Remote cabin fire protection

Started by MountainDon, December 07, 2006, 08:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I was reading thru older threads and came upon one regarding fire protection that reminded me of something I thought of during one of my "planning in my head" sessions. (They're pretty much a constant ongoing thing.) ... main trouble is remembering at a later date if I don't make a memo of some sort.  

The best fire protection, of course, is prevention. Thru many years of travel and camping thru the southwest I am very aware of the dangers and the need to be constantly aware. Anyhow, there was mention of having fire extiguishers, water on hand in drums or tanks, and so on. Now, my planned place in the mountains is not going to have it's own well at first. My nearest (1/4 mile) neighbor will allow me to use his well, and my plan is to stockpile a hundred or so gallons in plastic drums or a tank for use. Once the cabin is done there will be a rainwater harvesting system; hope it rains more than last year. Someday my own well; after some other things.

The only problem with having a drum or tank of water handy is getting the water from it to the fire. You need a pump, hoses and electricity if it's an electric pump, or a gas pump, etc. etc..  If there was a big fire I'd be in trouble. Hopefully that won't come along and if one does hopefully the forest service will air bomb with fire retardent. But that's getting into another thing. (I'm bordered by National Forest on the south side)

One of my off the wall ideas was to make up several fire extinguishers from second hand Cornelius Kegs. Those of you interested in home brew beer know what they are... used Pepsi. Coke and other soft drink stainless steel 5 gallon syrup concentrate kegs. They're available on ebay from a number of vendors. They will hold 90 to 130 lbs. air pressure (there's a popoff safety valve). I figure 4 gallons of water in the 5 gal keg will leave enough room for air (pressurized by any air compressor) to force the water out the exit tube. I'll need to find an easy to operate with one hand valve.

Does this idea seem too far off in left field or seem workable to anyone else for a boondock location?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Sounds like a good idea to me Mountain Don.  Should be a great hit at parties too. :)

We use a pressurized water fire extinguisher on the job sometimes.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bartholomew

If you have limited water then consider getting a couple jugs of firefighting foam. A gallon of foamy water is supposedly as effective as 10 gallons of plain water. I don't know if that is 100% true but it definitely helps a lot. Also think about getting a manual backpack pump. They hold about 20 liters (5 gallons or so) and cost under $200. Some have a separate container for the foam so you don't have to have it mixed up ahead of time. Most seem to have pumps that operate like pumping a shotgun. You get more pressure from the ones that have a rigid frame and a pump handle that sticks out by your hip that you pump up and down.

Amanda_931

And prevention may include things like no inflammables within however many feet of the house.  

Not perfect, as sometimes those western forest fires seem to be carried on/generate their own gale force winds.

Not building with burnables.  The straw bale people believe that well plastered straw bale is pretty well fireproof--certainly a bench survived the Okland fire, although a famous early house, now the Burritt Museum in Huntsville Alabama, did burn, I believe after it was completed--the first time.

One can't count on being there when the fire starts.  Especially if it's a vacation place, but one could have been evacuated on general principles, or have just gone to a movie in the big city.

glenn kangiser

Another point - as Amanda said -- clear a good space - defensible space around here now means a 300 foot radius.

Keep in mind that if a big fire comes by, a little water will do nothing.  We have had several toasted firefighters around here this and last year. Best is to get out with your life while you can.  Stopping a small fire is usually fairly easy but once it gets away - could only take seconds - it is too late.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.