Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

buy a gallon. that's easy to say.  :)   but difficult to find unless it one of those cheap brands that look like chocolate but taste brown.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ben2go

Thank you all.I think I will start making some changes.I have been on a better diet.Surely far from the best.I've gotten off the deep fried food and greasy foods.Now all my foods are baked.I still eat processed food.I think that'll be the hardest craving to break besides soda and sweet tea.

Glenn,part of my reason for asking about gardening advice is so I can get off the processed food train.

Sassy,thanks for the vids.I have them added to my favs and I will watch them in the morning when I have some alone time.

I haven't had a full allergy work up.I have had all the blood tests for different allergies that are food related and I had the celiac disease test.I do know that I have a sensitivity to processed dairy.Forget yogurt.It make me sick at my stomach.I haven't found gluten to be a problem.I was on a gluten free diet a few years back and still have the same symptoms that put me out of work.Excersise is hard for me.I need to do something.I have 3 compressed disc in  my back and I blew out my left knee and ankle years ago.Oh Sassy,I had a bad experience with Ciproflo and now I have neuropathy in my legs,feet,hands,and lower arms.This is something that happened recently.Can you give me some guidance on that?I have done some studying on it,but it's all so confusing to me.It's been a few months since I took the 14 day "treatment" and the neuropathy has subsided a little.It's still a little unnerving because it seems to come and go randomly.

glenn kangiser

Hey Ben, here is an app that I use to lose weight.  Available on Android and other smartphones as well as here on the web.  Syncs automatically. It makes you think before you eat the whole bag of potato chips instead of a handful, or worse... a bag of cookies instead of 1, 2 or 3.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

You can enter your info and it will tailor and adjust your calories and desired exercise level - even none... It gives you nutritional information and a daily or weekly summary as well as tracking weight and exercise etc. Most common exercise is under cardiovascular.  I have lost nearly 20 lbs in about 2 months and still eat anything I want such as two bowls of chocolate ice cream today... [waiting]

It projects your weight in 5 weeks when you close out the day.

It has over 1 million foods - name brands and nutrition info so keeping track is easy or you can easily find similar. 

The Braggs Organic unfiltered raw vinegar or similar (not distilled - Heinz - dead vinegars etc - see Bragg website for information) vinegar and flavored Stevia drops make 0 calorie drinks that taste great. (Years ago known as Acids or Acid Drinks).  Add a tablespoon of Honey for Braggs ACV/Honey health drink that is good for you unlike sodas and any high fructose drinks. Never ever drink US low calorie drinks using Aspartame, Splenda, Sucralose - others.  They are poison.  Stevia drops are herbal and safe and economical considering the small quantity used.  A two oz. bottle sweetens about 280 to 300 8 oz. drinks.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Are you getting enough B1,B6,B12, Vit E & niacin in your diet?  Peripheral neuropathy can get worse, especially if you are low on Vit B12 but the others also are important.  How much you improve can depend on how severe the damage is, whether your blood sugar is controlled (ie diabetes), how long you have had it - lots of variables. 

I've taken care of a lot of patients who had peripheral neuropathy (most cases they were diabetic) and its no fun to have that type of pain/burning/numbness. 

The more weight you lose, the better your diet - the best way to get nutrients is through food (although with all the chemicals & depleted soil they can be harder to get). 

I applaud you that you are trying to change your diet & lose weight - not easy, but doable. 

My back is pretty messed up - herniated discs from my neck down & other problems - that was one of the reasons I had surgery on my lower back - herniated discs at L1 & 2 & a slipped disc - compressing my sciatic nerve - had been worsening for years - finally couldn't take it anymore, besides, the longer the compression continued, the less likely anything would resolve the pain.  I felt great after the surgery but the next day I was up cleaning, bending over, up & down stairs, carrying on like I hadn't just had a 3 hr back surgery & reinjured it.  Then fell off a step stool a couple wks later onto my back on a tile floor...  so, before I didn't have back pain, just the sciatica, now I have back pain & sciatica  d*  Not too smart  :D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Also, per Braggs ACV Book - downloadable for $5 - L-Carnitine (I prefer Acetyl-L-Carnitine for clearer thinking), will make you burn off stored fat and picks up your energy safely.  I can actually feel the difference in my muscles... and Chromium Picolinate 500mg (Bragg recommends it morning and night, but studying makes me think morning only is best - don't want to build up too much) also helps with the fat burning.

