Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagan

Scott,

I can't find any posts on it, perhaps I'm reading too fast, but did you post anything about how you built your ships ladder for your loft?

ScottA

I don't think I went into any detail. What would you like to know?

pagan

What size stock you used, how you determined the rise between treads, and how you fastened ladder? Did you simply lag bolt it together or have you cut out to recess the treads? Pretty much the whole shooting match.

By the way, your place is looking sweet.

ScottA

The sides are 2x10's. The treads are 2x8's. The run is 5" and the rise is 10 1/4". I copied this from a commercial OSHA approved design. The rise can vary between 8" and 11 1/2" I belive. You can adjust it to suit your floor height. I wouldn't go much over 10" though for comfort. Mine works pretty good. Easy to go up and down. Needs hand rails on both sides.

As for putting it together. I used 6 16d case nails per side evenly spaced and predrilled to keep them dead center of the stock. The joints are also glued with tightbond II. It's been in use for over a year and seems to be fine but I have some metal angle brackets I'm going to add on both sides of each tread underneith as a backup. I just need to get them painted and put them in. It's on my to-do list.  d*

pagan

I'll be building something along these lines in the next few months so your input is appreciated.

Thank you, Scott.

ScottA

Woodwork in various stages of completion. Sorry for all the dust. The bad weather forces me to work inside.

ScottA

Here's a few more dusty pics.

The hand rails are selected 2x4s. Cost maybe $10

ScottA

My work shop and wood pile. Pretty messy I know. All the trim and other woodwork is sawn from 1x12's. I found this was the cheapest way to go. A little more work though. Looks like about 6-8 weeks to completion if all goes well.

Redoverfarm

Looking good Scott.  Have you started on the doors and drawers for the cabinets.  That part always seem slow to me.

ScottA

Starting on those next week John.

Jens

great Scott work!  I mean, great work Scott!  I like the rail being lifted up off the wall like that.  What was your finish on the trim?  Looks like amber shellac. 
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

ScottA

Thanks for the kind words. The finish is a 4 step process. 1 coat of minwax puritan pine stain and 3 coats of minwax wipe on satin poly hand rubed into the wood. The wood is sanded to 120 grit before the stain. The third coat of poly has not been done yet in any of the pics. I'll sand it to 220 grit before the final coat goes on. After all the dust is cleaned up first.

Redoverfarm

Scott I used to use tack cloth before the final coat but I was told that it can leave a residue that will efffect the final coat.  I now use a lint free cloth with rubbing alcohol.  It will pick up the dust and dries almost immediately. In a pinch I have even used Bounty.  The alcohol keeps all the paper fibers together ;)

OkieJohn2

There are a couple of things at WallyWorld you might find helpful, over in automotive they have a bundle of microfiber cloths, I think it is a dozen for $5.00 they also have rolls of blue "shop towels" paper towels that are very lint free and pretty cheap, twice as expensive as regular paper towels but very strong.  They work great for doing windows and you use a lot less towels.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

Redoverfarm

Scott I was just wondering if you have ever looked up your place on Goggle or Flash Earth and whether you might want to share it.

Thejapster

What style of doors are you gonna use?
and what kinda drawer guides?

and one other question why did you go with the luon on the walls?

Everything is looking great!

ScottA

John the house doesn't show up on google earth. The satallite phots are old.

QuoteWhat style of doors are you gonna use?
Cabinet doors? Edge glued pine. Homemade.

Quotewhat kinda drawer guides?

Euro style medium duty. They are already installed.

Quoteand one other question why did you go with the luon on the walls?

My granfathers house had this type of panneling in the livingroom and I always loved it.

ScottA

John here's the google earth image of the area. The building site is in the center of the picture.

Redoverfarm

Scott I cannot bookmark Goggle to mine.  Each time I have to start over and locate it.  I do have it on Flash Earth.  They were more up to date than Goggle for this area.  You might give it a try.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.120383&lon=-79.95563&z=15.8&r=0&src=msa

ScottA

I checked it John. House is not in that one either. Be ok with me if it never is. Wishful thinking.

OlJarhead

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.120383&lon=-79.95563&z=15.8&r=0&src=msa

Let's hope they don't update these too often ;)

Were in this shot -- somewhere (not tellin') *chuckle*

ScottA

A couple of new pics.

Cabinet over toilet in the bathroom.

Bathroom window.

Thejapster

TexstarJim

Scott, are you planing the wood down before you make cabinets or simply using stock material?  Either way, sure is looking good my friend and I want to thank you for keeping this thread updated with new pics.  For some odd reason, I keep losing touch with this thread since it became a sticky.......sorry. :D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

ScottA

QuoteScott, are you planing the wood down before you make cabinets or simply using stock material?

Nope, just saw the boards and sand them. They are basic but look pretty nice.