Margins for error/tolerances per stage?

Started by MikeT, September 17, 2006, 09:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I am currently building and setting the footing forms for my Victoria's Cottage with a full basement below.  My question has to do with the acceptable tolerances during this and subsequent stages of construction:

1. If my forms (and consequently my foundation) is out of square between 1/2" and a full inch, is that okay?  What about 2"?

2. Level: if the level is between the black lines in every direction on all parts of my forms, but not dead center, is that okay?

3. If my form boards are slighltly bowed, so the footing is slightly narrower in a spot than others, it that okay?  We are talking about 1/2" on a footing that is 18" wide.

4. When I move forward, what is the acceptable margin for error as I frame?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

PEG688

1. If my forms (and consequently my foundation) is out of square between 1/2" and a full inch, is that okay?  What about 2"?

2. Level: if the level is between the black lines in every direction on all parts of my forms, but not dead center, is that okay?

3. If my form boards are slighltly bowed, so the footing is slightly narrower in a spot than others, it that okay?  We are talking about 1/2" on a footing that is 18" wide.

4. When I move forward, what is the acceptable margin for error as I frame?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike

#1: Should be within 1/4" . Can ya build if it isn't , yes . You should correct by hanging your box sill over on one corner and in on the other, Trying to make sure the siding will over hang in the "short corner .  All this can be avioded if you just square up the forms . Worst I ever built on was in 1977 3" out of sqr. Frank Sailor concrete / form contractor , in Slaterville , R.I.  Never worked behind / or with Frank again, not that that is relievant but  ::)

#2: No you'l pay for it later out of level is harder to compensate for . Rent a lazer get it right on or you'll fight it all the way to the peak.

#3: Not a big deal , footing should be close to sqr , but a bow / step out / in for by passing form lumber instead of cuuting them is common practice , You'll snap sqr. straight lines on the footing so again level / UP / DOWN is where you want it right on , side to side not a BIGGIE. But it does / can tend to reflex the overall mind set you may be developing which could in turn carry on thru out the project.

#4: 1/8 " or less. PERIOD!

G/L , PEG

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MikeT

Thanks, Peg.  I will go back and remeasure my footings.  I know most are dead on-- square and level.  But as I dropped over in my step foundation, the "figurin" got a little complicated for my tired brain.  Near as I can tell, the main section (the largest) is square and level, the middle drop is square to itself and level across each section of the footing and is dead on or near dead on along each part of the footing form, and finally the small bumpout is on the final drop and it is square and level throughout.

I will shoot it with a laser level when I return mid-week.

I will try and read up on how to insert images, so y'all can see what I am doing.

Cheers,
Mike