16 X 36 in Utah

Started by suburbancowboy, January 22, 2009, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

The next week we started the roof.

Here is my father in law helping with the roof.  He is a monkey man.  62 years old and he works my butt under the table. I guess that is what you get when you put a construction man against a computer programmer.

suburbancowboy

Here are some more progress photos.  My crazy father in law was all over the roof making his wife sick.

West side of the bunkhouse.

I have more that I still need to download from the camera.

Arizona Highlander

Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

OlJarhead

On stove pipes:  I've found that here in Washington only certain types of stoves are allowed and most of them are catalytic type stoves -- which require insulated pipe the entire way or so I'm told.

However, a 3 or 4 foot section is about $100 so I figured I'd spend $600 to $700 for piping.

I've purchased the Vermont Aspen but haven't read the book on it yet so don't know if it requires insulated pipe (I doubt it since it isn't a catalytic) but I'm facing a similar issue in terms of placement.  I want this one on the wall so planned to install it under the small loft on the end with the pipe running to under the loft (per clearances) and then out the wall and up through the lookout/roof on the west wall.  I'll end up with about 14 feet of pipe outside the cabin.

One thing I was lead to beleive is that the insulated pipe helped create a better draft even when run outside (two 90 degree bends I'm guessing) becuase it's insulated.  Also, cleaning is a breeze this way becuase you use a T outside and this has the stove pipe going up and an access point under it -- thus you can clean it out by simply opening the access and running a brush though with no mess outside.

However, as Don points out, I suspect you lose heating by running the pipe this way.

Another thing to consider though, is that Vermont Aspen is an 18,000 BTU unit while most other small stoves I found were 40,000 to as much as 100,000 BTU's and those units won't matter since they put out so much heat you'll be asking to get rid of it :)  Unless in a big cabin!

OlJarhead

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-95622685483394/duratech5to8.pdf

You might find this helpful -- also on their site I see pipe around $50-$90 per piece...not sure of length yet.

OlJarhead

Great pics!  I'm jealous!  Geez...time to get back it!  OK maybe when it's a little warmer :P

I was wrong on the stove pipe prices by the way -- it's $50+ and then add a specific amount for length my test on SS double walled pipe was $180 for a 4 foot length -- of course that's exterior so it's more expensive.

It was the interior pipe that was $100 so doing more inside saves $$$

suburbancowboy

OK here are the updated pictures from the fall.
With the ten foot walls we have plenty of head room.

Here I am nearing completion with the roof ladder that I got the idea from this site.  It worked great.

Here is one completed end on the up stairs.

Here is the down stairs as it neared completion.  Notice the snow out side.  This was early october but it was a very warm day and we finished the inside that day.

Here is the inside on the other end.

Here is the completed shot of the out side.  I have some trim to put on the outside that I will paint as the same color as the roof.

The following week it warmed up a bit and we brought most of the family up to the bunk house.  I had purchased a small portable propane heater and brought it up with us.  It was very warm in the cabin when we got there.  As the sun went down I turned on the heater for an hour.  I got to warm so I turned it off.  After we ate dinner, watch a movie on the laptop and played some games we went to bed.  It got down to 25 that night and most of us slept with the covers off most of the night.  It was amazing how 6 people kept the cabin warm all night.  In the morning it was still comfortable with a jacket on.

I still need to finish the trim and put a deck on by the door to drive the 4 wheelers in when it will be used as a storeage shed.

Total cost of the cabin, including buying some tools and a generator came to about 5000 dollars.  It was about 2000 more than I was planning on but I did upscale it up more than the origional plans.  Hopefully in the spring when I can get back up there it will still be standing with no water damage.  This was the biggest project that I have ever built.  Also in the spring I will be starting the big cabin which is what I started this thread for.  But I will put that on a new thread when I can start the work again.

I have to give a lot of credit to my wife.  She was up there almost every weekend with me doing what she could to help.

Arizona Highlander

Great job on the bunkhouse.  [cool]
I am looking forward to seeing the start of the bigger cabin.
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

suburbancowboy

I thought that I would post an update on the bunk house.  We have finish some trim on the inside and have put a deck on the out side so that we can get the four wheelers in and out.  I love to go up there on the weekend.  There is no problems or stress up there.  When I get the big cabin done it will be hare for me not to want to move there.  Any way here are some pictures of the completed deck.

John Raabe

Nice spot!

Nice project too!

PS - As mentioned earlier, some triangulated bracing on the piers is cheap insurance. Highly recommended.
None of us are as smart as all of us.