Wear a safety harness.

Started by Squirl, November 07, 2012, 10:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirl

Thank you all again for the tips and well wishes.  I checked the insurance.  60 visits of rehab per calendar year.

Rehab is going well and I have probably gained back half of the movement in my writs and I can open some bottles and jars again.  The downside it the pain in the right wrist means they will likely have to rebrake it.

containercabin

I am so sorry to read this. I hope you get well soon. This is such a scary story

rick91351

Squirl Myself as someone that has been busted up a lot - I can only imagine what you have gone through.  Get better and stay that way dang it!

Rick and Ellen
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

I'm sorry to hear they might need to rebreak one but arthritis is not your friend. If they can improve the alignment and are confident in that area healing well I'd go for it. It is an injury that requires the patience of Job. I finally learned to roll a kayak when they were pretty far along and I had fiberglass on both arms. Good news on the PT allowance, it had never occured to me to check the policy for that.

I was 19 when I took that spill. With the casts on during that period I had a misunderstanding over a traffic offense that required my overnight presence downtown. It was somewhat of a relief as a young man to have what I was sure were axe murderers give me wide berth. I'm sure they were thinking "Another young hot tempered barroom brawler  ::)"

One thing I did learn... ok most other folks would probably not get into the situation of breaking a cast, and then might think twice about home repair, but I was somewhat of a late bloomer. I mixed up fiberglass polyester resin with the hardener and wrapped some fiberglass cloth around the crack and then saturated the cloth with the resin. I'd be good as new in an hour. It would be hard to find a better front row seat from which to enjoy an exothermic chemical reaction   :D.

MountainDon

Quotefront row seat from which to enjoy an exothermic chemical reaction

nothing like science lessons first hand  ;D
hope that reaction ceased before further harm was done.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Nothing permanent, but it did seem like a fine night to go for a long drive with my arm out the window  :) The tiny sea shells packed inside in a couple of places kinda mystified the doc but those things were like a sufboard out in front of you

drainl

Wow Squirl!   :(  Just seeing this now.  Your thread had been quiet and I was wondering how your progress was going.  We're having a very mild winter here so far which might help your building site stay in good shape.  I hope your recovery is going well! 

cbc58

Very sorry to hear of your accident.  Wow...  things can turn in the blink of an eye.

Don_P

I was thinking about you this morning... mainly cause we haven't heard from you in awhile! But I remembered something, that might be too late to be of use. A pair of the largest shoulder length gloves from the farmers co-op makes showering a little more pleasant. I didn't think of that the first time and had everyone saving bread bags while I was in plaster, my wife suggested it when I broke one later and they are alot more handy. Hope you're getting better by the day, let us hear from you  :).

Squirl

Thank you.  I know I don't type responses as much.  I am getting better with typing, but with the sensation loss in one of my hands, I still avoid it a little more.  I am getting better quickly.  I have 90% of my range of motion back and I started strength training.  Surprisingly my strength training is playing with a hammer.  My physical therapist asked if I had one.  (I fell off a roof right  d*)

Thank you all for the concern.

Don_P

Yeah, but did you find the hammer  ;D
Good to hear things are progressing.

rick91351

Quote from: Don_P on January 15, 2013, 12:17:48 PM
Yeah, but did you find the hammer  ;D
Good to hear things are progressing.

Don he most likely slid it back in the loop of his tool belt on the way down.   ;D

Always put your tools away and besides might hurt landing on it.   ;)
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Squirl

Thank you all for all the prayers, well wishes, and advise.  I should have posted this a little earlier. At the end of last month I was cleared from rehab.  I got 100% of the normal range of motion in my left hand and 95% in my right.  That last 5% has been a little sticky, but I can get that on my own.  The therapist told me on the first day that I would be lucky if I could push open a door with my palm after a year.  It isn't the most pleasant sensation, but I can do it now.  When I could do some pushups, I was told there wasn't anything more they could do for me and the rest of the strength I would get back slowly on my own.  As some may have noticed, my typing has improved greatly in just the past few weeks.  I've lost most of the feeling from the ulnar nerve in my left hand, but I didn't play the guitar or the piano before, so no real loss.  I feel like I am ready to get back to work on my project and when the weather breaks, it is go time again. 

Again, thank you all for the support.

itpdk9

Congrats, and great to hear that you are almost all the way back.  I am sure you can't wait to get back at it.  Congrats again prayers and hard work go along way.  I am excited to see some pics of your build when your back at it.

scott

Alan Gage

archimedes

Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

Don_P

I'm glad to hear the mending has gone so well. I've been going round over whether to have the ulnar nerve reattached, same here, my sisters are the musicians and it's a great excuse not to do pushups  ;D. What I'm a bit embarrassed for not asking, is the house dry and secure, has it made it through this spell ok?

Squirl

I'm getting used to the numb sensation.  It most effects me when I am typing and I don't always know if I hit two keys or if I hit them hard enough.

The house is not dry and secure.  The question prompted me to update my build thread.  I went back in November to get my Jeep.  There are 1 and a half sheets of roofing still not on the back side of the roof.  The ridge cap is not on and the gable end sheathing is not in place.  When I went back in November, there was no damage and the interior was surprisingly dry.  I am not as worried about the interior.  I used advantech flooring and a good breeze blows through, which will hopefully help with evaporation.  I was also surprised, at the time, there was no damage to the tar paper.  I can't imagine that would be the case at the beginning of April.  I will chalk up whatever damage I find to my own carelessness in not wearing a safety harness in the first place.  I will just have to redo part of it.  I learn the hard way.