25x30 Shed roofed single story

Started by John Raabe, February 10, 2008, 03:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

This note from Dwight Horan:

"Here is my cabin I've been building for the past few summers in NH. Your forum has been invaluable to me in it's construction for tips and techniques. Thank you for your effort. I would be more than happy to talk with others about it."

(from John: I was finally able to upload this image from the hotel room in Jerusalem. Things are a bit slow...)

None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

That's a neat looking place.  I remember we discussed this concept a couple times.  Hope you are enjoying your trip.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

travcojim

Great looking place, that is almost what I have drawn up in hopes to build but my stumbling block has been what plans to use to modify to acheive it.  I had thought of the Little House plans and building two together, there is a thread buried somewhere on doing that I believe, Any suggestions?

glenn kangiser

I think we talked about that before.  Should work fine -- stagger opposing shed roofs as above with a common support wall in the middle and headers over openings as necessary in the center wall since it will be bearing.  At least that's what I would consider doing.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

travcojim

Using support headers what would be the largest opening you could do in the center wall?  I am curious if you could open up a large enough area to have aflow thru from the kitchen to the living area, or would you need to keep the openings door width?

Willy

Quote from: travcojim on February 10, 2008, 05:44:05 PM
Using support headers what would be the largest opening you could do in the center wall?  I am curious if you could open up a large enough area to have aflow thru from the kitchen to the living area, or would you need to keep the openings door width?
Basicly as large as you want. The header/beam would support the ceiling. If you go to wide you may need a support under the post holding up the beam so as not to put to much weight on the floor below in one spot. Mark

watatic

The  inside wall attached to the porch has 3  6ft by 6ft picture windows in it. I went with 12" on center for the 2x8 roof rafters to get a maximum span inside of about 16 ft so the interior is all open for now.

travcojim

Sounds great,  you have any interior pics?  May I ask if you based it off of any certin plans?

dmlsr

where in NH are you building??? im in Weare / Manchester
Do you have any more pic's???

This cabin is being built in memory of my father Robert and my granfather Henry.

Thank you for looking
Dave

John Raabe

I have done a PDF printout and a 3DHA model based on this house. There has been so much interest in shed roofed designs recently that I thought this may provide you with some design ideas. Note, this is not the same house as above. It is different dimensions and the Dwight Horan project was the initial inspiration.

Download the PDF file. Click and you will probably be able to open it directly (patience).

NM_Shooter

John, I think this is a winner.  I need to re-open the pdf and see if there were dimensions in there. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

John Raabe

I have done some more work on this today and the download file at PlanHelp now has a three page PDF with suggestions for roof framing and an outline post & pier foundation (will need to be modified for local loads). The PDF file in the CP download is the first page of this. It has the floorplan at 1/8" scale but without the roof framing information.

PlanHelp members will be able to download this file.

glenn kangiser

That's a cool project, John.  I remember we touched on it in discussion quite a while back.  Lots of possibilities.

John Raabe

I'm having fun seeing how far I can go with 3DHA in producing real blueprint construction drawings. Nobody would claim this little program can make permit ready drawings but using tricks with the text tools and a bit of messing around with a PDF editor (PagePlus 11) I am able to add enough information on structure that an experienced builder could figure it out.

Here's a larger 2 page download of the file with a scaled floor plan and a cross section sketch at 1/8" scale. This takes more time than the single page link above.

Two Page Study Plan

riverwolf

I have been searching for a house plan that speaks to me. I ordered the whole enchilada plans. then I came upon this house. I just bought 2.77 acres in Bradford county,pa. I may be completely insane. but I plan on doing most of the work myself. this will include drilling the well and using solar,off grid and a greywater recovery system, composting toilet, and no septic system. 

so any and all advice and comments on your building expereince would be great. this is the first time I am taking a raw piece of property and turning it into a home place for me.

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum...we do all of that and will help where we can.  Sounds like a great plan.  I'm headed out to try to repair a well right now as a matter of fact.

riverwolf

thank you for the welcome.  The more I look at this house, the more I know its the house to build.  I plan on building this to code and even some over building. I want as little problems as possible with the building inspector.the winters are very cold in the northern tier of PA. so I plan on building a pier and beam foundation.  I am doing  40 " below grade footings and 24 " above grade to give me some dry storage. what would you be your choice in size for the beam. I am thinking 2x12's for the subfloor frame.
I am going to use 2x6 for the walls to allow for R-21 insulation in the walls. I can get the floor up to about R-40 using blue board and R-30 batts. 

this is the first house I have built. i do come into this with 30 years of construction experience. I am an insulation contractor and a repair jack of all trades.
so help away  LOL
Jason

