How hard to frame hip (truss) roof?

Started by Alan Gage, March 22, 2011, 01:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Gage

Trying to decide between a hip or gable roof on my project (both 4/12). I like the looks of a hip and like the idea of instant overhangs on all walls.

I'm sure the gable would be cheaper and easier but I'd need to construct an overhang on at least the south gable wall to shade the windows and entry door.

One of the things I'm unsure of is just how difficult it is to do the hip roof. This is my first big project and while I'm pretty handy I don't really want to get in over my head. So, how much tougher is it that a standard gable roof?

The house, BTW, will be 38x30.

Thanks,

Alan

MountainDon

I'm not clear on whether you mean to build the hip roof using dimensional lumber, making rafters yourself, or buying manufactured trusses. The "to frame" and "truss" words confuse me.

A truss manufacturer can supply all the pieces and the drawings to assemble a hip truss roof. You do need help to raise, place and safely secure the trusses, but on a large rfater roof you'd also likely want a helper or two as well.

truss hip system...

.... some assembly required.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jbos333

Just keep in mind, if you get any snow in your area, and especially if you have a metal roof, you will have avalanches on all 4 sides of the house! Unless, of course, you elect to hold it up on the roof with those blocker thingies, which to me defeats one of the big benefits of a metal roof.

ScottA

1.5x as hard. Takes more wood and shingles and you'll have more scrap. You'll end up with a roof that looks better IMHO.

Alan Gage

Sorry for the confusion. Won't be framing with dimensional. Will be using pre built trusses.

I realize it will just be a matter of putting together the jigsaw puzzle with instructions but didn't know how much more difficult it was to fit all the jigsaw pieces of a hip roof, especially with only 1 or 2 helpers and no prior experience.

Alan

MountainDon

That's what I thought you meant. My guess would be that if you supply the truss company with accurate information for them to base the design on you should be able to figure it out and you end up with the roof design you want. Getting the trusses up on the wall tops is the really big question. Around here trusses come delivered on a roll off truck and are dropped in a pile on the ground. A crane truck would be nice to get them on top of the walls. Check out those details. Improper handling can damage the trusses. They are not all that strong when laid flat.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Alan Gage

Well it's good to hear that I probably won't be in over my head with a hip roof.

I gave my building a supplier a copy of my plans a couple weeks ago and asked if it would be enough for the truss company and he said no problem, so hopefully all will go smooth.

Thanks,

Alan