10x14 material list ?? from a first time builder

Started by ultrasensitive, May 16, 2006, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultrasensitive

Hi All:
I live in NC and several of the terms and numbers on the material list for 10x14 cabin need further description for me- some of the ab. do not translate here so I am told - I am pricing the materials to see if I have enough cash to build this baby- I am a disabled vet. on a fixed
income so $$$ are important to keep an eye on.  maybe I need to get better educated with framing terms yet it seems that some of the deminsions wre left off the list????

walls:

2x4 plate stock
2x6 header stock

1. Are these 2 items lumber and if so what length?

2. What does (LF) mean?

roof:

3. length of rafter stock for vent blocking?

4. roof sheathing 4x8x???? diameter

5. 1x8 fascia length?

6. how do i price this one - SF means what ?
roofing & underlayment 200 SF???

other items:

siding & housewrap         432SF
Interior walls                  377SF
interior ceiling - no loft    124 SF

How would i price these numbers

thanks to whom ever replys

cthedford

LF= linear foot,
SF = square feet

I know you will get more in depth answers, but just wanted to give some answers for now since I saw you just posted and might still be on here.

John_M

One square of roofing or siding material will cover 100 square feet.  So your roof requires 200 square feet of roofing you will need "two squares" of roofing material.

The fascia covers the ends of your rafters.  If you are going 10 x 14, I would assume you will need 28 feet of fascia board.

Your roof sheating can be 1/2 inch plywood.

2 x 4 and 2x6 plate and header stock is what you use to help frame your building.  Plate stock runs on the top and bottom of your wall studs and header stock is what you put in above windows to help distribute weight.
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Amanda_931

square feet in roofing is (probably obviously) the square feet on the roof.--the steeper the roof the more roofing material it takes.

Where it gets confusing is if you are also trying to catch most of your rainwater--there footprint of building plus roof overhang--is what counts, steepness doesn't count for much.  

Billy Bob

Ultra, in addition to the good advice already given, it helps to know that some of the materials are available in different sizes.  For instance sheetrock can be had in sheets four feet wide, but in lengths of eight, nine, twelve, even up to sixteen feet.  As you can see, the number of sheets required will vary depending on the size used.   If you use tongue and groove board panelling, that can be sold in packages of random length, but a certain number of square feet per unit.
Same thing with roof underlayment; different types come in different widths, and may have different overlap requirements depending on material and roof pitch.
Plate stock for the walls could be 2"x4"x8', though longer is better,(no butt joints = stronger) and ten and fourteen footers should be easy to get.  But that's why a plan's material list will give square and lineal foot dimensions rather than straight up "you need twenty 2"x4"x8's" for example, because you have these options to consider.

I hope that helps; I can remember wondering about some of this stuff.[smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

Good luck, and have fun with it!
Bill

John Raabe

Work with the local lumber yard to help see what they have available and can deliver to the site. In reality you need to add a certain percentage (10-15%) for "wastage".

All this work with the materials list will usually be thrown out when you start building as you never order it all at once anyway. If you work with a local supplier they can just take back what you don't use when they make the next delivery.

None of us are as smart as all of us.