HELP!! desperatley need pics of 16X20 int

Started by bushrat, August 20, 2010, 06:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushrat

really could use some pics as I have drawn about 50 int layouts and still not happy with the results, please help

MountainDon

It seems to me that it might help if you could post a picture/scan of a few of your plans that came close to fulfilling your wants along with what you didn't like.  Or list what items you are wanting to include in the 16x20 space.

Perhaps you are trying to include too many items?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bushrat

I'm not computer savy enough to post pics and don't have a scanner, but what I'm looking to have is two double bunks a large or long cuonter space/kitchen, dining table,woodstove sitting  area

bayview

What about a bathroom . . . One story or would a loft work?

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

bushrat

no bathroom (out house) instead as this is just a trapping cabin, have already bought 5/12 trusses to help speed up the building process should have my permit next week and hope to start then lots of help volunteered so hopefully everyone shows up and we get the bulk of work done in a weekend or two

bayview

I have pushed it around for a little bit . . .    Have come up with nothing.   Sorry . . .

You have asked for a nearly impossible task.   There just isn't enough room for all the items you require with a wood stove.   I came up with a couple of things. . .    But had a problem with placement of windows. 

As a suggestion . . .    You may want to build the bunk beds with a hinged top mattress.   Drop the top mattress down so it would create a couch.

Good Luck!

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

Hmmmm.  If we removed the 3 x 7 foot bath/shower room from our cabin, then removed the queen size bed out of our cabin and replaced it with two double bunk beds I believe we'd have pretty much what you want. The only problem is that our cabin is 30 feet long.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0

There are lots of photos there scattered throughout the topic.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bushrat

FIGURED IT OUT!! thanks everyone, decided to go with 1  8X8 bedroom and use the space where the other 8X8 bedroom would have been to put my kitchen area in ( ended up with 13 feet of counter space ) enter the bedroom of the kitchen.  I now have a 12X16 area to put in the table and woodstove and will now use a foldout couch or two to replace the other double bunk and will still have a small living room to relax and entertain in. when the evening festivities are done I can fold out the couches for my guests to sleep on. p.s. will take pics and get  one of my computer savy relations to post them as soon as things start to progress. again thanks everyone can not wait to start

bayview

I'm glad you got it figured out . . .    I was tossing and turning until I came up with this . . .

/.

OlJarhead

Quote from: bushrat on August 21, 2010, 06:22:16 AM
I'm not computer savy enough to post pics and don't have a scanner, but what I'm looking to have is two double bunks a large or long cuonter space/kitchen, dining table,woodstove sitting  area

IOn a 16x20 this is easy peasy mate!  I've got a 14x24 which while not exactly the same thing is pretty close considering I've got a bath in there that takes up 6x6 space.

So without the bath you can put the bunks on the far side (long wall) across from the Kitchen counter etc -- then on the other end you put the wood stove (something like a Vermont Castings Aspen) off center about 3-4 feet (so it's not in the corner but not in the middle either because corner placement means too much bracing in the roof for me) -- dinning table opposite of the wood stove.

I'll do up a plan when I get time (later in the week) if you need one but here are some pics of our cabin layout.

Erik

To the left of the wood stove (remember this is a 14x24 so with a 16x20 you would have more room then this).

Looking at the opposite end to the wood stove.  Bathroom on the left still leaves room for bunks on the right -- so kitchen counter is easy.

Dinning table could also go in the middle.

A good one to check out is: http://www.countryplans.com/nash.html it is a 16x24 so longer but gives you a really good idea of space.

Have fun.,