Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben2go

Give Sassy our blessings.Good to hear she is doing good after surgery.

glenn kangiser

Thx Ben. They almost want to let her out tomorrow. She is still doing good and we think maybe the pain of the bad hip was more than the pain of the surgery.

We live in a Mediterranean climate. Hot and dry eight months of the year....rain and snow off and on for four months for the most part.  Cob dries well. 

Problems....making it a bit too wet could be one.. Not able  to build  too high or fast. Poke holes in the top for a grip and work on something else to let it dry a bit.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

Glad to hear Sassy is doing well

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

Thanks Ben and Windpower.  Sassy is doing great and getting ready for a day of physical therapy, friend and relative visits. I can now get out of Dodge and head back to the Underground Complex.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ben2go

I'll be thinking of her while I'm in physical therapy for neuropathy.I start next week.

I got an older salt of the earth doctor yesterday.He is a really straight shooter.He said to me,loose the 70lbs and eat food that you can find locally grown.Get off the crap from the supermarkets.My gastro doc laughed when I told him I grew up eating out of the garden and butchering our own meat.He said I was living on a cave man diet.I told him I didn't have stomach or weight problems then either.

I have family close by that owns a fresh market that is open during harvest season.I think I will see about some bartering.Unfortunately our season just ended about the first of November.

glenn kangiser

You can get Myfitnesspal for your computer or phone, Ben which will help you keep track of calories, nutrition and exercise.  I started using it about 2 months ago and have dropped about 20 lbs still eating anything I want.  It will work with any type of a diet also.  It has a database of over 1,000,000foods including brand names with nutrition info.   It will set your goals and calories from info you provide, then reset them as you lose weight. 

I was not aware that eating a handful of chips is 160 calories, but eating the whole bag is 3600.... I no longer eat the whole bag or half a box of Ice cream...  [cool]

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

glenn kangiser

Raining so I put on a rain coat and am working on repairing the roof over the porch with an EPDM pond liner.  I took out the plastic frog pond we had there and am putting railroad ties .... straw and mud as available to put a permanent frog there incorporating the pond liner.....

I strapped it all together with 3/4 wide steel lumber bands cut into foot or so long pieces, then just shot them down to the appropriate places with the nail gun and 2" galvanized ring shank nails....  [cool]   ..even if I do have to say so myself.... [waiting]

glenn kangiser

... and ... Update on Sassy... She is doing great today ...did a longer walk yesterday and even went up and down the test stairs twice she said.  She should be leaving the hospital today and going to her sisters for a while.  :)

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 01, 2012, 03:19:40 PM
... and ... Update on Sassy... She is doing great today ...did a longer walk yesterday and even went up and down the test stairs twice she said.  She should be leaving the hospital today and going to her sisters for a while.  :)

[cool]

Good to hear Glenn.I hope she gets through all this with minimal pain and healing time.

glenn kangiser

It is pretty amazing... she had no bruising from the operation.  The doc did minimum invasive with robotic assistance.  Precision and fast.  Sassy was surprised to see her foot pointing straight ahead instead of wandering off to the side as she walked.

Her pain from the operation still seems to be less than the pain from the bad hip so far.  That could change.... hard to say. :)

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 01, 2012, 11:05:04 PM
It is pretty amazing... she had no bruising from the operation.  The doc did minimum invasive with robotic assistance.  Precision and fast.  Sassy was surprised to see her foot pointing straight ahead instead of wandering off to the side as she walked.

Her pain from the operation still seems to be less than the pain from the bad hip so far.  That could change.... hard to say. :)

That's good to hear.If the pain is less after surgery,then PT should go faster and healing time should be faster as well.At least that's my understanding.It's good to hear she is doing well.Give her our best wishes.

glenn kangiser

Went down to the valley and had dinner with Sassy and the family today.  She is doing remarkably well.   [cool]

She can even walk across the room without the assistance of a cane or walker.  Not bad for having her leg disconnected and put back together on Thursday morning I would say.  It gives a whole new meaning to the old automotive mechanic term... Remove and Replace.  [waiting]

She is managing that with very little in the way of pain killers....still thinking the surgery was/is less painful that the worn out hip was.

ben2go

She looks like she's doing better.I hope the progress continues to get better.I know it's going to be rough having all these surgeries almost back to back.

glenn kangiser

Yes... lots of resting required too as things grow back together incorporating titanium joints into the bones now.  I got her a titanium bracelet to test her sensitivity to it a few months ago as she is allergic to some metals. She said it takes about a year or so for each surgery to pretty completely heal.

Checked the frog ponds on the roof last night.  The old one I moved near the greenhouse.  It is filled already from the runoff from the roof.  The new one over the porch is filling also.  Looking forward to the arrival of the spring peepers.  :)

glenn kangiser

Sassy says she's doing even better today.  She wanted to do the treadmill...called the doctor and they told her to calm down.  Yup - it's working... don't break it.  They told her the approved exercises were enough.  :) 

That girl is always trying to keep busy... can't sit still.... [waiting]

I ordered the Samsung Note 2 ... international version.  I have to keep up with the latest technology.  I ordered it from Amazon but they were out of stock on Prime so I ordered though one of their storefront merchants. 

The bad reviews didn't start coming in on him for a week or so.....  >:(

I had to wait 30 days to file an Amazon AtoZ guarantee claim.  It seems the merchant is a scammer.  He got the shipping tracking number from the USPO in advance  then got paid immediately from Amazon -

Seems he had no intent of delivering the goods as he closed his email about 2 weeks after I ordered. 

