any engineers in the house?

Started by Jens, February 07, 2010, 11:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Jens just out of curoisity what is with the carport?  It appears to have a big sag in the roofline. Maybe just an illusion but not from how I am seeing it.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Looked like a heeljoint thrust failure. This thing is the deathstar, Stay on target Luke  ;)

poppy

Don_P, I admire your patience.  I'm thinking that the joists in question are the second level floor joists.

Jens, was that second floor added later to an original one story house?  Also 24x30 is 720 sf.  Where does the 2080 sf come from?  Looks like maybe the first floor is 720 sf and the second floor something less?

Don_P

Ahhh! Thanks Poppy that looks better.

If that's right we just need to know about the roof width and bearing points.

Jens

The roof?  All the tails there, and on the second floor are just scabbed on, without enough overlap for good strength.  They will be replaced.  Next week, I'll be tearing off and reframing the whole second floor roof. 

The pic from the side is the one to go with, unfortunately I don't have one.  In other words, the beam will go perpendicular to the joists, and the joists run parallel to the front wall of the house.  There are two load bearing walls upstairs, one of them is over the main spine of the house, the other is 4 feet into joist line under question.  The roof is 24' plate to plate, 3.5 pitch.  Will be 2x6 joists, and 2x6 rafters (18' long).  Architectural shingles, 1/2" CDX sheathing.  So the joists go like this, start on supporting wall, go 3.4 feet-second floor load bearing wall (bears weight of ceiling) 10' long, then go 10 feet-exterior wall above, beam below, then go 4 feet-exterior wall 1st floor.

house is 2800 square feet total, about 720 is upstairs. 

Here is a section drawing.  Computer crashed last night as I was trying to post this.

Beyond the beam to the right, there is a wall that supports the second floor.

I will start a thread on this house if people are interested, it will be quite a project, and is actually my job, so progress won't be as slow as on my house.  John, Glen, Don, you guys have any objections to this (not really the focus of this sight)?
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!