anyone drill their own well

Started by jenndun, November 04, 2007, 05:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenndun

I found a websit that told how to do your own well. Has anyone done this and would it be up to code?
http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

Redoverfarm

I would say that would work fine in some areas but as a general rule this application would be useless in the majority of the areas throughout the US.  Case in point I recently has a well drilled on a ridgetop and it was 190 feet through rock before hitting water.  A friend less than a quarter mile drilled 740 feet through rock before hitting water.  That would be a lot of hammering. Too much for me.

glenn kangiser

I and my crew have drilled about 300 of them, jenndun.

That is a pretty good site with lots of pretty good info and as to whether you can do that, I have to bring up PEG's stock answer.  

Depends.

Where are you located?  Some places have shallow enough water for this to be possible.  Quality could be questionable.

Up to the code? --- depends. :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peter nap

I did and agree to a point with what was posted. If you need to go deep for water, it's not a do it yourself job unless you are a very good DIY'er.

I have found though, that in most of Virginia, you can get usable water at 100' or less.

After going through everything I could find on small drill rigs and a long thread here, I made one from a power posthole digger and a store bought well bit and water swivel.

I tried a half dozen spots before I hit a fissure in the rock. It was pretty easy from there. If you live where there is a lot of groundwater pollution...forget it and go deep.

jenndun

We're buying land outside of Hartsel CO. About 2 hrs from Denver.

glenn kangiser

Soil conditions can vary greatly even in small areas.  When you know more about it we could explore possibilities. :)

Of all things -- they have a Mariposa street there.  I live near Mariposa, CA.

I got a decent look at the town and surrounding area on Google Earth.

Are you out in the flat area or up on the hills and mountains.

Some of the flat looks like there is quite a bit of water there.  Also consider springs.  What about freeze depth?  

Here is a screenshot looking West across the town.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Preston

Colorado is wet right now, but hasn't been in recent years.  The last 2 years have been the wettest out of the last 10.  I've never drilled but a lot of people in colorado springs that have grid water and a well, often see their wells dry up in the summer, so maybe go deep?
The secret to being boring is to say everything.  --Voltaire