powder post beetle question

Started by rockchuk, May 25, 2005, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchuk

QuoteFrom what I've read it remains effective as long as it remains dry and a coating such as Defy put on after the borate that is water repellent will help it to remain effective.

Note that there are little sticks of borate you can insert into holes you drill into your logs to provide longer protection - Impel Rods- for logs - not lumber - little suppositories for your logs.  ;D

RC: This makes sense, being that PBB's are suchs pains in the *ss and all.   :-X

Okie_Bob

Great thread! Just wanted to add that in Dallas there is a guy they call the Dirt Doctor, Howard Garrett that has a talk radio show on organics and a great website as well. He talks a lot about borates and strongly recommends. For more go to his website www.thedirtdoctor.com and if you are into organics as I am, you'll love the site.

Amanda_931

I've run into his site a bunch of times.

Probably bookmarked half a dozen of those.

but that link seems to take us to a Bellingham (Washington?) site making an all-purpose cleaner.  That costs $40 bucks a quart. (but if you're in the area you can get two quarts for that--wow!)

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/

(what was that earlier site--aaahhh--thedirtdoctor as opposed to dirtdoctor)

rockchuk

Just a couple more thots on this....definitely spray the borate HOT...at least as hot as your sprayer will stand it.  The hotter fluid definitely soaks in better.

Also, I gave it all two coats, and when dry there is a lovely, very fine layer of whitish crystals on the wood when you look carefully.  It does not just rub off easily either (though it would wash off).  I can see how the bugs would be repelled.

I made the mistake of leaving a pint or so of boarate in the sprayer where it cooled off.  Wrong!  Had to do a bit of work to unclog the whole thing....crystals everywhere, but again, the hot liquid sprayed with no problems.

Also, I left a gallon or so of the borate in an open pan where I could dip or brush the odd piece of board or blocking ...thus did not have to worry about the sprayer jamming.

Thanks again for the great idea on using borate!  If nothing else but for peace of mind, when I build new I'm going to thourougly spray all framing before buttoning it up....perhaps also the siding too before painting....

Amanda_931

I wonder if it repels

[glb]carpenter bees![/glb]
I don't love them.  Papa is really territorial, so he buzzes around you to make sure you're not another bee.  Mama chews neat 5/16" holes in wood.  Paint helps repel them.  Asphalt paint doesn't.  Limewash might.  Somebody who built with sassafras didn't get hit for over twenty years, but then did.

They look like bumble bees but aren't.  They will sting, but don't go out of their way to.