Rafters

Started by Todd, February 05, 2005, 01:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

On a 14ft wide cabin can a good huricane clip be used instead of birdsmouth cut to attach the rafters to the top plate?  

JeffnTN

Of course.    A horse is of hourse of course....   Yes

;D
ha ha.. i don`t care it is my birthday...  but if i were you i would just make the bird`s  mouth cut...  cheaper, faster, just as good

Kevin

I used both. better safe than sorry.
Kevin

Ryan B

A few ideas on your clip question.
Common clips that you mention are made to resist uplift only. You can easily bend one with your hands.
Simpson and I am sure a few others do make a variable pitch rafter to plate connector that they would gladly sell you.
Seems like a waste of money and time if only toenails are needed.
Birds mouth cuts distribute the load – see simple sketch – and prevent localized siding failure is the load on the roof increases.
I have often seen this damage on "nonbearing" interior walls.
If you are having a problem visualizing and measuring this cut, draw a full scale diagram on your floor. I've often done this, it is especially helpful on odd pitched roofs.
Also you can set the rafters on the plate edge and use a beveled style of shim for this connection.
I have set rafters on the plate edge and just toe-nailed but it was in cases that the small span or the scope of the building (Moms bird house) warranted this style of connection.

Of course if your location warrants hurricane clips it's probably best to make the seat cut and use the clips for wind up lift. Just remember the clip load path has to go to your foundation or it does no good to install them.

Hope this helps.
Ryan B

The ability to resist deformation in a birdsmouth style of seat cut for Doug Fir is about 650psi.
A 1.5 inch "seat" will easily support over 1400lbs.