redwood or cedar?

Started by handofdoom, March 06, 2010, 01:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handofdoom

heres what im trying to build in my yard my question is which wood to use redwood or cedar,and shoud i sink the post in to concrete or use tiedowns. https://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/imsedated/new%20album/2x4scopy-1.jpg
9 out of the 10 voices in my head told me to stay home and clean my guns today.

MountainDon

w* handofdoom, we're both up late.  :D

Redwood or cedar; sometimes that depends on local availability. Here in NM redwood is easy, but pricey. Cedar is mostly not available except for 'dog ear' fence pickets.   

I've built a similar structure here. The two front posts I used were carefully selected 4x4 redwood and I sunk them in the ground 4 feet for the lateral stability. They've been in the ground something like 15 years and still seem solid. The back end of mine is attached to a concrete block wall that I reinforced by filling several of the spaces with rebar and concrete.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I just bought some redwood 2x8's... $2000. per thousand BF I think it was .

4 at 14' = $160 or so.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Don_P

w*
Some thoughts as I quickly looked at the design;
6x6's are much less likely to bow than 4x6's for the posts. The front posts need 2 or 4 knee braces since it looks like the roof structure doesn't provide much rack bracing across its' top from the masonry wall to the front. Redwood is considerably stronger than cedar, neither is particularly strong, so bear that in mind. The beam should be sized for the span between posts and the load of the roof. The rafters should be sized for the loads they will bear.