Acetyl L-Carnitine.. I take a couple in the morning and every few hours throughout the day when I think about it.

This is just what is working for me. Your results may vary ... I'm not a doctor... they scare me.... [scared]

Swanson is the cheapest online that we have found for these supplements.  http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Swanson has some Stevia flavors cheap.  Amazon has the Cinnamon at a bit higher price.  Sprouts and Whole Foods also have some.  Whole Foods carries the Bragg ACV.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Don't believe I mentioned .. or didn't post a picture of our new smoker.  [noidea'

Food is so good in it that I have pretty well switched from barbecuing to smoke cooking it.... [bbq]

Steaks and roasts so good that they taste like candy.... [waiting]

It works great with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning.  [hungry]

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 08, 2012, 12:00:55 AM
Hey Ben, here is an app that I use to lose weight.  Available on Android and other smartphones as well as here on the web.  Syncs automatically. It makes you think before you eat the whole bag of potato chips instead of a handful, or worse... a bag of cookies instead of 1, 2 or 3.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

You can enter your info and it will tailor and adjust your calories and desired exercise level - even none... It gives you nutritional information and a daily or weekly summary as well as tracking weight and exercise etc. Most common exercise is under cardiovascular.  I have lost nearly 20 lbs in about 2 months and still eat anything I want such as two bowls of chocolate ice cream today... [waiting]

It projects your weight in 5 weeks when you close out the day.

It has over 1 million foods - name brands and nutrition info so keeping track is easy or you can easily find similar. 

The Braggs Organic unfiltered raw vinegar or similar (not distilled - Heinz - dead vinegars etc - see Bragg website for information) vinegar and flavored Stevia drops make 0 calorie drinks that taste great. (Years ago known as Acids or Acid Drinks).  Add a tablespoon of Honey for Braggs ACV/Honey health drink that is good for you unlike sodas and any high fructose drinks. Never ever drink US low calorie drinks using Aspartame, Splenda, Sucralose - others.  They are poison.  Stevia drops are herbal and safe and economical considering the small quantity used.  A two oz. bottle sweetens about 280 to 300 8 oz. drinks.

I have been looking at the Braggs site.I'm thinking I will go for it soon.

I wish I had an Android based phone.I gotta basic phone with text messaging.That will change after the first of the year when our contract is up.

Quote from: Sassy on November 08, 2012, 12:07:10 AM
Are you getting enough B1,B6,B12, Vit E & niacin in your diet?  Peripheral neuropathy can get worse, especially if you are low on Vit B12 but the others also are important.  How much you improve can depend on how severe the damage is, whether your blood sugar is controlled (ie diabetes), how long you have had it - lots of variables. 

I've taken care of a lot of patients who had peripheral neuropathy (most cases they were diabetic) and its no fun to have that type of pain/burning/numbness. 

The more weight you lose, the better your diet - the best way to get nutrients is through food (although with all the chemicals & depleted soil they can be harder to get). 

I applaud you that you are trying to change your diet & lose weight - not easy, but doable. 

My back is pretty messed up - herniated discs from my neck down & other problems - that was one of the reasons I had surgery on my lower back - herniated discs at L1 & 2 & a slipped disc - compressing my sciatic nerve - had been worsening for years - finally couldn't take it anymore, besides, the longer the compression continued, the less likely anything would resolve the pain.  I felt great after the surgery but the next day I was up cleaning, bending over, up & down stairs, carrying on like I hadn't just had a 3 hr back surgery & reinjured it.  Then fell off a step stool a couple wks later onto my back on a tile floor...  so, before I didn't have back pain, just the sciatica, now I have back pain & sciatica  d*  Not too smart  :D

Honestly I have no clue what my vitamin levels are like.I will research what I eat and see if I am getting any of the vitamins you mentioned.I could see making a diet change or adding the proper foods to get those in me.I'm not diabetic.It is a concern as nearly every person in my family is and few in my family have weight problems like I do.My father lost both his kidneys and pancreas to diabetes.He was on peritoneal dialysis at home.Diabetes caused him to have several heart attacks.The last one took his life.he was a mere 32 years old and I was 9 years old.

