20 x 30 1.5 in Bush Alaska

Started by vanbavel, July 18, 2010, 08:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanbavel

I have started construction on my site in Skwentna, Alaska, a very small bush community about 75 air miles northwest of Anchorage.  I am doing a lot of the work by myself.  Logistics are difficult, as the nearest road access is about 70 miles away. Whatever does not fit into our small plane (nearly everything) must be freighted in by river ($$).  Another alternative is to wait for winter and run freight sleds with snowmachines.  I wanted to get going this summer, so I am using spruce from the site milled with a bandsaw mill for about half of the framing lumber.  The rest of the shell framing and sheet goods are being freighted in on the river.  I will sled in the rest this winter and finish (hopefully) next spring.  As of yesterday, I have both beams set.   I will be back out next week. [chainsaw]

Photos:
This is what the site looked like before preparation

The trail to the site was put in using a mini-excavator and a chainsaw

I used a friend's mini-excavator that he had previously brought in on the river.

After cutting down about 40 trees, I was finally able to see Mt. Yenlo. This will be the future view from the living room

This is the first post in. Notice the aluminum wrapped around the AWW 6x6 to prevent frost jacking. The ground here is very wet. Water bearing sand/gravel is hit at about 3 feet. I placed the post on top of a large concrete paver and packed clean gravel around the post.

Note the cross braces on the posts. I used these to build the beam more or less in place, as I am working alone. I would have had a hard time lifting that thing into place.

astidham

Looks like you are off to a good start vanbavel, good luck!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Solar Burrito

Great start. All-hail the mini excavator! That's a good friend to have.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

upa

looking good, looking forward to seeing more of your progress :)

Sassy

w*  looking forward to seeing your progress!  Beautiful area  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free