Metal Roofs

Started by Steve_B, July 21, 2012, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

I broke form and looked at the directions. Fabral specs Sikaflex, a polyurethane caulk, Home depot listed it in some stores. I misspoke Sonneborn's NP-1 is also a polyurethane, it was available in cases of 4 tubes online for I think about $6/tube, the sika was right in there.

I prefer the butyl tape wherever it works, much less messy. I have blue tape, mineral spirits and a roll of paper towels with me when working with that caulk  :P.

Dave Sparks

Quote from: JRR on July 23, 2012, 09:40:15 PM
I have been using this Loctite product: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_seal_rf/overview/Loctite-PL-Polyurethane-Roof-&-Flashing-Sealant.htm

A bit pricey.  I wish it were available in the larger caulk tubes.  Does anyone have a better/less costly alternative?

Try http://usa.sika.com/en/solutions_products/02/02a008/02a008sa01.html

They are usually the best!
"we go where the power lines don't"

ScotchPine

Quote from: Steve_B on July 21, 2012, 02:51:59 PM

Love the look of a metal roof for the clean lines and color...

Agreed! And I recall clearly seeing them all across Europe decades ago. I asked local builders who scoffed and said if they were any good we'd be using them here too. Fast forward and now we see them in every shade of color in all corners. The only roofing I've done myself was with asphalt shingles. But from watching my roof go on the cabin, the panels seem simpler and quicker to install. Cost-wise, how much do the panels run? I'd love to roof my new shed in deep green to match my cabin.

ColchesterCabin

Don_P, what is Butyl Tape? a double sided tape or something?
Visit my thread would love to have your input http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=12139.0
Feel free to visit my Photobuckect album of all pictures related to this build http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p566/ColchesterCabin/

Dave Sparks

Don, I wish I could show you how messy the sikka deck caulk is for a boat with Teak decks. Even the pros have a bad day and it just gets everywhere. Fourth best day of my life was the sale of that boat.
"we go where the power lines don't"

MountainDon

... 4th best day.....  wonder what 1, 2 and three are?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Quote from: ColchesterCabin on July 27, 2012, 07:05:41 AM
Don_P, what is Butyl Tape? a double sided tape or something?

It is sold in rolls by the metal suppliers. It is a ~1/4"x3/8" strip of rubbery, sticky but not gooey ... caulk, with a strip of release paper stuck to and rolled up with it. Roll it down a seam or whatever with the release backing up and press to stick it to that lower sheet, remove the paper and press down the upper sheet into the strip of butyl, a good watertight seal.

One of our suppliers is a local truss shop that expanded into post frame buildings so they keep all the supplies in stock. The other is a metal shop that specializes in roofing and supplying the post frame companies although they do not make trusses, etc. Those type of shops can do it all and carry or can get just about anything related to metal roofing. I have a $200 round the corner and behind your back special order crimper if anyone is interested.

There is also a crew of guys from just over the WV line that I've called in once. They site form standing seam pans on the ground and crimp the roof together in place, true standing seam. I think they had 40K tied up in that roof, it ain't cheap. Anyway I was asking their lead for some tips working with the tube caulk. "Just smear the stuff all over you to start with."

Squirl

QuoteThe best 2 days of a boat owner's life are: 1. The day he gets the boat 2. The day he sells the boat.

That is two.  I don't know the other two. Two boats?

MountainDon

Dave's comment about the 4th best day of his life inspired me to start a new topic.

Over here....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

builderboy

A couple comments on my experience with metal roof. 1) depending on roof insulation, it's noisy in the rain (and wind for that matter) 2) snow sheds off - consider where it's falling. A neighbor has a full time job clearing his entrance steps/deck in winter. 3) I found it an easy DIY with lengths around 10 feet. 4) I went on over ashphalt shingle with mine. The manufacturer required spacing it off the shingles with strapping to maintain warrenty.