Flooring Insulation Q's....

Started by eddiescabin, March 30, 2010, 02:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiescabin

I have used an oddball subfloor material- HDPE ( 1"plastic) but that should not change the way my place is insulated from below. Looking at Lowe's today they had 4x8 sheets of "R-Tech" rigid "styrofoam" insulation...the major question was the 1" thick was fully 1/4 the price of the 2" thick and had about (trying to recall here) 1/4 the R value...didnt make sence to me, why could I not go with 2 of the 1 inch sheets (at a great savings) and obtain the same or at least close R value to the 2" material?  Also, am I correct in thinking of the placement using the following layers from top down toward the ground. A)Subfloor   B)Fiberglass Batts  C)R-Tech or similar rigid foam insulation D)Anti-critter Galv wire net. 
As I think of this operation I realize my build has floor joists that are perpandicular to the supporting beams which are on 4' centers...making getting the fiberglass batting a bit more difficult as I'd have to weasel it above the beams to run at the 90 degree difference. Then have the rigid foam running the length of the 4x6 PT supporting beams. 

Shoulda thunk about thye insulation BEFORE laying down the subfloor! d*

John Raabe

This may be the R-tech product you have found: http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived-f/premierindustries/derived_files/derived388531.pdf

This is an EPS foam and looks to have an R6 to 7 per inch.

Your proposed layers for the floor insulation sound good to me. Make sure everything is dried out before insulating. I wouldn't tape the foam airtight as you want it to be able to breathe somewhat.
None of us are as smart as all of us.