Sheathing Question

Started by n74tg, August 20, 2008, 09:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

The house I am building will have walls that are 9'-6.25" tall (to match the existing garage wall height).  Below floor level is the 2x10 rim joist and the 2x8 mudsill (combined height 10.75").  I want to have my 5/8" OSB sheathing cover the rimjoist and mudsill, but that gives me a total height to cover of 10'-5". 

I plan to run the sheathing with the long dimension parallel to the floor with two full "rows" of sheathing with 2'-5" leftover.  The leftover piece would go in the middle of the wall, with 4' wide full sheets above and below it. 

I am not happy with the leftover waste that I will have (19" x 8') on a bunch of pieces. 

Does anybody have any ideas for a possibly less wasteful way to sheath the walls.

One idea I thought of was to only partially cover the rimjoist (and cover none of the mudsill) so that my "middle piece" would be 2' wide exactly (and I would have no waste).  I could then come back in and rip a 5" wide section to cover the bottom of the rimjoist and mudsill.  The downside to that idea is that the bottom piece of sheathing doesn't tie everything together as well.

Help...
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

How about 4x9 sheets standing vertical and making the difference up with an add on strip cut from 4x8 sheets at the wall top?

Some places require blocking wherever there is a horizontal panel joint meeting another, to follow the IRC rule about all edges being nailed every 6 inches.

Some places also require the sheathing to be vertically placed.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

n74tg

Thanks Don:

Unfortunately, all the sheathing (4x8) is already sitting in the garage.
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

PEG688

Soldier it all 96" + 29" = 125"  / 10'5"  , You'll get 3 pieces out of each 4x8 sheet. You should (if you have to pass inspection ) block at the 96" line to comply with the IRC as Mtn D has stated.

Your using 5x8 OSB on side walls? Why? You'll need to special order your door jambs or fir them out as a standard 6 9/16" jamb will be to narrow.

I'd save that 5/8" for the roof where it can do you some good, it holds roofing nails better,IMO, but then you may have a metal roof planned so nail holding abilities may not be a factor.     

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .