16x32 1 1/2 storey, Manitoba

Started by upa, August 24, 2009, 12:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upa

I want to start off and say how extremely helpful I have found reading this forum, like may others I found it inspiring and decided to start building  7 weeks ago. As the title describes I decided to build a 16 x32 one and half story structure. I had built a couple of sheds in the past but this is certainly my most ambitious project to date as a solo builder . I forgot to take pics for the foundation, but essentially it's a concrete piered/crawl space foundation.Took me about a 2 weeks to excavate, frame and pour the concrete
Me and my two boys throwing up the framing.

upa

A few more pics of the progress to date

I am of course now starting to feel the summer end and feel the pressure to dry the structure in.

TexstarJim

Its looking terrific and I'm very impressed with your work.  Keep us updated [cool]
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

Dave43950

I like it :)

Are you putting sliding glass on the back there?

And do you have a set layout yet, or just playing it by ear?
- Dave -
Floor plans for my project:
http://usera.imagecave.com/Thydez/Floorplans.jpg

upa

Yes, that indeed is the spot for a 6ft wide slider and it all is very much playing by ear. I am trying to keep the interior layout as open as possible.  I did not really have a set of plans, other than some rudamentary drawings I drafted. I basically just upscaled a 8x12 shed I built from scratch a few years ago.

Things seems to change on the fly frequently. Originally I had planned for a covered deck and a large single shed dormer on the back side but time has become my enemy. I only have the weekends by myself now and I started to realize I might not dry in before the fall rains so I scaled back the original plans and might just retro fit them next summer or maybe not. I guess that is the beauty of being your own builder, just do whatever hits your fancy that day.

Mike 870

How tall are your walls in total, first and second floor combined?  I'm trying to visualize how high certian designs will look on a 16 wide cabin.  Looks good, I like that shed a lot too.

upa

8 ft interior walls on the first floor, 4 ft half wall on the second story with an additional 5 1/2 feet down the center to the ridge beam, dormers are 6 feet wide,  overall height is about 20 feet.

MountainDon

Hi upa! Looking good!

Where about in Manitoba? I was born and raised in Winnipeg and lived there till '85.  Looks as flat as I remember it too. Greener than NM though.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

upa

Wow, small world. We made the opposite move when we crossed over from New York State to Manitoba about 15 years ago. Our digs are a formerly abandoned farm about an hours drive south of Winnipeg on the Minnesota boarder. Fortunately we get a daily dose of Americana once to two times a day as a US military blackhawk or CBP does a boarder flyby.  Occasionally they stray over onto the Canadian  side to see what we are doing, they must really miss us ::) It's that or they think we are growing some funny tobacco ???

upa

Some progress this weekend on the roofing, got all six windows on the main floor in, skylight and chimney for the wood stove also made it in. Can I mention I hate roofing d*. Thankfully Tim, a good friend and neighbor came by and provided much appreciated help.

upa

A little more work this week end, the front door made it in and I hooked up the wood stove to the chimney, just as well it's starting to get cool a night. I am actually starting to think I might have her closed in soon.

HomeschoolMom

It is fun to watch you progress so fast!   ;D
Michelle
Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys
Married to Jason, Self Employed

Wanting an earth bermed hybrid timberframe...just need some inheritance  ;)  Will never have another mortgage again!

upa

HomeschoolMom, thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I can't beleive how quickly the last two months have gone by. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I am really enjoying the construction process. I think my wife and the bank account are looking forward to me slowing down once I dry in, at least that's what the plan is:)

Sassy

Wow, you have really moved along fast!  Looks good & I love that little shed you built!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

upa

Thank you Sassy. I built my first masonary wall on that shed. I happened to pick up a couple tons of cheap bricks from our local habitat store and just went to town building it, learned alot about the importance of proper headers and level, plumb on that project. Funny enough masonary is not very forgiving if don't keep those in mind. ::) I am hoping to do something similar on this project ,perhaps a cultured stone front facade. I think it should turn out ok  ???

upa

For anyone that is interested in a similar project, I just added up my receipts and it looks like my "dry in" material budget(+ my "free"labor) is coming close to my initial target at just over $12000 CAN$ or about $12-13 per sq/ft. This appears to be very similar to the cost in US dollars. I have been pricing building supplies locally and across the border, some items are more expensive here and some more in the states, irrespective of currency fluctuations the net difference appears nominal at this point. I am still shooting for a conservative $25 per sq/ft finished cost. It's probably going to be tight, but a fella has to make targets to shoot at. ;D

cabinfever

Nice work, upa! Mine went up much faster than I thought it would, too. Like you, I found I enjoyed the work. I also found that I prefer working alone - it has a meditative, zen sort of feel - 'carry water, chop wood' as the monks say.

upa

My dear wife steered me away from the planned slider and had me put in 6ft double outswing french doors. It got me thinking that I really need a deck for it to outswing to, so now I am back to my original plan of building  a covered deck on the back end of the house. It might be a bit of a gamble to pull off before the weather goes sour :-\ but here we go anyways.

poppy

I'm with your wife on the french doors; never did like sliders.

upa

Another weekend has come and gone, got the framing for the rear covered deck done and some of the roof sheathing up.

upa

A little more done this weekend, dry in is in sight. Again for anyone who is interested in planning a similar project my time investment up to this point is approximately 440 hours.

Sassy

Looks great!  You've gotten a lot done in that amount of time  [cool]
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

upa

Thank you again Sassy, you are too kind. I just thought it would be interesting to comment not just on material cost but also the time factor. As a relatively novice builder I always find the time budget the most difficult to establish  ??? and keep.

upa

No pics but I am happy to report that the roof is complete all the windows and doors are in. I am officially "closed in"  as of today.  ;D yeah!!

upa

Have not posted in a little while thought I would share some of the work in the last weekend. I have pretty much decided the exterior siding will wait until the spring and have focused on insulation, moving bits of furniture in, working on next years woodpile and built a 8x8 shed that will likely house my batteries, inverter, etc.