Is this a tall tale?

Started by hhbartlett, April 21, 2012, 09:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhbartlett

I'm sure some of you have come across this story before:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/how-to-build-a-cabin-zmaz77mazbon.aspx

The cost of the cabin is claimed to be $1000, well that was 1971. So let's adjust for inflation and generously say $10,000. OK, I'd buy that.

What gets me is the 5 day construction time. Sure, it wasn't one person, it was the whole family. And ya, they didn't insulate and stuff. But still, they didn't have air tools I don't think, and it seems pretty ambitious.

Is that whole story plausible?

Arky217

Quote from: hhbartlett on April 21, 2012, 09:42:35 AM
I'm sure some of you have come across this story before:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/how-to-build-a-cabin-zmaz77mazbon.aspx

The cost of the cabin is claimed to be $1000, well that was 1971. So let's adjust for inflation and generously say $10,000. OK, I'd buy that.

What gets me is the 5 day construction time. Sure, it wasn't one person, it was the whole family. And ya, they didn't insulate and stuff. But still, they didn't have air tools I don't think, and it seems pretty ambitious.

Is that whole story plausible?

I think it's plausible for 5 people using materials like plywood, etc.

I built a 12x16 log cabin 43 years ago in the Alaska interior with just a saw, ax, and hammer.

It took me more like 5 or 6 weeks rather than 5 days, but other than $50 for 50 ten foot boards that I canoed in from an old timey Canadian logging camp, it only cost me my labor.

Arky

hhbartlett

Quote from: Arky217 on April 21, 2012, 09:57:48 PM

I think it's plausible for 5 people using materials like plywood, etc.

I built a 12x16 log cabin 43 years ago in the Alaska interior with just a saw, ax, and hammer.

It took me more like 5 or 6 weeks rather than 5 days, but other than $50 for 50 ten foot boards that I canoed in from an old timey Canadian logging camp, it only cost me my labor.

Arky

Dick Proenneke, is that you?

Arky217

Quote from: hhbartlett on April 22, 2012, 07:49:55 AM
Dick Proenneke, is that you?

:)  Yeah, I saw his movie several times; it sure brings back memories.

I had quite an adventure when I built that cabin and lived up there.
Among other things, I fell through creek ice at below zero temp; saved myself by
bridging the hole with the piece of firewood that I was carrying.
Another time, I had to shoot a bear that was coming at me.
Seems like forever ago. Sometimes I wish I had stayed.

Arky

Squirl

Sort of.  It is like a 16x24 A frame.  Do a search on A-frames in the search feature.  There have been many discussions on them.  Eagle made a very beautiful one in Kentucky. 

One of their greatest advantages is speed.  It is like only  building a roof.  I believe the 5 day requirement is to finish to the dry in stage not the interior. 

Disadvantages include:
Harder to use square footage.
Higher cost per square foot.
Harder to insulate.
Less windows.

This would cost a lot less than 10K.  They have no bathroom, interior walls, electricity, kitchen, etc.  It took them a year to add heat.

jdp

I'm building a house that's 4000+ sq. ft. ( http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.html?pid=18141). It took 7 guys ten days to frame, tyvek, and roof. They had floor trusses and stick framed everything else on site including the roof. It was crazy. I wanted to get more pictures then what I did, but by the time I got there they would have so much more done. Now I'm waiting on all the other contractors. Ohh it was about 35-40 and 3 days of rain. Never slowed them down at all.