Mini 8x8 in New York

Started by Micah, June 25, 2010, 12:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micah

I have a previous post that I started about building a cabin in New York. Well after a long talk with the wife we decided that we didn't like that property because It wasn't wooded. After talking with the guy we where buy the property from he told us about another lot that he has. Its 12 acres half wooded. After taking several trips up and looking around we decided we liked it. Here are 2 pictures of the clearing where we started to build.

This is looking at the clearing from a deer path that leads from one side of the property to the other.

This picture is looking down at the clearing for the driveway.

I have more pictures I will post later, but first I have a building question. There are no code requirements for anything under 140sf. I went and bought the materials to build a 8x8 starter shed/cabin. While is was digging the holes for the foundation the codes enforcer showed up. He said that 140sf only applies to sheds. I asked him what he considers a shed and he told me straight out. I know that your building a small cabin. There are lot of people in the area that take advantage of the 140sf rule. He said he is more than willing to over look it aslong as we follow 1 rule. The building cannot be permanent. Meaning the building cannot be anchored to the ground. So now Im not sure how to go about this. My original plan was a post and beam like in the little house plan. He had mentioned about building on skids. Only problem with that is my building spot is slopped. To cut this short I used google sketchup and did this.

The slop is pretty accurate. Short side is about foot of the ground and the long side is about 34 inches. The floor is 2x8 and the posts are 4x4. The bracing is 2x4. Does this look like it would hold?  I plan to do a shed style roof just because of simplicity.

Squirl

I just used the pre-made concrete deck piers that you get at Home Cheapo.

What county?

Micah

Its in Cattaraugus County. I had thought about using the deck block but I wasnt sure how stable they would be with 34 inches of 4x4 post before you get to the floor.

Squirl

You could probably dig down and fill each hole with gravel and tamp it down tight. I don't really think frost heave will be a big issue with an 8x8.  My posts are around 24-30 inches for the longest.  No problems.

MountainDon

I was thinking of doing 8x16 concrete blocks too, but cementing them in at least one of the two center holes. The real problem I see with something like that though is it becomes difficult to call the building portable when it's elevated so much. How would one explain to an inspector how it was possible to skid the shed to another location?

The solution might be to excavate and level the building spot so the shed could sit on a couple of 4x6 or 6x6 PT timber skids.

One side skid skid of our shed does sit on a one block high set of 8x16 blocks and the other skid is dug in an inch or so on the high side of the slope.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

325ABN

Who is he to say what is a shed and what is not? d*

John Raabe

In an 8x8 building you can use the plans for the skid foundation for sheds and playhouses from the Enchilada Plans set booklet (basically a double 2x12 girder). You support the upper two corners on two preformed pier blocks (the plans show a gravel trench footing for a level site). Support the other end of the girder on another pair of pier blocks with a braced post to the beam. Thus the whole thing is sitting on 4 pier blocks. When it comes time to move it (one could argue) we just pull off the braces and (carefully) drag the skid and building off the piers. Put the braces together with double-headed nails to prove it. For an 8' wide building, 2x8 joists are overbuilt but will add stiffness.

Get the best bearing you can for the pier blocks and provide a way to be able to shim the posts if needed.

Note, this isn't up to permanent home building standards! d*
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Micah

@MountianDon: I had thought about using 8x16 concrete blocks, too. Kind of like speedfunk did here http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5741.0 I even bought the blocks and took them up. After I got everything level it felt to wobbly. Thats when I decided to start digging for the the sonotubes. Excavating is going to be a last resort. I would have to do it by hand and the ground up there is 90% rock. Took me 2 hours to dig 1 4 foot deep hole.

@325ABN: He's the codes enforcer thats who.  ;) Luckily he's a good guy and will bend. Thats why im going to abide by his only rule.

