small cabin on skids?

Started by PixelPaul, July 27, 2007, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelPaul

What a great forum, I'm glad I found it! Here is my question:
I have some vacation property in NE Wisconsin and I would like to build a smaller cabin (approx. 12x18) to use short term (2-3 yrs.) until I have the necessary time, money, and skill to construct a larger cabin. I'm thinking of building it on skids using PT lumber (4x6?) with the idea that when it comes time to build something larger I could sell the smaller cabin and it could be moved to another site. I'm not sure how possible, if at all, it would be to move a cabin that size. Any thoughts?

Instead of having the skids sit on the ground, I was thinking about possibly putting them on dek-blocks to get the wood off the ground and eliminate some of the moisture/rot problem. I found some posts here regarding building on skids, and it seems like it is not the preffered method, but given the short time frame I would use the cabin and the desire for it to be mobile, might it be OK?

glenn kangiser

Should be doable and Johns Little House Plans cover it for an extremely cheap plan cost including details on the skid design.

Welcome to the forum. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Welcome!

Building on skids raises the question of how to insulate the floor, if that was in your plans.

If you are using ground contact rated PT wood for the skids you shouldn't need to worry about the moisture problem, especially if you used PT wood for the floor joists as well.

You may want to end up using this building as a storage shed after you build the larger cabin. Just a thought. As for selling and moving it to another more distant location that can be quite a job. But skidding it to another location on your own land could be done more easily.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tanya

Can these little house plans ( 12x18) be built in sections and then be transported to be assembled.  I live in one location now and I am spending almost all of my time here but once I get to my property I need something I can use right away I wont have weeks or even days to set something up.  I was thinking of having a storage shed dropped off and then just tune it up as I go, but if I could find plans where I cold get all the floor, walls, roof ready to assmeble then just truck it there I could do all the building here and then take a day or two there to assmeble it all.  Has anybody tried that yet?  
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

glenn kangiser

We've discussed it a few times.  Assembled sections get very heavy so you would need quite a crew.  We have pretty well decided that pre-cutting pieces, stacking - assembling with power tools would be about the best compromise.  Even at that it probably would not meet your time frame.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

FrankInWI

Hey There!  I'm in NE WI too, well, Shawano anyway.  I too am about to build something...an upgrade to the canvas rotting pop up.   I was going down the same route you were....shed on skids.  
I now think I am going to do what the county calls a "Fishing and Hunting Shelter" (FHS).  It's more than 480, but less than 960 and not for permanent residing, just intermittant use.  I am going this way cause I want to build it in a way that will later let me incorporate it into my house cause I will build it to code.  Only problem I suddenly notice is in the county regs it mentions the shelter in another section as having a "natural floor".  I bought John's 1 1/2 story, and I am considering doing the 2/3 not counting the bathroom and bedroom for now.  (no permanent plumbing allowed in FHS).  I'd go full height but not build the upstairs  loft yet (few girders, no floor).  Save time and money for now.  This will be on slab.

Earlier, for skids I was considering 6 X 8 or 8 X 8.  Some folks thought 4 X anything was too light.  I was just thinking of two long ones, and a couple cross pieces with cable and turn bolt pulling the two long ones together to tighten up the cross members.
Good Luck.... where about in NE?  We hunt/fish in Langlade to Crivitz.  
god helps those who help them selves

MarkAndDebbie

tanya

I never thought of the 4x panels but that looks pretty doable. I think I am going to try it.  My little cottage is going to be much smaller too so it should even be easier.  Plus Ihave a sturdy young teenager to help!!!  I only have his help until college starts though so it is time to get on the ball.  Yesterday we went tot he land and it is only the second time we have gone last time it was snowing so hard that you couldn't see two feet in front of your face but yesterday I actually saw the view and it is some view!!!  I have to change the plans now.  The solid walls are only going to be four feet high everything else to the ceiling will be windows you would have to be crazy to wall off that view.  It is s till to early for my planning mind to work though so I will get on to the redesign later.  I am going to use this panel idea though.  I can do the other idea, measure and cut for the posts, floors and roof and just bring those as bundles then have the little panels for the walls.  Maybe it is jsut a seed of an idea in a not awake brain for now.  still a good idea I think.
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

youngins

Hello,

Pls look at the discussion link: http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1161883724/0
note reply #19 by myself.

Also, if u pm me your email address- i can send u more pics cody sent me.

"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."