20' wide 2-story extended to 40' with loft

Started by John Raabe, January 28, 2008, 10:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

I got this intriguing note and pictures the other day from Spencer Jacobs who purchased the 2-story Universal Cottage plans back in Sept. of 2006....

"Round O SC, extended 20x40 2 bedroom...2 story w/ 3/4 loft,.....we brought the roof up on 2' knee walls in the front 3/4( up to the stairs)
and used 10' walls in the main bedroom w/ a vaulted ceiling. This allowed a 13' (at 6') x 26' loft. We used all 2x6 construction, all 5/8
plywood, 2x10 rafters, 16' lvls, and 16' commercial  trimits for the floor trusses. Siding is 1/2 hardi panels. The foundation is a 6" slab
on 30"x24" footers. The local inspector is calling it the fortress. I wanted to thank you for the plans and the ability to modify them.  We
are working on the interior now."

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Very nice.  Interesting...the special changes individuals come up with when they can modify and make plans their own.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

It looks like Spencer might have done the alcove pop-out that I've had in the plans for perhaps three years - finally someone tried it! (Look at the third picture down on the main floor.)

I like what he's done with the balcony and side porch.

(Added the next day) Spencer has sent some great new photos (I'm going to urge him to sign-up on the forum and post a few himself... :D) Here are a couple of teasers...

Not one, but two pop-outs! :D

Looks pretty sturdy to me.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

ScottA

For some reason Johns houses look more like real houses than most other houses I see.  [cool]

Corbin Jacobs

Spencer Jacobs here, thank you for the replies on my fortress as it is being called. I have really enjoyed the building process. I know it will make a great home for me and the kids. I wanted to post a few pics of the loft. For reference my little girl is almost 5'tall. (the color changing ghost hanging from the rafters was something my kid wanted to do,.. to keep the thief's away, we had a little problem w/ that and the copper house wire.) Also you can see the vaulted ceiling in the main bedroom w/ the exposed beams in the background.

MountainDon

Hey Spencer; looking great and  w* to the forum.

I like the exterior. Are the "timbers" 1x or 2x? What material are the panels?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Corbin Jacobs

The panels are 4x8 and 4x10 Hardi panels. A concrete fiber board w/ a mild stucco like texture. We used (all PT) 1x4s on the seams, 2x4s around the windows and doors and 2x6s in the corners.

Corbin Jacobs

Also,..besides for hardi being tough,...the insurance company's (at least the few I have talked to) will put it in the same rates as a brick or masonry home.  8)

germangirl

glenn kangiser

Haven't heard from them in a while.   I bet it's nice.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jamest

Hi Spencer,  and greetings from Afghanistan!  I'm stationed here (with the us army),  but live right down the road in Savannah, ga.  Matter o fact,  I drove thru Round O, two or 3 times a week whilst courting my beautiful wife (who lived in charleston).   A questions for you...Is the 2nd story framed like the 1 1/2 story?  it looks as if you have 'balloon framing' on the upstairs floor and loft area.   Great job!   James T 

cbc58

wow.. real plywood sheathing... don't see that much anymore.

have a question on your siding... are those 4x8 panels with lap boards over the joints?  if so.. how do you protect from moisture getting in on the vertical seams ?