@John Raabe: Could you explain to me what a skid foundation is? I have a different picture of it in my head that what you described. To me a skid foundation is a couple of the blue hard wood pallets nailed to gether and leveled up. Then again im part redneck.

speedfunk

Micah,

We dug down a blocks worth , filled with sand I think to get level then stacked from there.  It really hasn't moved but I guess it really depends on your soil type. 

I'm excited to watch your progress!!! Congrats on getting the woods...it's nice to have privacy and firewood to keep warm.  BTW Rednecks build the best structures...it's been proven over and over again.

Jeff

MountainDon

Quote from: 325ABN on June 25, 2010, 02:22:28 PM
Who is he to say what is a shed and what is not?

Many places have "gotchas" written right into their rule base. Things like a bed or even a platform that could double as a bunk, sinks for another.

There's no sense antagonizing the county representative. Sounds to me like you have a reasonable guy there, Micah. If the portability is his only requirement you are doing well.

I understand why you don't want to level the site by hand. That's a lot of work. We were lucky we could use the neighbor and his skidsteer.

Our shed moves slightly in winter. I have a turnbuckle and strap across the door (opposite corners) and have to give it a half turn one way after the ground freezes good, and back in the spring. Other than that there's nothing I notice.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

A skid foundation is what supports (and hopefully holds together) a small movable building. If you built a shed on two logs that you would drag with your tractor, that would be a skid foundation.

"A plank, log, or timber, usually one of a pair, used as a support or as a track for sliding or rolling heavy objects." = skid definition

Micah

@speedfunk: Ill let you in on a little know redneck secret. This was pass on to me by the reddest neck you could ever hope not to meet. He said "It doesn't matter what you do in life aslong as you have a lawn gnome, broken washer or dryer, a pink flamingo, and a "parts" car on your lawn. You will be fine." Im still waiting on my "parts car"  ;)

@MountainDon: The codes enforcer is a really good guy. Being the sheds only 8x8 Im not to worried about frost heave. Like you if I have to shim the door or window during seasons, oh well atleast I didnt have to hook up to the grid or have city water and sewer brought to the place.

Micah

@John Raabe: So basicly its just 2 posts (4x4 6x6 etc...) laid parallel and you build your floor on top of that? 

John Raabe

Double 2x12s form the girder/skid on each side. Then the floor joists sit inside these from hangers just as in your diagram. Support either end of the girder as I suggested in the earlier post.

325ABN

Ok I understand now.

In my town we dont need no stinking code enforcer cause we have no codes. Well we actually we do have a few state codes we  need to deal with in regars to septic, well, set back and such. Just nobody that will come into my structure that has the power to say yay or nay.

Tom

I love this country, but I'm not a big fan of governement. Don't get me wrong; I know that we need a system in place or we'll have chaos. I just feel like we have less and less control over what we are "allowed" to do with our own property. I also feel that the regulations and permits are in place not just to keep us safe, but also so that they have another way to tax us.

I understand that when you're in plain view of a neighbor, there need to be rules as to what's allowed and what's not. No one wants to look out of their window at a junkyard, but when you have some acreage and you're not hurting anyone, I don't see the need to have the govt. telling me what I can do with property. I paid for it with my own money and I faithfully pay my tax each year. Now I just want them to leave me alone.

My small cabin won't be seen from the road, nor will it be in sight of any neighbors. I've decided to take my chances and to build without bringing it up with anyone in the township. It's going to be 200 square feet and it will look nice when I'm finished. I figur that what they don't know won't hurt me.

Maybe this makes me a redneck.

Can someone tell me where I can buy one of those pink flamingos?  :)

OkieJohn2

I ran across this at the MSN homepage, it reminded me of this post, so perhaps it might be helpful.
http://realestate.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=24570024&GT1=35000
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

MountainDon

Quote from: Tom on June 26, 2010, 05:13:53 PM

Can someone tell me where I can buy one of those pink flamingos?  :)

I see the tongue in your cheek, but if you Google "buy pink flamingo" you'd be amazed..........   ;D