Wood stoves for small cabins

Started by karlscabin, March 18, 2010, 09:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlscabin

I saw where some one asked about using one of those small sheet metal woodstoves in a cabin.  
Check out my cabin at:
don't bother

Sheet metal stoves can also be safe under the right conditions, LaMar, .... I mean  Karl... [waiting]

fishing_guy

Karl,

Just so you don't step on too many toes...

We're a pretty diverse group.  We have more conventional houses all the way to more "esoteric" ones.  There are those in the city, those in the country, to those out of country.  On grid to off grid.

We have anything from professional builders to excited, just out of school kids.  Guys who would spend an hour fussing over a miter to those whose main saw is a chainsaw.  We've had houses made out of dirt, cement block, straw bales, timber framed...

The glue that binds us together...a desire to learn AND a desire to teach each other and to share our experiences.  We do this by questioning, not with blunt force.  Don't belittle someone's choices.  There are reasons they have made them.  Some choices are made out of inexperience.   That's where our gentle questioning come in.  Others are made from a true desire to try something new.  That to me is a valid choice, and how this country will get out of the box it's in now.

We're a diverse group...we welcome new people.  Just take a bit and get to know our style...

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

OlJarhead

I checked out your site and didn't see (easily) that it was a site dedicated to cabin building of your own cabin.  I did see a boatload of advertising which always discourages me.

However, having said all that I was lead to find this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002OMGYHA/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&v=glance

Which I found using Google and Amazon based on the information you've sent and I'm very interested in this little stove.  It's undoubtedly not legal to buy and install in WA State but I'm curious none-the-less as I would like to build some small guest cabins near our main cabin some day and spending $1k for a wood stove can be discouraging whereas $230 (after shipping) is sorta kinda interest peaking.

However, the chimney can be easily three to four times that if you are using modern insulated pipe.....

glenn kangiser

I received complaints that Karl is a spammer - all roads lead to adds, so I banned him.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OlJarhead

Quote from: glenn kangiser on March 18, 2010, 03:42:16 PM
I received complaints that Karl is a spammer - all roads lead to adds, so I banned him.

Thanks -- I checked his site out and each link -- they were all to ads.

MountainDon

Crap! I take a vacation and miss some fun here.    :( 

That's the way the cookie crumbles....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Solar Burrito

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 18, 2010, 12:03:05 PM
I checked out your site and didn't see (easily) that it was a site dedicated to cabin building of your own cabin.  I did see a boatload of advertising which always discourages me.

However, having said all that I was lead to find this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002OMGYHA/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&v=glance

Which I found using Google and Amazon based on the information you've sent and I'm very interested in this little stove.  It's undoubtedly not legal to buy and install in WA State but I'm curious none-the-less as I would like to build some small guest cabins near our main cabin some day and spending $1k for a wood stove can be discouraging whereas $230 (after shipping) is sorta kinda interest peaking.

However, the chimney can be easily three to four times that if you are using modern insulated pipe.....

I have this stove in your link. It works well, it's cheap not heavy gauge but it's totally functional for our needs. Reminds me of the Harbor Freight ones. It's small which is what we need. It's going back into the cabin we're building now.

Is there another link to the sheet metal stove mentioned above?

We also are going to need to run a tall chimimy and I'm curioius what the cheapest way to do that is.... We have about 8' of the stainless double wall pipe and it looks expensive! Trying to avoid buying more.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

MountainDon

Safe chimney is not cheap. The best deal on insulated chimney I found is the S/S Selkirk brand that Lowe's carries. They have limited inventory sizes and associated parts and only in 6" in my area. But they beat everyone else on the prices. They have a ceiling installation kit that is a very good deal. Their insulated pipe is Class A fire rated; S/S inner and outer with an inch of mineral wool insulation packed between the pipe layers.

Be aware that different brands of insulated pipe usually are incompatible with each other. There are no cheap safe shortcuts, especially if there's an inspector or you want to buy insurance.

There's no link to the sheet metal stove; it was pure unsolicited self serving spam advertising. A search for an outfitter stove should bring up assorted websites. There's also some links around here in an old topic. Maybe I can find them later.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.