Rainwater harvesting with asphalt shingle roof

Started by Arky217, December 23, 2007, 04:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arky217

I currently use a British Berkefeld ceramic water filter for the water that I consume.
Does anyone see a problem with rainwater harvested from an asphalt shingle roof if the potable portion is run through this filter ?

Thanks,
Arky

MountainDon

Asphalt wouldn't be my first choice, but if that's what you got, well , that's what ya' got.

Besides the usual assortment of dust, dirt, leaves, bird droppings in the first wash off the roof, you'll have granules. You can filter thru a first stage sieve to get rid of most of the larger debris. I have done some reading about harvesting for potable water and some seem to think there may be some dangers from the water leaching minerals and toxic chemicals from the asphalt composition. And some don't.  :-\ ???

Will the Berkey do anything for the dissolved minerals or chemicals leached from the asphalt base?

A metal roof will give a greater yield especially with rain falls of shorter duration.

Here's a link that may help
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John_C

I had a cistern as my sole water source in the FL house that I built.  The regulations down there would not allow a cistern for potable water off an asphalt roof.  Metal and concrete roofs were the usual way to go if you were going to have a cistern.   I also spent a lot of time in the Bahamas where cisterns are very common.  I never saw one that was used for potable water on a house with asphalt shingles or cedar shakes.  I would be very reluctant to go that route.. YMMV

tanya

I believe asphalt is derived from petro products and there would be really toxic cancer causing chemicals in the run off. Even bathing in it would be unhealthy. You could check with the state of Hawaii health dept.  Almost all of the water there is rain catchment and they could give you some specifics and information on what is best. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.