the thousands of hours that go into these projects.  If you do it again, I am sure you will build it even better.

mwhutch

Austin, I am so sorry for your loss, and I know it must be devastating to be almost finished. I hope that something will come through for you so that you can make it through all this. Our thoughts and prayers are with your family, and we are glad no one was hurt!

nysono

Wow, heartbreaking is understatement.  Sorry for the loss.

John Raabe

What a story! So sorry for your loss. A chance bolt of lightening. It's an eye-opener for all of us.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

dablack

Thanks everyone.  The reason I'm posting this is so that someone else might learn from my mistake.  I've been asking around and sure enough, I could have gotten insurance if I really wanted it.  Apparently, I was just talking to the wrong people the first time. 

If the slab is ok, we will rebuild in the same spot but I'm going to have to pay off the debt I incured during the first build. 

I've learned TONS doing this first build.  For me, working alone, a 12/12 pitch roof just doesn't work for us.  We were going to have a metal roof put on and I was going to hire it out to get us in the house more quickly.  Most of the metal guys in the area wouldn't even look at it. 
Ideas:

1.  Doing it again, I think it would have been much easier to build two stories and put a low stick built 6/12 roof on top. 

2.  I think it would have been easier to build the complete wall, sheath it, and paper it all on the ground and then stand it up with the tractor or call all the buddies over for a lift day.  I know it is a bunch of weight but handling all that sheathing and house wrap on a 10' wall was tough. 

3.  I should have just done a 8' wall.  Price on everything goes up with a 9 or 10' wall.  House wrap only comes in 9' lengths.  Sheet rock is crazy expensive at 10' or you get more seams with 8' on a 10' wall.  So on and so forth.  A 9 or 10 wall just takes too much time!  Unless you are building a garage that has to have it, don't do it. 

4.  If you are going to be putting up gable end trusses, sheath them on the ground.  I thought I was being smart and sheathed one of them while it was leaning on a tree.  Of course it wasn't really straight and the sheathing made it hold that curve!  Lay the gable truss on the slab or somewhere flat and then sheath it.  Paper would be good too. 

For my build, the walls and sheathing went up relatively over night.  The trusses and roof took forever.  They were just too much for one man to work with.  Simple, low slope stick built will be the way I go next time.  A second floor would have given me more sq footage and would have been faster to build. 

I will be back!

CjAl

this is a horrible story. so sorry for your misfortune. If we can do anything let us know

Tifflery

Oh My God.  My heart is broken.  We are in Canton, TX. (really close to you guys) We are working on the roof sheathing right now, but don't have house wrap or any interior anything done yet....I can't imagine what I would feel like losing this much to a fire.  But, you guys were so much closer than we are....  I really do hope that you rebuild.  You guys were doing such an amazing job, and I appreciate you posting all of your experiences. 

dablack

Thanks everyone.  We are keeping our heads up and moving forward. 

We put a trailer on the property and are living there.  The trailers note is less than half what rent was so we are doing a little better.  I've got the slab mostly cleared off and things look ok.  I will most likely tile it after we rebuild. 

Some friends came and helped me fell some trees and I still have a bunch to do.  After i get all the trees set up and ready to go, some other friends from the forestry forum are coming to saw the trees into lumber for the rebuild.  I'm still having to replace all my tools, buy engineered I-joists (for the 26' span), house wrap and other things to get dried in but the sawed lumber will cover most stuff.  I'm even going to use sawed lumber to sheath the outside.  1x material will work fine.  I will put it on a 45 degree angle for racking strength. 

So, I'm hoping in late Jan or Feb (depending on when I can afford to buy things again), I will start a new build thread.  I might call it "The New Rusk TX Build".   

We will see. 

CjAl

If you want to get started on something before you have all the tools let me know. I will try to come wnd hring the tools. In fact I am wlmost done with my framing gun for a while. I could loan it to you when I am done.

dablack

That would be a huge help.  The framing nailer especially.  If I remember, you got the same Rigid that I did.  I'm already used to it and it has the full head nails, not the clipped ones.  99% of the stuff I need to do is with a framing nailer so that will really help get me to the tax return. 

thanks
Austin

upa

I am so very sorry for you. This has always been my biggest fear. I think I could get over the financial loss but thought of repeating all my personal labor I am not so sure about. I am glad you are rebuilding, it is very inspiring.

Consider having an engineer give you an opinion about your concrete foundation. Unfortunately if fire gets hot enough it is possible to compromise the integrity of concrete.

CjAl

It is a rigid but it is clipped head. I do shoot full head paslodes ring shanks in it tho. Unfortunatly this weekend I finished sheathing the gable ends and I framed the bathroom bumo out and it jammed up on me 4 or 5 times. I had to fully disassemble it twice. Every time it jammed was on the paslod nails. But I am close to done with it until I do porches if you want it. There is a broken chunk of the main frame that aligns itnwith the slide too. Might be part of the problem. I think it may have takennone too many falls off the roof

fortunate27

Hey there Texan-
It's good to see you guys on here. I'm from Houston, TX also Bear Creek area. I have been following this site for about 3 years now. Its a really wonderful site with lots of helpful advice on here. I am in planning mode right now and look forward to building soon. I read so many post per day, just thought I'd say hello to you and the family there. Getting out of Houston is awesome man!  ;D Keep up the good work and don't give up-

Texan- [cool]

shamus397

I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. Just in case you've read through this thread you should know this isn't the end of the story! The rest can be found in this thread;)