how to frame a gable-style entrance door overhang

Started by sharbin, September 20, 2011, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharbin

Hello,

I realized after couple of rain falls while I was trying to put the key into the entrance door and open it in a hurry  :-[, that I would need a door overhang, gable style. I would like to have a free hanging one, that is without posts rather wall braces, in a gable style. I looked everywhere but did not find any instructions on how to do it. I found the pictures that Rob LeMay posted long time ago, but did not find any comments on how he did it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: sharbin on September 20, 2011, 04:00:25 PM
Hello,

I realized after couple of rain falls while I was trying to put the key into the entrance door and open it in a hurry  :-[, that I would need a door overhang, gable style. I would like to have a free hanging one, that is without posts rather wall braces, in a gable style. I looked everywhere but did not find any instructions on how to do it. I found the pictures that Rob LeMay posted long time ago, but did not find any comments on how he did it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Basicly the same as your dormers if you are attaching them to the roof.  To the wall same framing tech's but without the valley rafters.  As far as the support you will need to just get imaginative in the detail that you want the "corbels" to look like.  Most direct would just be a 45 deg brace from the overhang to the wall.  I would let -in that brace into some substantial wall plate.  But you will only be able to go so far in the demensions ( wall out to end of overhang) or you will need horizontal post.  I would imagine you are only probably talking about 4 feet just enough to be out of the rain.

But you will have to either remove the siding in the area of the new  porch or cut it away for the framing so that you can attach the porch framing to the wall support framing.  Flashing is must so remember it before you sheet it with your metal.

sharbin

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes the overhang would be only couple of feet, thinking 3 feet maximum or any smaller dimension that simplifies the bracing factor.
I was thinking of using lag bolts long enough to go through the siding into the interior wall studs.

I am a very visual guy :) so any link to illustrations/pictures with step by step instructions would be of a great help.

Thanks.

FrankInWI

I am amazed this posting was up when I checked in.  I want to build the same thing, but with posts to the ground/stupp rather than self supporting. 

one of my questions is.... what type of flashing does one use between the new gabel entry roof and the house wall (vinyl) ??

I am turning this side door into the main entrance, so I am also trying to make it very attractive. I want to sell my duplex (side by side) so I can finish building my country place.  I turn the side of my corner unit into a fake house front and put up a phoney address on that side cause that side is bordered by single family homes, while the current front is all duplexes up the street.  My faux address will be 1300 PArk Ave.  (cause the side is on Park Ave.). Hope the city and Post Office don't mess with me.
god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

Simply put the flashing must be behind the siding and then be bent over the surface of the roofing material. If the siding is already installed that becomes more difficult to do especially when dealing with a roof line that crosses the siding at a diagonal.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Not a very handsome example but all the structure is there. For snow load you would want to tie together the rafters with a rafter tie sitting on the beams.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

BRUTAL

Is it really neededto tie into the studs of the wall> I dont have siding all the wall up on  my cabin since I want to build a 12x16covered deck with a shed roof coming off the front. I haveonly Hardi planked to the 1st floor top plate and was going to screw a ledger board to the top plate and 2nd floor wall studs through the OSB. then coming off this to a beam ontop of cedar posts cemented in the ground 4' and build the roof and dack accordingly. Oh and No snow load in south Texas ;D
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=11116.0
making mistakes along the way and wishing Ide been here sooner :)

Redoverfarm

Quote from: sharbin on September 21, 2011, 07:28:00 AM
Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes the overhang would be only couple of feet, thinking 3 feet maximum or any smaller dimension that simplifies the bracing factor.
I was thinking of using lag bolts long enough to go through the siding into the interior wall studs.

I am a very visual guy :) so any link to illustrations/pictures with step by step instructions would be of a great help.

Thanks.

If your entry door is 3/0 then you should at least go 42-48" to keep the door and you  ;) in the dry when opened if it is an outswing door.  Three feet is the least I would do on an inswing. If you are carring larger items into the house and you have to stop to open the door it would keep you dry as well as what you are carring.

Bad idea on lagging to attach through the siding. You can lag them but your best would be to remove the siding.   You can lay it out against your siding and then remove the particular portion of siding that your 2X ledger material would take. Just set your circular saw to the depth of your siding after you have establised the outline of the pitch.   Then attach those ledger to the underlying studs.  Don't forget the flashing as I stated before.  When you remove the pieces (cutout) of siding remember to allow the demensions to incorporate the sheeting.

Don_P

Quick and dirty math, half the vertical load on John's picture is the withdrawal load trying to pull the fasteners out of the wall.  The entire weight is also in shear on the fasteners. Those things weigh more than you might think. Running the post that is against the wall to the ground takes alot of the stress out of things.

this was a corner post but might give some more ideas