Squirl

Riverwolf.  I didn't want to go off topic of the shed story house that was built.  If you start another thread, I will be happy to elaborate more.  I can see you running into problems with the PA code if you want to do everything yourself and want to get a certificate of occupancy.  As of this year the law was changed on drilling a well.  To get a certificate of occupancy the well must be drilled by a certified well driller.  This year the law changed in PA, NY and VA.  I looked this up before I went to purchase land.  Since their was no difference in the laws, in the end it did not make a difference which state I purchased in.  You might be able to bypass all of the certificate of occupancy laws under the provision for Camps.  But you can never move in, or be issued a mailing address, and must maintain a seperate mailing address.  Also you need to get approval for the compost/greywater system in PA, which I was told is getting harder.  Another forum to check out for more info of people who built secondary hunting camps in that area is at huntingpa.com.  You will run into a few barriers to doing everything yourself.  Remember, people want to protect their jobs, so they petition the government to pass laws to not let anyone else do them.   You would have run into these everywhere though. 
Good luck.

riverwolf

I'm sorry. i thought decussing how to build the house was on topic. but thanks. i am smart enough to figure out how to build it from what I have.

glenn kangiser

Actually it is on topic and things related to it are close enough to topic.  When and if something gets so far from topic that it is not related to the original topic, I can break it off and start another topic, but that doesn't happen often and we have search engines that will most of the time locate information that veers one way or the other from the topic.

Please carry on as you were. :)

John Raabe

Note that there is a post and pier foundation plan in the PDF document that can be downloaded from PlanHelp. The floor joists are called out but the beams and pier sizes have not been sized as you will need to do a load trace with your local snow loads and determine footing sizes for your soil. That is not something we can do on the forum with any degree of accuracy.

Thus this plan is "not ready for prime time" -ie building department submission. That said you could have a good running start on working with the local draftsperson, home designer or engineer.

Squirl

I am very sorry.  I was just trying not to offend anyone.  I thought my post was steering away from commenting on the cabin that was built. (by the way, it is gorgeous)  I am a bit new here, just trying to learn the etiquette.
I further researched the well topic.  I found that the DCNR has changed its interpretation of the regulation.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/groundwater/water_well_faq.aspx
The nice thing about PA is that since 1966 all licensed well drillers had to file a geological survey for every well.  All of these are on line.  So you can check all your neighbors wells to get a good estimate of the ground you are about to drill into.  It can all be found on the PaGWIS web portal.  Here is a link:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/groundwater/PaGWIS/SelectRecords.asp?Type=All&UserType=
You could try pointing a well, (http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm) but you probably won't get very far in the mountains.  You could rent or buy a rig, they are fast, but can be expensive. There are many topics here on that subject.  Or, you could build a rig, cheap, but very labor intensive and slow. 
Here is a really great guide on the subject:
www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resources/technical-briefs/43-simple-drilling-methods.pdf
There are dozens of technical briefs on water and waste management issues on that website that may help you with your greywater management design.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/well/resources/technical-briefs/

glenn kangiser

No problem, Squirl. 

We're not big on etiquette here because we want people to be able to jump in as new members and learn and teach without intimidation. 

I have belonged to many clubs over the years and quit because of  politics destroying the fun, therefore I run the forum the way I want to see it.

While I may sound political in the off topics because I preach so much against them, I am actually anti-political and anti-authoritarian.

I just want all members and new members to feel at ease here.  I want women and new ones to be able to jump into a conversation without being intimidated.  This is a place to teach and learn without fear of asking a stupid question or getting a smart alec answer.

The cocky wise acres you will see on other forums making rude comments to new or uninformed people last about 5 minutes here before I run them off.  That includes building inspectors on ego trips, but we welcome any who are willing to be nice, teach and learn according to our policies.  ie: be nice - have fun - teach - learn - generally stick to a topic within reason but don't have a cow about it.

Not implying that I had a problem with you as I didn't -- I could see you were just worried about someone thinking you were allowing the topic to drift.  Go ahead -- let it drift a bit.  There's another fish over there under that log you never would have found if you hadn't drifted into it.

Carry on. :)

river place

This is applicable to our build project we're planning on starting in the fall.  Our design will have a 20x60 main house, a dogtrot connection at one end that forms a L and at the other end of the dogtrot will be a 20x16 additon to be built later.

Our initial plan was to use local brick layers to build with concrete block. Then we looked at ICF and then SIP so we could get it built fast.  However I'm beginning to look at doing a lot of the build myself as I can build wall sections in my barn and store them until ready to erect.

The design uses a shed roof covering all living areas and on one side it extends to create a porch roof.

I plan on looking to the Shed Design plans hoping it'll give me some ideas regarding whats required to build/support the roof over a large span as the combined living and kitchen are open 20 x 26.

Jens

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 11, 2008, 10:22:36 AM

We're not big on etiquette here because we want people to be able to jump in as new members and learn and teach without intimidation.  I thought it was cause we're all to busy trying to find the spit cup fer our baccy juice, "biiiit, teeeennng" (that's the spittoon sound)

This is a place to teach and learn without fear of asking a stupid question or getting a smart alec answer.
unless you're talking to Glenn  rofl

-- let it drift a bit.  There's another fish over there under that log you never would have found if you hadn't drifted into it.

If explorers hadn't allowed themselves to drift a bit, we wouldn't be living here.

Sorry, thought I'd add a bit :)

just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!