Thanks for sharing with me Sassy.I hope you can get yourself taken care of.I'm pushing to get back into good health.I've suffered to long at a young age.

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 08, 2012, 12:28:57 AM
Also, per Braggs ACV Book - downloadable for $5 - L-Carnitine (I prefer Acetyl-L-Carnitine for clearer thinking), will make you burn off stored fat and picks up your energy safely.  I can actually feel the difference in my muscles... and Chromium Picolinate 500mg (Bragg recommends it morning and night, but studying makes me think morning only is best - don't want to build up too much) also helps with the fat burning.

Acetyl L-Carnitine.. I take a couple in the morning and every few hours throughout the day when I think about it.

This is just what is working for me. Your results may vary ... I'm not a doctor... they scare me.... [scared]

Swanson is the cheapest online that we have found for these supplements.  http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Swanson has some Stevia flavors cheap.  Amazon has the Cinnamon at a bit higher price.  Sprouts and Whole Foods also have some.  Whole Foods carries the Bragg ACV.

Thanks.I'm on info overload.I'll go through all the info provide and make a game plan and see where it takes me.I know I'm going broke quickly paying out nearly $600 a month for meds.That could go along way to getting into a better diet.

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 08, 2012, 12:56:06 AM
Don't believe I mentioned .. or didn't post a picture of our new smoker.  [noidea'

Food is so good in it that I have pretty well switched from barbecuing to smoke cooking it.... [bbq]

Steaks and roasts so good that they taste like candy.... [waiting]

It works great with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning.  [hungry]

[hungry] I wonder what a round trip ticket would cost to Mariposa?  [cool]

glenn kangiser

Not sure on the cost of the ticket, Ben, but if you do make it out here I can promise I will fire up the smoker.  [hungry]

ben2go

[cool]

I just watched those vids,GMO and the one about they guy doing the 30 day mac attack.GMO,I am shocked that our government hasn't addressed this to cut down on sick care costs.It makes me not want to go back into a grocery store again.My families fresh market is now defunct for the winter.I should have stocked up on local grown produce.Sad thing is,that produce is probably laden with it also.It's time to find a quality seed bank for the garden.

I never been a fast food junkie.I do admit there have been times through out my adult life that I frequented such establishments.If I had only known,I'd went to the GMO laden grocery store for seemingly better foods.

That's a lot of info to taken in and a lot to avoid.It makes me never want to eat or drink again.I drink other stuff to avoid drinking our chloramine laced city water.Our well water has been contaminated by all the septic systems around the area.I really need that rural 40 acres to live a better life. :-\

glenn kangiser

For quality non-GMO seeds, we buy from Baker Creek Seeds, Ben.

Their site is www.rareseeds.com.  The also have a very cool catalogue.... (I know but that's the old way and I like to spell it that way)... [waiting]

I find I get about twice the seed there for about half the price and never a problem with germination.....except for the Quail. [ouch]

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on November 08, 2012, 02:59:46 PM
For quality non-GMO seeds, we buy from Baker Creek Seeds, Ben.

Their site is www.rareseeds.com.  The also have a very cool catalogue.... (I know but that's the old way and I like to spell it that way)... [waiting]

I find I get about twice the seed there for about half the price and never a problem with germination.....except for the Quail. [ouch]

Thanks Glenn.

Sassy

Sorry to overload you so badly, Ben & so sorry about your dad...  diabetes is such a devastating disease.  Don't panic...  even w/all the stuff I know about, I still have my falls from grace  d*  If you would ask some, we shouldn't even be eating meat, especially smoked.  Probably the best plan would be to not eat the poor choices of foods on a regular basis - ya gotta splurge once in awhile  c*  Just eat more of the good foods.

Yeah, its hard to get decent veggies/foods w/out paying a premium price.

You're headed in the right direction - so much to learn about  :)

ben2go

Quote from: Sassy on November 08, 2012, 08:35:49 PM
Sorry to overload you so badly, Ben & so sorry about your dad...  diabetes is such a devastating disease.  Don't panic...  even w/all the stuff I know about, I still have my falls from grace  d*  If you would ask some, we shouldn't even be eating meat, especially smoked.  Probably the best plan would be to not eat the poor choices of foods on a regular basis - ya gotta splurge once in awhile  c*  Just eat more of the good foods.

