Sheathing relative to sill and block

Started by old_guy, July 28, 2017, 01:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_guy

We are just starting our barn build on our Tennessee property.  After some interesting issues were dealt with we finally have the footings in the ground and are expecting the block stem walls to be done next week.  I am scrambling to finish the material list so that the first load of lumber can get delivered soon after the block is done.

The top of the 8" block walls will be about 16" above grade, so the framing should be safely above the splash zone.  When discussing the framing and sheathing (7/16 OSB is planned) relative to the blocks I get as many opinions as there are responders.  It seemed appropriate to get some more input from all of you.

I had planned for a 2x8 treated sill plate to sit on a layer of sill sealer and be flush with the outside of the block, tweaked only as needed to square things up, and to have the framing flush with the outside of the sill plate.  I planned for the sheathing to extend down past the bottom of the sill plate by an inch or so, overlapping the top of the block.

Feedback so far has been:
1) pull framing in 1/2" from outside of sill, so sheathing butts up to sill flush with outside, or
2) frame as planned, but terminate bottom of sheathing at bottom of sill, or
3) frame as described, but terminate bottom of sheathing at top of sill/bottom of sole, or
4) proceed as planned.
What do you think?
Why?

I also received differing opinions on connecting the sheathing to the sill plate.  Some say yes, as it ties everything together, some say no, nail only to sole plate.  I expected to nail to sole and sill.
Again, what do you think, and why?

I will get back to the job site in another week or 2, and will hopefully be able to start a project post at that time (or as soon as I figure out this post-photobucket thing).

Thanks.

John

Don_P

Easy one first, nail the sheathing to the sill to tie the bolted down sill to the rest of the structure... toenails fail in a wind event.

I generally sill to the outside of the block and sheath to the bottom of the sill. I've seen guys go over and have done so and have seen guys flush the sheathing to the block and hang the siding down over the gap. As long as the weather resistive layer laps over the block joint it doesn't really matter, just make sure you kick the water out.

old_guy

Thank you, Don.  Always good to learn from someone with experience.

Block will probably not get done this week, so 1 more week before framing begins.

icanreachit

hey old_guy, not to hijack but one additional option that I'd been planning to do:

Run z drip channel (the 90 degree bend and the flare out) as shown in the image below, just with the lumber at the edge of the slab. This is to protect the bottom of the OSB and foam (if you're running foam).