Well/Pump question

Started by travcojim, May 23, 2006, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

travcojim

I have what might be a simple question.  I have purchased some property with a well in place, it is about 100 feet deep from what I am being told by the owners, they have not used the well in over 8 years, Is there anything I should do to the well/pump system before using it after all that time?  Also how far away from the well itself can you pump the water and still have good pressure.  The home site is about 125 feet from the actual well, is that too far of a distance to hope to have good pressure in the house?

glenn-k

It may not need anything, Jim, but you could probably pull a plug out of the well seal if it has one and pour a gallon or two of bleach down it.  Turn the pump on and let it run or recirculate it down the hole in the well seal until you smell chlorine coming out of the hose and or all fixtures.  Let it set overnight then flush the water lines out by running the pump until clean water is flowing out all fixtures and the hose.  Don't drink or use it untill all trace of chlorine smell is gone.  Don't put it down the pump discharge pressure pipe as it has check valves in it.  You want it to go down the space beside the discharge pipe inside the well casing to the water below.

To check pressure just let the pump run until it shuts off and see what the gauge shows - if it wwill build 20 lbs you'll have maral pressure. 30 to 50 is good normal pressure.  With a proper sized line and that pressure you won't have any trouble going 125'.  I go 600 feet on mine with a 2" line.

travcojim

Thanks for the info.  Looks like a project for the upcoming weekend.  

glenn-k

No problem.  My pleasure, Jim. :)