Yeah, its hard to get decent veggies/foods w/out paying a premium price.

You're headed in the right direction - so much to learn about  :)

Thanks for all the help.

Sassy

You are more than welcome!  Hopefully we didn't overload you too bad  ;D

ben2go

Quote from: Sassy on November 08, 2012, 11:48:37 PM
You are more than welcome!  Hopefully we didn't overload you too bad  ;D

I think I'll be alright.I gotta do some research and sorting it all out.I been studying about EM Glenn raves about on his other thread and here. ;) I'll do a little each day and make notes.Spring is a little while away.I hope to be ready by then.Then grow grow grow. [cool]

glenn kangiser

Today I set up a senior friend - more senior than me, with a computer and printer.  Last week he asked if I could help him with learning the computer when he could afford one. [cool]

I decided that since he was 83 years old and expressed an interest in learning computing and the internet that now was a better time than later, so I bought him one, set it up to be easy as possible to use then Sassy and I spent the day with him and his wife teaching them how to use it.

I also went to the phone company early this week with him and walked him through getting an internet DSL account set up.

I had him get a wireless modem, then I got him a Brother Wireless printer, copier, scanner as well as a Win7 Lenovo laptop with Intel i3 core and 500 GB hard drive.  Printers and ink cartridges are super cheap for Brother with their four cartridge system and aftermarket ink available... such as 12 cartridges for $10 at Amazon. Windows 8 is a disaster program set up for touch screen computers and a nightmare for people who have tried it in most cases, so I walked out of Costco who had only Win8 computers and tracked down a Win7 at OfficeMax.  I think Win8 may be Microsoft's next flop..except for their coming tablet using it.

Who wants to sit flailing away at the screen of your laptop with your greasy steak and ice cream covered fingers if touch screen laptops were even widely available at a reasonable price?  .... [noidea'

He often hosts students as we have done and they will enjoy the internet connectivity also. :o

During the summer he grows a non-profit garden for his neighbors at minimal cost to them just so the ones living on a tight budget can afford good nutrition for their families.

He asked me if he could make payments to me for it..... No, I said.... It's already paid for.

He does so much good for his fellow man I felt the least I could do was enhance his ability to research and study a little on my nickel.

Just a bit of payback for the seniors who have shared knowledge with me in the past.  I told him he could just do something nice for someone else (or continue as he is in that case).... It was my pleasure. 

One of those random acts of kindness they are so hot on in Angel's Camp up the road a ways... maybe we can all follow their examples a bit in whatever way we can afford, eh?  :)

glenn kangiser

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....

The last two small rains we have had have started the grass growing reasonably early. That is good as I won't have to feed the cows as long. [ouch]

This morning it snowed a little which is even better as it will provide a bit of drip irrigation to the heavy clay soil we have rather than just running off.  That should give the grass a real boost.  It's bad if it gets started then doesn't get sufficient moisture to keep going however it looks like we have a good beginning.

Feed me... FEEED MEee...... Bossy is well named as she is the one who MOOoooooos the loudest for food.. very demanding lady there.... [waiting]

They are good cows though .. except little Bulljangles... he was being a little monster... a ghost cow able to walk right through my flimsy barbed wire fences....... until Wednesday afternoon.  Got the hot wire stuck up at his level around the corral area and watched his training begin.  Funny... haven't had a jailbreak for a couple days now. He just kind of stands in the middle far away from the fence.  The wet ground will intensify the reprimands a hundredfold from what he got the first night..... [shocked]

glenn kangiser

OH yeah... forgot to mention... yesterday I ate steak, quesadillas, salad, about 5 brownies and 2 bowls of Ice Cream... chocolate... and lost another pound. I don't mind this diet at all. Lost 20 lbs in the last 7 weeks.

