30x40 Earth Berm Passive Solar in Maine

Started by Bishopknight, October 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bishopknight

I worked on shingling the house this past weekend.

If anyone knows where I can find cheap stick on window panes. I'd like to get some for the middle 3 windows so they also have a colonial look like the outer 4 in the front.

Jens

"If anyone knows where I can find cheap stick on window panes. I'd like to get some for the middle 3 windows so they also have a colonial look like the outer 4 in the front. "

white plastic and silicone.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

speedfunk

That looks freakin' sweet.  I love the cedar shakes, Deb and I were wondering how you were going to finish it ..... a bit of work to install but worth it.  Nice pics :)

Glad to see your making some real good progress.

pagan

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jens

Quote from: pagancelt on March 12, 2010, 01:11:41 PM
I have the same Ryobi cordless drill.
I recently upgraded to the Rigid cordless kit.  Hammer drill, impact, skilsaw, sawzall (with orbital action), and worklight (with CFL).  I gave my Ryobi stuff to my wife for Valentines day, and she's all over it.  It was a bit expensive, at $500, but oh so worth it.  Still, I used the Ryobi tools for about 7 years, and still recommend them, but the power difference in the Rigid is amazing.

Are those undercourse shingles BK?  Make sure to get a finish on them soon, because they curl and split pretty quickly if you don't.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

John Raabe

Nice work!

For the windows you might start with just adding the middle horizontal bars. That would tie the front together without getting too fussy.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

Some progress on the cedar shake shingling. I'm applying Cabot Cedar Naturaltone stain/protectant.

I built my first raised bed where my rock wall was. I put in some manure at the bottom and then filled it with topsoil collected from my land.

Been building a cedar round rail fence collected from my 10 acres. The poles avg 8-10" diameter and the rails, 4-5". I punch through with my chainsaw making a square , then I square the ends of the rails.

Lastly, I finished mudding and taping the office. Then painted it dark blue and finished the windows and put in 2" blinds along with a custom desk which I'm finishing with leftover wood vaneers from my fathers business.

Redoverfarm

[cool].  But I get dizzy enough looking at the screen and that countertop would really mess me up.

EcoHeliGuy

Your cuts on the fence posts are crazy, I'm surprised they are so clean.

Nice desk work

Bishopknight

Thanks,

We're starting to work on our garden now. We bought a can of garden seeds in 12/07 and just opened it because we figured the experience would be good and that seeds only last a few years. We were surprised with the quality of the package inside.
http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FG%20S200&name=Garden+Seeds&bhcd2=1270596900

They went nuts on the peas, 10 oz, and 5 oz on the corn and beans. The rest ranges from 5-10grams per packet in weight.

Having picked up a PH soil tester, some composted manure and limestone earlier, we put it to use this afternoon. We fixed the soil PH so it was about 6.5 with decent fertility.We have this book, Gardening in hard times http://www.amazon.com/Gardening-When-Counts-Growing-Mother/dp/086571553X and have been trying to follow it. This being our first year of serious gardening, we're going to try growing the hardier crops first like peas, radish, onion, spinach, cabbage and swiss chard and lettuce romaine first.

We're starting them inside for now, our soil meets the PH for all of them.

speedfunk

exciting your entering the gardening stage.  I'm right behind ya...wait up !  [cool] 

Look into permaculture principals for gardening.  there's a bunch of video's on you tube

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3162503821561656641#

There's one. 

Nice job on the desk too.. It looks awesome.  We have a similar idea using shale pieces to make designs.  We have some with a rose color, some blue, some grey.  they will look really cool in a mosiaic like you did . 

Thinks are looking great..

Dog

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Bishopknight

Thanks Dog and Speedfunk,

I'm checking out those videos. About the prior photos, actually, I tossed out that first iteration of soil and seed. It hardened up WAY too fast without soil aeration. I bought and mixed equal parts miracle grow garden soil and peat moss for the 2nd initial seedling starting, lol.

This one should go perfect because I felt around the soil consistency of all the pre-started vegetable plants at Lowes.

The next couple days are going to be nice so I'm going to try and get more raised beds built. Stay tuned!  ;D

Jeff922

I've been following your project - it's AWESOME!  I have a lot of appreciation for people who have the courage to use unconventional building techniques and ideas.  I know I experienced a lot of resistance from the local "good ol' boys" when I did my FPSF.  Good job!
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

Bishopknight

Thanks Jeff!

I got a bit of resistance as well but this has been a tremendous learning opportunity and I always wanted to build an energy efficient house. 

Last 2 days I've been working on the kitchen, and while this is just an 'in-progress' pic, it will give an idea of how painting the mismatching cabinets one color really brings them alive. Also, the 3 pendant lights are new as well. I have some crown molding I'm going to install also. Hopefully it looks good when I'm done.

This is how the cabinets looked before just a few months ago.

Also, This spring I've been landscaping the front yard. Here's what it looks like at the moment...

And this is what it looked like last fall... I've probably put about 60 hrs into it so far since then. ( My dad is chopping some wood for fun here )

325ABN

Way back on page two, you show a form box for your showers P-trap. I am wondering why/how is it ok to leave bare ground exposed like that. ??? ???

Thanks

Bishopknight

I later filled the box with some concrete I mixed up just as a precaution but in Rob Roys book, Earth Sheltered Homes, I don't recall him mentioning it has to be a sealed box as long as you are building on a well drained, frost proof foundation or pad.

Bishopknight

Been working on landscaping the front yard. Lots of blood, sweat and tears. Rocks tossed, top soil raked, roots pulled and cut, brush hauled, logs sorted and stumps removed. Only 1/2 way there. You can also see my all-cedar 2-rail fence near the street. I'm half way done with that also.

The grass I planted is coming in also.

MaineRhino

Very nice BK!  We drove by your place on Sunday on our return from camp, my wife likes the rails you made. We have been looking at land in that area.

Keep it up!   [cool]

Bishopknight

Thanks MaineRhino,

I know my neighbor is interested in selling more land to the kind of people who frequent this forum, including yourself. If anyone out there is interested, you can personal message me and I'll give you her info. Her prices are reasonable. I can attest to that.

Dog

Rockin' the yard! Coming along nicely.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

glenn kangiser

That's a cool fence and desk.

Looks like lots of other stuff in the works too.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Bishopknight

More landscaping progress. Trying to seal in the blue board now. I'm assuming a metal lathe with cement over it is the best option for sealing the blue board insulation.

I had water hitting the fascia board so I added a new row of shingles to the front so the drip edge is about 2" out now. Then I was able to paint it.

Raised bed is going well. Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower from store. Beans, Spring Mix, Spinach and Sunflowers from seed.