I reordered yesterday from Amazon Prime.  It will be here tomorrow.   [cool]

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-GT-N7100-unlocked/dp/B0099LATZ2/ref=pd_ybh_1

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 03, 2012, 09:00:31 PM
Sassy says she's doing even better today.  She wanted to do the treadmill...called the doctor and they told her to calm down.  Yup - it's working... don't break it.  They told her the approved exercises were enough.  :) 

That girl is always trying to keep busy... can't sit still.... [waiting]

Sassy. Remember what happened after your back surgery???

Do everything the therapists say to, but not an iota more.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I told her similar, Don.  Thanks.  :)

MountainDon

Tie her up if she talks back... is too "sassy"....    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

She says that the girl couldn't even believe she was asking.... struck her speechless.... then she explained to Sassy that her leg had just been removed a couple days earlier....and she should let it continue to heal up....  [ouch]

Yup ... she better not push it... no need to ruin all of that doc's handiwork.  :)

My tummy is full..... [hungry]

I have to quit watching these chefs on TV......

One showed about 6 ways to cook oysters the other day and being from the Oregon Coast, that was one of my favorite treats.  In the back of my mind I knew I had to have some...... [noidea'

I went into the store tonight to get some ingredients for my Avocado and Coconut Ice Cream and saw the little jars of oysters.........grabbed one and took it home....

I think I just ate the worlds best oysters and I cooked them myself...... yummmmm.

I had the Panko seasoned bread crumbs from my fishing trip.  I found a recipe that said to mix a half pint of milk and a few other things together - I had Heinz 57 steak sauce rather than Worcestershire, and Tajin Classico... maybe a teaspoon or so,  rather than Tabasco.  The lime in the Tajin fit perfectly.  An egg from our chickens went into the mix.  Tajin had the salt already....  Throw it in a bowl ...... Stir it with a whisk til it was frothy.... drain and dump in the oysters and let them soak for 20 minutes. 

Drag them out... dredge them in bread crumbs and fry them in a little hot oil in the bottom of a fry pan - about 4 minutes each side.  Don't overcook them.  I did all of that ....they browned perfect in the mix of coconut oil and butter..... I slid them out of the pan onto my finest china... squeezed a lime with my Mexican Lime squeezer and decided to eat two and save the rest... they were still hot in the pan....  :o

Dang it.... couldn't resist that wonderful citrusy oystery golden crisp flavor... ate the other three.... bummer... [waiting]

OHHHHhhhh man, was that good or what.... :)

ben2go

Sassy please slow down.

Glenn,STOP IT!   c* I am trying to loose weight not eat my through life.Now I am hungry.man that looks like some good grub.

glenn kangiser

Sorry 'bout that , Ben...... I am tempted by the things I see on TV... [ouch]

I must share my pain..... [waiting]

Some.. like Sassy do not like oysters, but.... these were the best I have ever eaten..... though in reality they were the same as other oysters I think... it was just the good recipe, my changes to it and the wonderful job of cooking them I think that made them so mouth wateringly delicious....

Think I may have to go buy more.... [rofl2]

waterbug

I think you made a great choice on the Galaxy Note. I have had the AT&T version since March and have really enjoyed it - the screen size is especially nice for reading email when I am away from the home PC. The only downside I have experienced is that due to its size it won't fit in some shirt pockets.

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 04, 2012, 11:56:12 AM
Sorry 'bout that , Ben...... I am tempted by the things I see on TV... [ouch]

I must share my pain..... [waiting]

Some.. like Sassy do not like oysters, but.... these were the best I have ever eaten..... though in reality they were the same as other oysters I think... it was just the good recipe, my changes to it and the wonderful job of cooking them I think that made them so mouth wateringly delicious....

Think I may have to go buy more.... [rofl2]

rofl [cool]

glenn kangiser

Waterbug, I have large pockets on my shirts so no problem but I have a belt pouch that fits it and a solar charger as well as my Bose earphones and a couple other things.  If carrying it around without the pouch I put it in my front pants pocket most often.

I have email notifications turned on which is handy for working on jobsites and needing to get info back and forth.  I scanned a paper yesterday and sent it email to my insurance company when their fax was out, using the CamScanner app.  So handy.

I have been using the Samsung Note 1 for about a year now and love it.  It has completely changed my job reporting ability being able to send photos via email and get complete blueprints on it in seconds.

The S-Pen allows notation also.  With the screen size on the note, I could never go back to the smaller phones such as the Galaxy S I started with. 

Impractical but the new note can stream two videos at once with the split screen - or a video and something else.  :) 

I confirmed tracking and it will be here this afternoon..... I can't wait.... [ouch]

Ben... I'm getting hungry again.... think I will have the Salisbury Steak I made yesterday... you know.. the one with the grilled onions... maybe some Elote.... and oh... the Asian Sweet Potato hash browns... sorry I gotta go cook now.... [waiting]

waterbug

Glen,

I also keep my email notifications turned on so that I am alerted to new emails during the course of the work day.

Thank you for the CamScanner app information. I have already downloaded the trial version. I do some delivery work and can use that app for transmitting Proof of Delivery copes back to my shippers via email.

Like you, I could never go back to a smaller phone.  I don't have a solar charger but I have an inverter built into the truck that I use for keeping the phone charged in the course of a long day.