Really I haven't changed what I eat.... just keep track on http://www.myfitnesspal.com or my Android App for it, and eat a handful of potato chips or cookies instead of the whole bag.  I am sure the Acetyl L-Carnitine throughout the day  helps and usually I try to remember one 500mg Chromium Picolinate in the morning.  I also drink the Bragg Vinegar and Honey health drink a couple times a day and replaced all sugar filled drinks with no calorie vinegar and flavored stevia for a full flavored beverage.  Remember that artificial sweeteners used in soft drinks , except stevia are dangerous poisons in most cases.  Look up side effects of each artificial sweetener for more info.  I looked into it more as I started getting migraines from Splenda.  Oh... you are drinking Aspartame... hey nice tumor..... [ouch]

Watch for renamed artificial sweeteners to fool you and .... high fructose corn syrup made from GMO corn.... no good... oh looks like you just sprouted an new appendage....  [cool]

I track exercise and foods on the app easily and it coaches me on what I should eat as well as readjusts the diet as it tracks weight loss.  Cool what a difference an Android can make ... (or a PC).  Some day I may not remain a typical overweight American, eh? 

:)

Windpower

Glenn,  I hope you didn't throw out the Splenda

It makes a great ant poison --- pour a little on an ant hill -- it might take a couple applications though one dose usually does it

yep, chlorinated hydrocarbons like Splenda are great pesticides

BTW Chlorinated hydrocarbons are, as a class of compounds, among the most poisonous and cancer causing chemicals

They take sugar and synthesize Splenda by replacing most of the OH groups with Chlorine. About 15% of Splenda is retained in the body (permanently?)  probably in the liver and lipid cells  -- nice

But it really works great on ants.
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

glenn kangiser

The first time I noticed the Splenda problem was when I accidentally bought lite Ice Cream, Windpower.

I got a migraine headache.  I never do that.  Second time I ate it I got another one.  I then looked it up online and sure enough that was one of the symptoms of the poison, Splenda.  I threw it out and would not even feed it to my dogs once AI realized what the problem was.

I recall you mentioning it once before but I thought... what could a little hurt.... just had myself a medium serving -- not a large one.  [noidea'

Now I tell everyone of the food tampering allowed to take place by our government.... who's elite profit and do not care....  Aspartame and Splenda are poison.  Thanks for the heads up, Windpower.  At least it made me check into it further.  [ouch]

Aspartame was railroaded through past existing testing and governent safeguards by Donald Rumsfeld when he served in other capacities besides his infamous Iraq War Crimes stint.

glenn kangiser

While we are on it... just go this info on Aspartame.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/11/aspartame-dangers.aspx?e_cid=20121111_SNL_Art_1

....and

...a head of broccoli in the garden that is over 12 inches across now.... [hungry]

glenn kangiser

Took off for a hike yesterday after doing a few chores, getting in a bit of wood, digging in the garden etc.

Several years ago my Native American friend, Ben told me of an old Barium mine with a cable tramway near Yosemite Park.  Recently I have been looking up more info for places to hike with historical significance and spotted it on my topo on my phone.  I got the GPS coordinates for it and entered them into Google Navigate and Trimble Navigator on my Android and I was set to go.  Navigation there was flawless and soon I was parked near the entrance to Pidgeon Gulch about a half hour from home.  [cool]

This is a little known destination and from trash there, trail wear etc, I doubt that more than a couple people every several years visit this place.

Travel up the water slicked floor of the gulch was not bad for brush, but soon I found myself laying down flat on my back on the rocks looking up at the sky and thinking..... "I guess these hiking shoes need something to grip before they actually can grip something... "... yeah ..that is what I thought alright... [waiting]

A little farther up the gulch and I started seeing cables which told me I was on the right track and also lent assistance in getting up the extremely steep mountain in places.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

Picked the Broccoli from the garden this morning - it measured about 12" x13".... Broccoli with cheese sauce coming up today I think....yum....  [hungry]

glenn kangiser

I started finding some cool stuff on the way up to the mine...

a tramway guide wheel...

and ....

a tramway ore bucket stuck up in a tree.... I don't know when the tram bucket went down but the Barium Mine was one of the last Yosemite Valley Railway customers so sometime around 1944 or 45 they had to cease shipping operations when the railroad was halted.

Who'da thunk..... [waiting]

ben2go

Amazing how the earth reclaims what belongs to it.  [cool]

glenn kangiser

Yes.. doesn't take all that long, Ben. 

Found a bit of info on it here.   :)

www.nps.gov/yose/.../El-Portal-HRS-2011-final-lo-res.pdf